Derek Bellotti | Vital Football

Derek Bellotti

Hampshiregills

Vital Youth Team
I notice Italy have an Andrea Bellotti on the bench tonight. I wonder if he's any relation to a goalie we had who sometimes used to give the great Johnny Simpson a run for his money. In particular, I recall Derek Bellotti playing a blinder at Highbury in a 1-1 draw with Arsenal in a league cup tie in the late 60's. Goodness .............. am I THAT old ??

I notice Italy have an Andrea Bellotti on the bench tonight. I wonder if he's any relation to a goalie we had who sometimes used to give the great Johnny Simpson a run for his money. In particular, I recall Derek Bellotti playing a blinder at Highbury in a 1-1 draw with Arsenal in a league cup tie in the late 60's. Goodness .............. am I THAT old ??
Yes you are. We all are 😂

Belloti family were only one of quite a few Italian families that emigrated to Gillingham back in those days.

Derek was before my time, but the current Italy player gives our Harry a run for his money in the Euros Elephant Man lookalike contest!

My Father used to say he was useless,although to be fair, he used to say that about most of those players at that time…..

Belloti family were only one of quite a few Italian families that emigrated to Gillingham back in those days.

The site I'm parked on at the moment was, I've been told by a local, an Italian POW camp during WWII.

There is a bit of an Italian community in the area (a few restaurants and ice-cream parlours) and it all goes back to this POW camp.

I remember there being a bit of an Italian community in Gillingham. Was there ever a POW camp in the Medway towns? If not, why the fuck would Italians pick Gillingham to move to?! Was it because of their love of football and the fact that we play in blue?

The site I'm parked on at the moment was, I've been told by a local, an Italian POW camp during WWII.

There is a bit of an Italian community in the area (a few restaurants and ice-cream parlours) and it all goes back to this POW camp.

I remember there being a bit of an Italian community in Gillingham. Was there ever a POW camp in the Medway towns? If not, why the fuck would Italians pick Gillingham to move to?! Was it because of their love of football and the fact that we play in blue?
Walderslade POW camp on King George Road. I believe it was fairly low key and used to house POWs working on local farms.

Yes! At least I think so. My two older brothers went to a Primary school down near the BOTTOM of Maidstone Road in Rainham and said it had been a POW camp in WW2. I've forgotten the name of it.

They used to joke about it still being like a POW camp and the teachers were like guards.

By the time I came along they'd opened up Fairview Avenue Junior and Infants school. Situated almost HALF WAY DOWN Maidstone Road.

Edit: jjust Googled it and could find no evidence for it so that could all ne b#llocks. Maybe it was just a normal training camp/building or perhaps temporary holding station.

Anyone else on here know anything about that old junior school in Rainham?

Last edited:
Anyone else on here know anything about that old junior school in Rainham?

Yes , it was part of St Margaret's CP school.
I started there at 5 years old.
The entrance was on Maidstone Road , at the junction of Harvey Road , and was a jumbled collection of portacabin type wooden buildings.
It contained the infant school , 5 to 7 years old.
The juniors 7 to 11 years old , used the main entrance in Orchard St. , and were taught in the brick built part (again in Orchard st)

Edit.
Just looked on maps , and the former site is now called 'Durrell Place'

Last edited:
Blimey, I've finally unignored one of VG's posts and have been relieved to see he hasn't come up with his customary (as I remember it from 2 years ago) sly racism. Good post VG and thanks. Can hardly believe I'm saying this.
:-)

You've not read his posts for two years?!

He's quite the woke warrior these days. It's just me who upsets everyone now. ;-)
Only read one of 3x6's. It was on a subject that I thought was non contentious but somehow he managed to make a racist sneering comment about Muslims/asylum seekers. Won't make.the same mistake again.

Happy to read and debate with those I disagree with and it is good to hear alternative views. Just drawn the line at the 3 persistent racists and the one that, well, how shall I put it, I just can't handle.

POW camp out by Iwade, I believe. You'd see it if you took the back road through Upchurch and Lower Halstow to Kingsferry. It was to trick escapees into swimming across the Swale in their bid for freedom.

"Flucht Nacht Sheppey" by Karl Ein Großer Verlierer

"Volo Per Sheppey" by Carlo Un Grande Perdente

Two great novels (still to be written)

Now now Jokerman, don't diss Sheppey. I lived on the island some 40 + years ago.

I lived in Leysdown but my snobby mother in law (at the time) was desperate for everyone to call it Warden Point. It was Leysdown.

Actually, in recollection, yes, a sh#thole.

Just drawn the line at the 3 persistent racists and the one that, well, how shall I put it, I just can't handle.

(Autistic is the word)

You can't possibly know that i'm a persistent racist, if you haven't read of my posts in the last 2 years!

Oh, forgot, he won't be able to read this!

🙄

Now now Jokerman, don't diss Sheppey. I lived on the island some 40 + years ago.

I lived in Leysdown but my snobby mother in law (at the time) was desperate for everyone to call it Warden Point. It was Leysdown.

Actually, in recollection, yes, a sh#thole.

I'm big fan of Sheppey. Eastchurch and Minster are fine.

OK -and I'm going to regret this -Early 80's my parents lived for three years on Adelaide Gardens at Halfway. Don't, just don't -and that goes for the rest of you too.

I'm big fan of Sheppey. Eastchurch and Minster are fine.

OK -and I'm going to regret this -Early 80's my parents lived for three years on Adelaide Gardens at Halfway. Don't, just don't -and that goes for the rest of you too.
I like Sheppey too. Can get a decent breakfast in Sheerness, nice morning walk along the beach to Minster, or from Warden to Leysdown. It's a bit rough and ready, but that adds to it's charm IMO ( I don't like pretentious, twee places like Whitstable).

And you can give the car a bit of a stretch up the A249 to get there!