Derby County | Page 11 | Vital Football

Derby County

This really is a sad indictment of the state of English football. There is no way a club like Derby should ever go into administration. They’ve got 20,000+ season ticket holders, a big, newish stadium that sells out when they are doing well, and a fantastic youth system.

There has to be mechanisms to stop idiots like Morris using clubs as their own personal playthings. The fact he’s just turned around and said ‘well we had a go but it didn’t work out’ just sums up his attitude. He’d be liable for criminal proceedings if he behaved like that in any other multi-million pound business.

Get these clubs, and their grounds, listed as assets of community value, and have fan representation and ownership as part of every club. And give the EFL some teeth to enforce their own rules.

They'll get a third points deduction if they fail to pay their players and not sort it within 'x' amount of days I think?

As Peter Ridsdale said when the same thing happened to Leeds, "we lived the dream" except by living the dream it becomes a nightmare.
The biggest clubs in Europe are currently about to collapse, unregulated greed.

Read that Rooney's position is not in danger,despite being the clubs highest earner. Well frankly it should be. The bloated wage bill for players and management is why they got in this situation.

Read that Rooney's position is not in danger,despite being the clubs highest earner. Well frankly it should be. The bloated wage bill for players and management is why they got in this situation.

Thing is Harry Rooney doesn't need to hang around if he doesn't want to. He's got more money than he knows what to do with and could take private jet to Bransons Island and put his feet up for as long as he likes and not even bat an eyelid to what he'll have left behind at Derby.
I think he deserves a bit of credit for staying and trying to get through what is an horrendous situation and something he could walk away from tomorrow morning.
Accepted, Rooneys management may be part of the problem but his upbringing is from a tough council estate in Liverpool and to me he is showing that he is prepared to tough it out, to try and improve things and try and get the club into a better position not just walk away and abandon the club to whatever their fete maybe. He might not be able to do anything about the situation they are in without pouring millions of his own pounds into the pot and I doubt very much he would do that anyway but fair play to him, for the moment anyway, for sticking around and showing a bit of leadership and loyalty to his players and staff in what can only be a very demoralising situation.
Not that I have any sympathy at all for Derby, they deserve all that's coming at them. Rooney gets plenty of bad press but I just think credit where credits due.

Thing is Harry Rooney doesn't need to hang around if he doesn't want to. He's got more money than he knows what to do with and could take private jet to Bransons Island and put his feet up for as long as he likes and not even bat an eyelid to what he'll have left behind at Derby.
I think he deserves a bit of credit for staying and trying to get through what is an horrendous situation and something he could walk away from tomorrow morning.
Accepted, Rooneys management may be part of the problem but his upbringing is from a tough council estate in Liverpool and to me he is showing that he is prepared to tough it out, to try and improve things and try and get the club into a better position not just walk away and abandon the club to whatever their fete maybe. He might not be able to do anything about the situation they are in without pouring millions of his own pounds into the pot and I doubt very much he would do that anyway but fair play to him, for the moment anyway, for sticking around and showing a bit of leadership and loyalty to his players and staff in what can only be a very demoralising situation.
Not that I have any sympathy at all for Derby, they deserve all that's coming at them. Rooney gets plenty of bad press but I just think credit where credits due.
According to the BBC, : -
And what about Rooney?
In addition to the obvious financial issues, there are also significant compensation payments to former manager Phillip Cocu and defender Richard Keogh to pay.
Cocu was dismissed in November 2020, with an estimated payout of £4m due. Keogh won his appeal in May against his dismissal for misconduct, which cost Derby another £2.3m.
And then there is Rooney.
Although the bulk of his wages are paid by club sponsor 32Red, in his recent BBC interview in which he apologised to fans, Morris said the club were paying Rooney "a competitive salary".
Given his status as a former England captain and his country's record goalscorer, it is assumed Rooney's wages are high.
The 35-year-old said at the weekend he had no intention to quit. His contract runs to the summer of 2023.

This really is a sad indictment of the state of English football. There is no way a club like Derby should ever go into administration. They’ve got 20,000+ season ticket holders, a big, newish stadium that sells out when they are doing well, and a fantastic youth system.

There has to be mechanisms to stop idiots like Morris using clubs as their own personal playthings. The fact he’s just turned around and said ‘well we had a go but it didn’t work out’ just sums up his attitude. He’d be liable for criminal proceedings if he behaved like that in any other multi-million pound business.

Get these clubs, and their grounds, listed as assets of community value, and have fan representation and ownership as part of every club. And give the EFL some teeth to enforce their own rules.

There is only one reason clubs get into trouble is because they pay players too much money. No other reason at all!

People can flower it up all you like blaming this person that person this group that group but football clubs biggest expenditure by miles are players. Look at Barcelona, absolute basket case that have lived beyond their means for too long and it's coming home to roost. Team massively in decline and huge stadium falling apart and outdated.

Listing them as a community asset is a nice idea but woill never happen we are talking about private businesses at the end of the day.

