Derby County vs Aston Villa Saturday 10th Nov 3PM | Vital Football

Derby County vs Aston Villa Saturday 10th Nov 3PM

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Surprised there's not a thread for this yet... maybe we're all dreading it a little?

Can't honestly see us getting anything from this. Friday night was a definite improvement, but Bolton were piss poor and still had their chances. Derby are unlikely to be so wasteful and we're yet to get a point on the road under Smith. Can't see that changing here. 3-1 Derby.

Very tough match. Been impressed with Super Frank and his team.

Would be ecstatic to get a draw.

Saw a thread on the vital derby site the other day and they don't seem to convinced by their defence so maybe an opportunity.

Head says draw is most likely. But my hunch says that Derby aren't really all that and Villa could go snatch a win.

First half decent team we've played for a while. The keeper really worries me.
I do think we will raise our game against better opponents

I'm with DeanoVilla on this one. 3 - 1 Home win.
Derby's front six are pretty mobile and have some pace about them.
Our keeper will need to play better than he has shown he is capable of so far.

Hoping we can get a point out of it as they on fire at the mo...think we will lose 3-1 though...anything else a bonus...:utv:

Last edited:
Forwards have to put chances away full stop. For all Abraham's work he's missed more than a few good opportunities. Would like to see if he and Kodjia could switch.

Need BB in for Hourihane too. Expecting goals for both teams and would be happy with a draw.

Away win, nailed on. 0-2 to us.

Bolton are the only "easy" match we've had so far. Swansea were no push over and Norwich and QPR were form teams. All in all think Smith and the lads did pretty well. Reckon we're getting better at the back with every game and developing more bite up front.

I am overly optimistic as usual. I liked the fact that although it was a solid win Smith thought we were average against Bolton. I think if the players press as Deano wants them to we will get something out of the game. Assuming that we do that, I will go for a high scoring game of attack minded teams both with okay but not great defences - so 3-2 to villa!

Do worry about the goalie tho.... but I wonder if he might be better away from home. Not saying it's an excuse but if you've got the holte end behind you and you can sense they are (understandably) nervous every time the ball is anywhere near you, maybe it has an effect. Not that he's been mistake free away from home. Just a thought.

Rams fan in peace. I was wondering what you Villans (my nephew is one) were thinking of your chances at the weekend. It seems the general theme is not optimistic.

Derby are still very much "work in progress" and both the team and the staff are likely to improve over the season as the staff learn more and the players get more sued to what is expected of them.

There is the odd slip that should give any half decent team some hope but the current crop seem to have the biggest never say die attitude known to football. Went down at OT to MU and won the tie. Went down twice at Stamford Bridge to own goals yet equalised twice from open play. No other team has scored twice from open play there this season. Last 5 games have been against 3 teams that were top going into that round of matches (2 wins and a draw incl a 1-4 win at the Baggies), Chelsea whose 3rd goal came via a blunder from the officials, we desrved at least a draw and what was the Division's form team, 4 wins on the bounce and 11 unbeaten but I assume you were all happy we stopped their little run last week..... after going down 0-1.

I expect a tighter game against the Villa than against your "2nd city rivals" for no other reason than you have some good footballers who can do damage and one excellent one in Grealish.

Man to watch out for is Marriott. Now he's fit (wasn't when he arrived) he has scored 5 in his last 6 appearances and is on fire.

The defence? Somebody did post on our Vital board that it needs sorting but, in all honesty, it isn't that bad. Conceding an average of just 1 goal a game and only 3 sides have conceded less than us. In fact if you ignore the Leeds result early season, they got 4 and we weren't doing the things FL wants us to, we are looking solid at the back.

On paper we ought to win but this game isn't played on paper and in this League anybody can beat anybody. I'm going 2-1 Derby and the Villa to start climbing the League soon once JT has got the back 4 playing his way. If he has half the influence on you that Lampard has had with us, you will be fine.

Rams fan in peace. I was wondering what you Villans (my nephew is one) were thinking of your chances at the weekend. It seems the general theme is not optimistic.

Derby are still very much "work in progress" and both the team and the staff are likely to improve over the season as the staff learn more and the players get more sued to what is expected of them.

There is the odd slip that should give any half decent team some hope but the current crop seem to have the biggest never say die attitude known to football. Went down at OT to MU and won the tie. Went down twice at Stamford Bridge to own goals yet equalised twice from open play. No other team has scored twice from open play there this season. Last 5 games have been against 3 teams that were top going into that round of matches (2 wins and a draw incl a 1-4 win at the Baggies), Chelsea whose 3rd goal came via a blunder from the officials, we desrved at least a draw and what was the Division's form team, 4 wins on the bounce and 11 unbeaten but I assume you were all happy we stopped their little run last week..... after going down 0-1.

I expect a tighter game against the Villa than against your "2nd city rivals" for no other reason than you have some good footballers who can do damage and one excellent one in Grealish.

Man to watch out for is Marriott. Now he's fit (wasn't when he arrived) he has scored 5 in his last 6 appearances and is on fire.

The defence? Somebody did post on our Vital board that it needs sorting but, in all honesty, it isn't that bad. Conceding an average of just 1 goal a game and only 3 sides have conceded less than us. In fact if you ignore the Leeds result early season, they got 4 and we weren't doing the things FL wants us to, we are looking solid at the back.

On paper we ought to win but this game isn't played on paper and in this League anybody can beat anybody. I'm going 2-1 Derby and the Villa to start climbing the League soon once JT has got the back 4 playing his way. If he has half the influence on you that Lampard has had with us, you will be fine.

Definitely the toughest game of the season so far. I was hugely impressed in both Derby's cup games against Utd and Chelsea.

I'd be happy to take a draw as we are even more of a work in progress at the minute.

Should be a good game no matter what happens.

On a par with Sheff Utd away I'd say, possibly fractionally less difficult. I'm expecting villa to step up a gear and raise their game.
The keeper does worry me though.

Tough game, really impressed with Derby at Chelsea (albeit under the cameras, which can up a teams’ game. They played the way DS wants us to play, pressed high, played quick direct football and ability on the ball was good.

I’m not confident but I think it’ll be a good game of football. I don’t want to see us regress to 10 men behind the ball and a lone man up top who can’t hold it up. We’ll get broken down and lose regardless.

I want to see us go toe-to-toe with Derby - let’s try and make them crack, by creating 10 chances in the game. It’s risky and easy for me to say on a forum, DS may be slightly less gung ho and stick a more solid central midfielder in, but I won’t criticise if we go for it.

Well I'm going........and as Vital Villans know......my record away from home continues to probably the worst on record of any Villa fan both this century and last! I tend to go to 7 or 8 away games each season....one win in almost five years, no wonder Langoe junior groans when I tell him I've got my ticket! Two defeats and one draw so far this season....but this is a new era and my last away day at QPR was much more enjoyable than most, despite the inevitable result....! The tide is turning.......a draw at Derby will convince me that my away day blues are coming to an end! Another defeat and perhaps I should start believing Langoe junior's conviction that I'm an unlucky omen and should stay away.....! Would be happy with a point. Derby are looking decent but we're showing signs of improvement. Looking forward to it.....even if Langoe Junior isn't....! :shake: