Diabetes | Page 2 | Vital Football

Diabetes

I purposely dieted once in 2004 and went from 102kg to 88kg but felt a little 'thin'. Where I'm at now feels right for my body shape. I'm quite broad and thick set, anything less than 90kg doesn't look right.
Thick set is the new phat.

When I was 20 I was probably around 75kg, at 30 around 75kg...

Around 50 I was 105kg but then lost 11kg (due to diabetes without knowing) and have steadied around 92kg now at the age of 56...

Who ate all the pies!

Jeez Bob you are overweight wether you believe it or not.

I am 5 11 and these days weight 78 Kg. The stint I did in Dubai I could never get under 85 Kg and most times was about 87. Feeling much healthier since moving on from the UAE and BP is more normal as well

I used to eat all the pies! Not with diabetes now of course! Thanks buddy.
I'm down to 89kg now (I am really big boned as my Doc points out), doing some small cardio work (brisk walks, fast table tennis) and have got BP down to around 120/70...

I used to eat all the pies! Not with diabetes now of course! Thanks buddy.
I'm down to 89kg now (I am really big boned as my Doc points out), doing some small cardio work (brisk walks, fast table tennis) and have got BP down to around 120/70...

Yeah I fast walk every morning for an hour to start the day usually about 5 - 6 km

My Nan was the type who never went to the doctors or hospital and was diagnosed with diabetes, in her 60s. God knows then how long she had it but it hit her hard. She went blind and both her legs went black. Sadly she died before they amputated them. Perhaps it was also a blessing?

She had 10 sons, all of whom were rough lads, and one daughter (my Mum) and was hard as nails given that she was just 5" 2" and 9 stone. I'm not too soft to say it broke my heart seeing her suffer as she did.

Good advice above, eat the right stuff, check your sugar levels regularly and live your life differently, in a way that is conducive to keeping it under control.

I'd not realised you and Bear were such big boys?! I'm just under 6 foot (short arse of my family) and been 75-80kg all of my adult life. Currently at about 77kg and never felt as fit. Like you Bob I eat lean meat, lots of fruit, pasta, rice and virtually no sugar, salt or crap. That is because diabetes is hereditary for me too, as is gout and haemacromatosis!

Cheers LS. I have a question mark over haemochromatosis too but this requires further investigation but to be on the safe side I'm now taking a very low iron diet.

And don't forget, diabetes can easily be mistaken for gout especially when pain in the feet is involved...

Cheers LS. I have a question mark over haemochromatosis too but this requires further investigation but to be on the safe side I'm now taking a very low iron diet.

And don't forget, diabetes can easily be mistaken for gout especially when pain in the feet is involved...

I was recently given the all clear for haemocromatosis, I was tested because my older brother who is the same age as you has it and has weeks left to live. I got gout about 6 years ago. You will not endure worse pain! Greater than the nobbers going to the Premier League!!! I had a couple of years juggling medication before I could ditch the crutches which I needed every few weeks and eventually all the time.

Since then I've been suffering with massive vitamin D deficiency which has resulted in big calcium deficiency due to treatment of the former. The over production of iron is negated by giving blood regularly. Bloody hard work though trying to keep your levels right! I was an athlete for a lot of years. I have respected my body and have done everything to help when hearing of deficiencies. It makes you mad when you see fatties who eat, drink what they like and abuse themselves and are seemingly in much better health.

Genetics are a bitch!

I'm sorry to hear about your brother LS and hope that he doesn't suffer too much. You're right of course, genetics are a bitch but, as is said, you can't choose your relatives.
It does piss me off too when I see all these fat things walking (waddling) around stuffing their faces with Macca's and doing bugger all exercise as well but they will get unwell, trust me.