And what about Rooney?
In addition to the obvious financial issues, there are also significant compensation payments to former manager Phillip Cocu and defender Richard Keogh to pay.
Cocu was dismissed in November 2020, with an estimated payout of £4m due. Keogh won his appeal in May against his dismissal for misconduct, which cost Derby another £2.3m.
Although the bulk of his wages are paid by club sponsor 32Red, in his recent BBC interview in which he apologised to fans, Morris said the club were paying Rooney "a competitive salary".
Given his status as a former England captain and his country's record goalscorer, it is assumed Rooney's wages are high.
The 35-year-old said at the weekend he had no intention to quit. His contract runs to the summer of 2023.

Which is why of course Rooney won't quit. He's due plenty of money off them, several million no doubt. He'll hang around to make sure he's one of the main creditors.

I suspect Rooney's position is rather like Koeman's at Barcelona, they can't afford to get rid of him (although the Barca position is actually much, much, funnier; especially if you have a dislike for egotistical football chairmen),

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58643421

When Joan Laporta was elected Barcelona president in March, one of the first things he did was make it abundantly clear that Ronald Koeman did not figure in his long-term plans.

Six months later, he suggested he was on the verge of extending the Dutch manager's contract for a further year.

But six months and two weeks later, it now looks as if the only thing keeping Koeman in the job is the fact he would be due a huge pay-off.

There is only one reason clubs get into trouble is because they pay players too much money. No other reason at all!

People can flower it up all you like blaming this person that person this group that group but football clubs biggest expenditure by miles are players. Look at Barcelona, absolute basket case that have lived beyond their means for too long and it's coming home to roost. Team massively in decline and huge stadium falling apart and outdated.

Listing them as a community asset is a nice idea but woill never happen we are talking about private businesses at the end of the day.
Totally agree mate, but the daft owners agree to contracts they know they now they probably can't afford, probably buy them in in the hope of selling them on.

The average over-spending Championship chairman believes that once they get to the promised land of the Premier League all will be well.
However what they forget is that they will then continue to overspend in the Premier League in a usually vain attempt to avoid relegation, despite pocketing over £100m in TV money. This leaves them probably worse off financially with three years of ever-reducing parachute payments to get them back up again.

And what about Rooney?

And there you go. It isn't the managers or players fault how much they are getting paid, they have negociated their salaries and the club agree to pay them.
I was just making the point that I had heard Rooney speak on the situation and I thought he showed a bit of bottle. He didn't mention anything about money as you wouldn't but he did mention that he wouldn't walk away. Now whether that's saying to the club if you want rid of me you'll have to sack me and pay me my compensation or whether he was saying I'm up for the fight I don't know.

The brutal truth is that Derby's players and Management will have to slash their salaries going forward if they are going to have a future. OK you have contractual obligations to deal with,but departures and termination payments are inevitable. There maybe some that could be sold in the next window,although you think that option would already have been tried.

The brutal truth is that Derby's players and Management will have to slash their salaries going forward if they are going to have a future. OK you have contractual obligations to deal with,but departures and termination payments are inevitable. There maybe some that could be sold in the next window,although you think that option would already have been tried.
Didn't we do that we some players back in 2002 with likes of Gain?

Didn't we do that we some players back in 2002 with likes of Gain?

Peter Gain stayed with us,although we did manage to offload John Finnegan and Lee Thorpe for free transfers in 2002,to Cheltenham and Orient. There were a number of players whose contracts expired at the season end (June 2002),namely Jason Barnett,Steve Holmes,David Cameron,Grant Brown and Justin Walker,who were all allowed to leave. We did however come to a severance agreement in the 2002-3 season to pay off Kingsley Black,Ian Hamilton and Tony Battersby.

Last edited:
Peter Gain stayed with us,although we did manage to offload John Finnegan and Lee Thorpe for free transfers in 2002,to Cheltenham and Orient. There were a number of players whose contracts expired at the season end (June 2002),namely Jason Barnett,Steve Holmes,David Cameron,Grant Brown and Justin Walker,who were all allowed to leave. We did however come to a severance agreement in the 2002-3 season to pay off Kingsley Black,Ian Hamilton and Tony Battersby.
Yeah it was a big summer of change

The average over-spending Championship chairman believes that once they get to the promised land of the Premier League all will be well.
However what they forget is that they will then continue to overspend in the Premier League in a usually vain attempt to avoid relegation, despite pocketing over £100m in TV money. This leaves them probably worse off financially with three years of ever-reducing parachute payments to get them back up again.
It goes way, way beyond £100m. The common vernacular tells us that the Championship play-off final is 'the £100m match', and the likes of the babbling Martin Tyler and his ill-informed (i.e. uninformed) cohorts regurgitate this 'fact' without a single impulse from their collective solitary brain cell to investigate whether it is true or not. It isn't, of course, because promotion to the PL is worth between £180m and £200m. The original £100m from broadcasting rights does not take into account television appearances/final league position/parachute payments/image rights/commercial deals and lots of other peripherals designed to increase the income of the elite 20 clubs without them actually doing anything more than simply existing.

Given the overwhelming amount of money flowing into every PL bank account, the only surprise to my mind is how relegated clubs fail to be promoted straight back to what you accurately call 'the promised land'.