Derby going into Administration | Page 6 | Vital Football

Derby going into Administration

It's probably worth noting that football fans are much the same no matter which team they support. With a few fairly obvious exceptions, and that doesn't include Derby either. When I was much younger I worked for several years in Ilkeston, most of the folk there supported Ilkeston FC first and also Derby as a serious choice. In those days if you wanted to watch seriously good football you went to Derby, they had a great team full of Internationals and the standard of play was terrific, left Forest for dead. Never made any difference to a Forest supporter though, and that's the way I see most football supporters. They have no choice in who owns the club.
And I can't help but notice that Derby aren't doing too badly with Rooney coaching and what we term is a bit of a threadbare team short on players.

In short I'm sorry for their fans and the smaller companies which will lose out.
Who are we going to hate if they do go down.
In answer to your last sentence, the first line of the song would suggest "Sheffield United". Although I have always quite enjoyed going up there, and think their home support is warm and entertaining.

A fair viewpoint, but I can't help but feel some sympathy. Like most championship fans, I do resent Derby fans for the great times they have had in the last 8 years or so, the playoff finals, the playoff chasing every single year, while we have largely been very poor to watch.

But at the same time, just saying that Derby fans are reaping what they sowed doesn't sit right.

They didn't sow it, they didn't choose it. They enjoyed the good times, true; but they didn't take those decisions and they were not aware of the consequences. Yes, they might have guessed some of the possible consequences; but their owner assured them they were ahead of the game.

Unfortunately, fans do have a tendency to over-trust their owners- just look at how many of our fans were prepared to throw their knickers and their mortgages at Fawaz.

If you had been able to show Derby fans the club as it is today and told them that this was the consequence if they didn't get promoted- would all of them have readily agreed to that spending? Some would take the risk maybe, but most fans, if they were fully aware of the extent of the risks, would put the club first and prefer to work their way up slower.

But fans don't get that option

I would not say that "reaping what you sowed" would be an expression I would use in this case, but there are still a good few of their supporters who are completely in denial.

There are people out there echoing what Morris stated about teams pushing the boundaries of P & S and winning promotion as a consequence; this adds to their sense of being persecuted by the EFL.

Derby have got what they deserved, but seeing clubs in that situation, even Derby, does not sit easy with me.

I would not say that "reaping what you sowed" would be an expression I would use in this case, but there are still a good few of their supporters who are completely in denial.

There are people out there echoing what Morris stated about teams pushing the boundaries of P & S and winning promotion as a consequence; this adds to their sense of being persecuted by the EFL.

Derby have got what they deserved, but seeing clubs in that situation, even Derby, does not sit easy with me.
I think that this will be the last time that a clubs owner has a go. Clubs outside the comfort blanket of the premier league parachute payments will now inevitably just get left behind. Their academies increasingly will provide their income through forced sales.

A fair viewpoint, but I can't help but feel some sympathy. Like most championship fans, I do resent Derby fans for the great times they have had in the last 8 years or so, the playoff finals, the playoff chasing every single year, while we have largely been very poor to watch.

But at the same time, just saying that Derby fans are reaping what they sowed doesn't sit right.

They didn't sow it, they didn't choose it. They enjoyed the good times, true; but they didn't take those decisions and they were not aware of the consequences. Yes, they might have guessed some of the possible consequences; but their owner assured them they were ahead of the game.

Unfortunately, fans do have a tendency to over-trust their owners- just look at how many of our fans were prepared to throw their knickers and their mortgages at Fawaz.

If you had been able to show Derby fans the club as it is today and told them that this was the consequence if they didn't get promoted- would all of them have readily agreed to that spending? Some would take the risk maybe, but most fans, if they were fully aware of the extent of the risks, would put the club first and prefer to work their way up slower.

But fans don't get that option

I'm not blaming the fans, most are just sheep (I've pointed all of the blame at Megalomaniac Morris), just pointing out their hypocrisy and like many (& thinking of another side across the river), my memory is good enough to remember how they laughed, jeered & ridiculed us.

Mel & many of his sheep followers thought they were untouchable, that the rules did not apply to them but many others saw this coming!

That said, people in glass houses should not throw stones, which is why I'm not taking the p1s5 out of them now, we could quite easily find ourselves back in a similar position.

