Diabetes | Vital Football

Diabetes

BobHatton

Vital Champions League
Isn't getting older a bugger! I've just been diagnosed as diabetic (along with high cholesterol and high BP which could all be inter-related apparently) and my doctor thinks they're all hereditary. I've always eaten a decent diet, am relatively active and don't over indulge these days. I guess it's something I'm going to have to live with and The Quack has put me on medication immediately.

Any others of you living with this?

Type 2 I presume Bob? There is growing evidence that a dramatic crash diet can reverse this condition so medication is no longer required. It is well documented. Worth a google. Sadly if it is a rare case of late onset type 1 it is just a case of being very careful to manage your blood sugar levels. Consider a device that measures sugar levels and corrects automatically . Dr Bear.

The thing is Bear I'm not over weight. In fact my diabetes probably caused my weight loss unbeknownst to me about 4 years ago (I lost about 15 kilos without trying). It's probably type 2 and is hereditary as my glucose count was so high!

What are these self actuating machines you speak of?

There are like an external pancreas that releases insulin as needed. They are quite neat so long as you keep the bit where you plug them in meticulously clean. I dated a lady who wore one once. It was no big deal.
My youngest son has type 1. It took ages for them to get his meds correct. Be patient. I suspect from my reading that there are quite a few subtle variants of the condition and different bodies respond in different ways. Good luck with it. Am sure a man as meticulous as you clearly are will get on top of it. Exercise is very good.

If you type Artificial Pancreas into Google you will find an article on Wikipedia. It seems they are primarily used for type one.

Even if you have lost a lot of weight already the crash diet could be the answer for you.

If you type Artificial Pancreas into Google you will find an article on Wikipedia. It seems they are primarily used for type one.

Even if you have lost a lot of weight already the crash diet could be the answer for you.
The thing is Bear I'm not over weight. In fact my diabetes probably caused my weight loss unbeknownst to me about 4 years ago (I lost about 15 kilos without trying). It's probably type 2 and is hereditary as my glucose count was so high!

What are these self actuating machines you speak of?
My son in law as type two and my sister both are now clear by eating the right food .Even type one can be controlled a lot easier than in the past.

That's the thing Prem, I've always eaten pretty well (chicken, no fat on meat, veggies and fruit) and am not overweight. I guess if you've previously had a bad diet before then changing that would certainly have an effect. That's why, I suppose, the Doc has put me on medication straight away. I'm certainly not going to let it define me though. 500 million people worldwide have it and are living with it.

Keep well follow te doctor’s advice diabetes adds greatly to the risk of the virus.......Took my son in law about 2/3months to get borderline following his diet and he hopes to get 100% clear but he will have to keep the weight off and virtually go teetotal...

Bob, your aim should be to get off the medication. Everyone diagnosed will start on medication. What did you weigh when you were 20, 30 and now?

When I was 20 I was probably around 75kg, at 30 around 75kg...

Around 50 I was 105kg but then lost 11kg (due to diabetes without knowing) and have steadied around 92kg now at the age of 56...

Around 50 I was 105kg but then lost 11kg (due to diabetes without knowing) and have steadied around 92kg now at the age of 56...
Stones and ounces please not continental rubbish.

It is quite simple Bob. You are overweight. As muscle mass begins to decline over the age of 30 ish one should lose about half a pound a year. 92 kg is overweight for a 56 year old who was 75kg at 30. You are one phat bustard in denial. Get back to somewhere a bit below 75 kg . Google the diabetes crash weight loss plan the NHS recommend. Chances are then good that your condition can be reversed and there will be no more need for meds. Dr Bear

75kg for a 6' 1" bloke? Gawd, I'd slip through the cracks!

I hear what you're saying though.

And Prem, metric is the way of the World - get with the program!

PS I didn't want to confuse you with 185cm either.

Still weigh babies in lbs oz good enough for them so should be good enough for you.
Boxers use lbs etc.

They actually weigh babies in grammes here Prem although I still reverse it myself to pounds and ounces.

So you lost over two stones so what do you weigh Now ?
I weigh twelve and half stones so finally back to pre hospital weight.

At 75kg you would be a lurve god again Bob! Before my knee replacement I had crept up over the years to 120kg. Am now below 100 but to be brutally frank I know I should be at least 15 kg lighter......and I have heavy bones and quite powerful muscles for a geriatric of 68. I too am 6ft 1".

I purposely dieted once in 2004 and went from 102kg to 88kg but felt a little 'thin'. Where I'm at now feels right for my body shape. I'm quite broad and thick set, anything less than 90kg doesn't look right.