Derby County v Blackburn Rovers Match Preview | Vital Football

Derby County v Blackburn Rovers Match Preview

Be interesting to see how different we line up, I don't expect FL to hold back on changes. Prob see Nuge back in rather than starting Marriot

Only Jozefzoon of the starters was not above average. We battered them first half and the only thing we didn't do was score. 2nd half was more end to end and they had as many chances as we did. The performance was so much better than the Rotherham one and against a better side.

Carson - 7
Bogle - 8 - MOTM
Keogh - 7
Tomori - 7
Forsyth - 7
Bryson - 7
Johnson - 7
Mount - 8
Jozefzoon - 5
Nugent - 8
Bennett - 8

If we win the next 3 games I'll forgive the 1 point from 6. Time to make a mark. No more excuses we have to show what we're made of and put in performances like that on a regular basis. We need a striker so I think it's time to start Marriott.

Another cameo from Marriott yesterday in which he did nothing. He still looks a yard off the pace IMO. I hope it's because he is not yet up to speed following a summer of rest at Peterborough.

I really, really hope it's not because Marriott prefers playing off a target man that we don't have. If that is so and that role is his skill set then he doesn't fit FL's preferred shaped holes.

I really, really hope it's not because Marriott prefers playing off a target man that we don't have. If that is so and that role is his skill set then he doesn't fit FL's preferred shaped holes.

Sounds like that may be the problem. If it is it’s not really his fault, so please let’s give the lad a chance and not crucify him in what occasionally becomes the Derby way. Early days.

He needs a few starts, the rest have had a go and done nowt special. We can't start calling the lad yet because he hasn't had a full Championship game.

He needs a few starts, the rest have had a go and done nowt special. We can't start calling the lad yet because he hasn't had a full Championship game.

... but we can comment on what we have seen thus far. That is what I have done. In his cameos he has looked off the pace, a yard slow. Not outstanding in either League Cup start

Two cameo sub appearances in the League and two starts in the League Cup lasting 82 and 71 minutes. Yet to impress.

I repeat, I hope what we have seen so far is down to the lack of a pre season......

But you are objective MA...not all others are and constructive criticism can become a witch hunt amongst some ‘supporters’ which helps no one. It’s the comment about him needing to play off a target man that concerns me most as that would suggest a lack of clarity in the summer signing dept.

Don't be too worried yet MA, let the black and white in you glaze over your inner coach for now - The best strikers we've had over the past decade started slow:

Howard: couldn't hit a barn door at 1st and looked very unfit.
Martin: Who's this guy who keeps falling over?
Vydra: Too lightweight, never gonna score in this league.

Too early to make any judgement on Marriot in my opinion.

In response to RA's concern, fair point. I don't think we've yet seen all the options available to us yet though in terms of striking formations, it's good to have choice whether we're forced into changes or not.

I'm feeling positive, just need that forward line to click and find the best blend between Jozefzoon, Nugent, Waghorn, Lawrence, Bennett, and Waghorn.

I am in 2 minds about starting Jozefzoon tomorrow. On the one hand, he knows how they play and how to beat them but they know how he plays and how to nullify him. Then there is the former players scoring against you thing. Weighing things up I think I would have him on the bench, rather than starting, as he has been less than average in the last 2 games.

Don't be too worried yet MA, let the black and white in you glaze over your inner coach for now - The best strikers we've had over the past decade started slow:

Howard: couldn't hit a barn door at 1st and looked very unfit.
Martin: Who's this guy who keeps falling over?
Vydra: Too lightweight, never gonna score in this league.

Too early to make any judgement on Marriot in my opinion.

In response to RA's concern, fair point. I don't think we've yet seen all the options available to us yet though in terms of striking formations, it's good to have choice whether we're forced into changes or not.

I'm feeling positive, just need that forward line to click and find the best blend between Jozefzoon, Nugent, Waghorn, Lawrence, Bennett, and Waghorn.

Thanks Adi, they can’t all be instant ‘hits’ such as Saunders, Goddard and Wanchope...and you’re right, the three you mentioned are classic examples of slow starters...particularly Steve Howard who went from zero, in the first month or so, to hero and stayed there. Encouraging post which should shut any potential boo boys up.

Latest Rams News