As I said, I feel sorry for those that will jobs and livelihoods.... I certainly don't feel any sadness for Mad Mel!

In answer to your last sentence, the first line of the song would suggest "Sheffield United". Although I have always quite enjoyed going up there, and think their home support is warm and entertaining.

Thought it might be Barnsley, my wife has some rellies up there who I remember giving me a bit of a bollocking years ago.
Sheffield won't do for me though, it's home to the Crucible, totally different sport.

Thought it might be Barnsley, my wife has some rellies up there who I remember giving me a bit of a bollocking years ago.
Sheffield won't do for me though, it's home to the Crucible, totally different sport.
Yes, I don't like the aggressive South Yorkshire policing of the fans when going to Barnsley. I also saw Forest there on an occasion where it was £5 for Barnsley fans to get in but they did not pass on that benefit to the visiting fans, hence the song, "No noise, from the £5 boys..."

That sort of trivial enduring resentment is exactly the sort of thing that I can maintain long- term, so Barnsley it could be. Not much of a local derby though.

It's annoying: even if cheating Derby County forfeit their local rivalry with Forest, they will revisit a rivalry with Burton Albion, and if their financial difficulties cause them to drop through the leagues and things stay as they currently look in the Conference, Derby might renew their acquaintance with Chesterfield. So the Sheep enjoy their local rivalries, whereas Forest lose theirs. And to give hope to everyone, it is not that long ago since Manchester City lost to Macclesfield Town in a league game.

Well they are definitely getting another 9 for the financial breaches plus another 3 if they cannot pay the wages next week.

Three more points off could be small beer in comparison to what symptom non-payment of wages causes.

It may be written in some players' contracts that non-payment is a breach and ergo, player(s) can leave for free.

It's a huge mess and Derby are truly staring into the abyss.

Last edited:
Three more points off could be small beer in comparison to what symptom non-payment of wages causes.

It may be written in some players' contracts that non-payment is a breach and, ergo, player(s) can leave for free.

It's a huge mess and Derby are truly staring into the abyss.

Given that a coffee cup has been one of their most celebrated players this century, I think they'll do just fine if their current squad leaves.

All this talk about Derby has brought Rooney to mind. As a footballer he takes some beating, as a man I have thought he's a very poor specimen.
As a coach at Derby and considering the situation there he seems to be doing remarkably well, halfway up the table with what looks a lot like a threadbare side, have to say he seems to be doing a good job.
Wonder where he'll go from here.

Being reported that the players are going to be asked to take a pay deferral. That could well mean another 3 point deduction incoming.

Press conference at 11.

All this talk about Derby has brought Rooney to mind. As a footballer he takes some beating, as a man I have thought he's a very poor specimen.
As a coach at Derby and considering the situation there he seems to be doing remarkably well, halfway up the table with what looks a lot like a threadbare side, have to say he seems to be doing a good job.
Wonder where he'll go from here.
They are bottom now ORF.

Rooney is on £90k a week and like the players will probably be asked to take a pay deferral.

If he can, his best bet is to ride this out. It’s a free hit and good experience. It’s not like other clubs will be queueing up to pay him that sort of money.

As Basha says, he can't lose in this situation. Gets relegated then exactly what is expected happens, manages to keep them up somehow then he's a miracle man; all the time collecting a huge wage and gaining experience for his future career in management

Last edited:
So Derby are in administration looking for buyers to get them out of the mess. Rooney's just been asked if the right deal was on offer would he be interested in buying it to which he replied "I'm not that stupid" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So Derby are in administration looking for buyers to get them out of the mess. Rooney's just been asked if the right deal was on offer would he be interested in buying it to which he replied "I'm not that stupid" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
The administrators are saying that they are not looking to sell players in January but I would guess that could change if the right offers came in.

That's where the problem lies. They have to find someone both richer and stupider than Rooney to buy the club and unfortunately, Fawaz's fingers have already been burned in this league.

He keeps trying to blackmail the EFL as well saying that if they are deducted another 9 points then he'll be getting his team ready for L1 next season by playing the youngsters

That's where the problem lies. They have to find someone both richer and stupider than Rooney to buy the club and unfortunately, Fawaz's fingers have already been burned in this league.

He could team up with Crouchy, but there's still bad blood from 2006...

1632403218170.png