Derek Hales | Vital Football

Derek Hales

He worked there when I was at school 15 years ago. Mr Hales, the old P.E. teacher.

I remember one kid asked him "Sir, did you go to University?" and he went "No, I went to the University of Life", to which this kid responded "Does that mean you're thick sir?".

He was a bit of a knob if I remember correctly.

Anyone remember playing against Breach Rovers - 9 Hales and two brothers-in-law, including a 13 year old who played on the wing and God help you if you dared tackle him. That was a very young Derek.

In Wigmore/Rainham we get a little community mag called Action Forum delivered monthly. Last months had a cover photo of one of the local Rainham area teams from the 1970's. There in the front row with his fledgling sideburns was a grinning Derek Hales.

Yes played against them a few times. Played against him when he played for Upchurch in the medway under 18s league. He used to wear a cravat and white boots which meant he had to endure a lot of very ‘robust tackles’ lol. As Dick Tydeman has said , there were better players in that team notably Rodney Diddams.

He seemed alright the odd time he took over from my Games teacher (Mr Feeley maybe, remember him?!) when I was at the Howard around 15-20 years ago too.

He is a couple of years older than me, went to same school, very quick and always in right place for goal scoring, at school remember him as the first player I saw who could score with an overhead kick and place it were he wanted, thought he was in the Pub trade