Did i miss the gay marriage vote? | Vital Football

Did i miss the gay marriage vote?

Bikini Inspector

Vital Football Hero
It seems that issue has been decided. Did i miss the vote or something? I don't remember the people of the country being asked what they thought about it.

Nor will you, what do you think this is a democracy or something? :10:

Nice to see, with all the problems in the world/with the economy, our elected representatives concentrating on the really important issues. Why, before you know it they'll be banning fox hunting.

That's why we have elected officials! Plus who gives a fiddlers if two people of the same sex want to get married? The outrage is it wasn't allowed twenty odd years ago at least

It's hardly over. It's got a second reading and loads of Tories voted against it. It still has to go to the House of Lords which will probably reject it. Of course, that'll just delay it.
Anyway, you all know my views. For me the term "gay marriage" is an oxymoron. I accept civil partnership but no more.
That is all.

SKEGGY - 5/2/2013 21:25

That's why we have elected officials! Plus who gives a fiddlers if two people of the same sex want to get married? The outrage is it wasn't allowed twenty odd years ago at least

Thing is these elected officials can also declare war and change the fabric of society without consulting the people who elected them.

Some vicars etc have a problem with it, they should have the choice and not have it forced on them by the political classes. Who make a hash of everything.

Personally I think we should have direct democracy, we should be offered a vote on all things concerning public life. That way nobody gets left out, including gay people.

Can't believe in 2013 this is still up for debate. Not sure why people are against it. The churches have no obligation to accept to do gay weddings etc, its up to them. But its someones human right to be able to get married. People don't choose who they fall for, they're no different, they're human beings, as we all are. Not sure why it affects anyone whatsoever really.

As long as they stay away from my arse i aint interested whatsoever what anybody wants to do tbh, im kinda old fashined principles the way i was bought up believibg man n woman is natural/normal but as long as they do not bother me i aint interested tbh

I completely agree, if a gay couple can find a church that will marry them then great. But if a church doesn't want to they should not be at risk of ending up in court. Tolerance works both ways.

Heres an idea, why don't the masters and overlords get the sack and we sort ourselves out? If not, if this is a democracy give us an option to vote.

I'm all for the gayers, pooftahs etc. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have the Household Cavalry.

Bikini Inspector - 5/2/2013 21:09

It seems that issue has been decided. Did i miss the vote or something? I don't remember the people of the country being asked what they thought about it.

There was a guy from some polling company on R4 this morning. Polling research would suggest the vast majority of people in the UK think this is a non-issue, believing that if a couple of guys or gals want to get married, fine, it's got nothing to do with you or me, let them get on with it. In 10 or 15 years it will be taken for granted.

This is exactly my view, so for once I agree with the majority. As usual it's only the right-wing bigots and religious homophobes that object.

It's not so much about gays. I'm a libertarian sort. If you want to marry a hedge and can find somewhere to do it then great. If a church wants to tell you to politley do one that is also their right.

But why do we have a political class that makes laws without consulting the people who they work for?

Terribly arrogant lefty stuff to start calling people homophobes because they don't agree. I suppose any who talk about immigration are racist too.

randy.stand - 5/2/2013 21:40

Can't believe in 2013 this is still up for debate. Not sure why people are against it. The churches have no obligation to accept to do gay weddings etc, its up to them. But its someones human right to be able to get married. People don't choose who they fall for, they're no different, they're human beings, as we all are. Not sure why it affects anyone whatsoever really.

Totally agree.

If there is a god, (I don't believe for a second there is, hope those that do believe are right for them) then didn't he create man in his own image? He created with all our good points, all our different points, etc.

Just can't see why anyone would deny any loving couple the right to marry (or not) as they choose.

Love the priests being against it, suppose if they lowered the marrying age to about ten some would be all for it.

I find it unbelievable in this day and age this is even up for debate.

The Fear - 5/2/2013 22:08

randy.stand - 5/2/2013 21:40

Totally agree.

If there is a god, (I don't believe for a second there is, hope those that do believe are right for them) then didn't he create man in his own image? He created with all our good points, all our different points, etc.

Just can't see why anyone would deny any loving couple the right to marry (or not) as they choose.

Love the priests being against it, suppose if they lowered the marrying age to about ten some would be all for it.

I find it unbelievable in this day and age this is even up for debate.

It's up for debate because some people don't agree with it. But because you do agree(I do too) its ok for their view to be overridden by the political class without them, or the gay community getting a vote?

If this would have went against the gays they would be screaming that very same thing from the rooftops.

And I'm an athiest. I have no agenda here but a proper free democracy.

We elect them, for good and for bad. Are they meant to consult us in every issue? If so how, a referendum for every single change in law? It wouldn't be workable.

BBJ - 5/2/2013 22:06

I'm neither a right wing bigot nor am I a religious homophobe.

It's OK John. Saurat is just playing the same card as the left wing do on immigration. i.e if you disagree with us you're homophobic/racist.

Oh I recognise that all right, Colin! Liberal thinkers give the rest of us the right to our opinion so long as it agrees with theirs.

whats the big deal over gay marriage, whats wrong with a civil partnership, the terms are basically synonymous anyway. Big deal over nothing in my opinion.

I mean I find it amazing being gay, straight or indifferent is still up for debate. It wasn't that long ago racial hatred was allowed and we had segregation, didn't allow mixed marriages. I just do not get why people feel the need to discriminate, for me life is too short for this crap.

Religion confuses me, I thought it was about living thy neighbour, turning the other cheek, treating others as you would like to be treated.

But, it seems only when it suits a narrow view on 'normal'

I find the exclusivity unbelievable and really quite distasteful.

More made up rules by mankind that just don't need to be there.

The hatred, (and that is what it has to be if a section of our society are treated this way and excluded from what is meant to be - but appears to be rarely so- a loving institution) as an atheist confuses me.

Quite why any gay person would want to get married in what appears such a hateful institution is also beyond me but then, they do need to fight this discrimination I guess.

(And no, I don't think all within the institution are hateful and there are those within that would like the restrictions lifted)