Derby County (n/g) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Derby County (n/g)

So the American guy who wanted to buy the club (and was given exclusivity rights more than once), who passed the EFL’s fit and proper persons test, but failed to provide any evidence of funds, and then couldn’t provide them, has withdrawn his interest.

Meanwhile Mike Ashley sits in a corner rubbing his hands together.

As a very basic principle, shouldn’t a ‘fit and proper persons test’ examine whether that fit and proper person actually has any money?

Quite so and this charade of attempted takeovers by potless chancers has a long, long history.

As a very basic principle, shouldn’t a ‘fit and proper persons test’ examine whether that fit and proper person actually has any money?

A "fit and proper test" is simply a judgement if the person has the right political opinions and are deemed to be wanting to take over the club for the right moral reasons.

Once passed, then it goes onto the "Do they have the cash" part of the process. No point in testing people for their money if it then transpires they are some sort of evilly motivated person.

A "fit and proper test" is simply a judgement if the person has the right political opinions and are deemed to be wanting to take over the club for the right moral reasons.

Once passed, then it goes onto the "Do they have the cash" part of the process. No point in testing people for their money if it then transpires they are some sort of evilly motivated person.
Exactly.
Otherwise you could have leaders of murderous, evil, despot regimes coming over here and buying Premiership football clubs.
Thank god for the fit and proper test.

A brief look at the EPL website mentions nothing about politics, character or human rights of the directors home country, (unless I've missed it, can't be arsed to read the lot) it seems to look purely at finance, previous convictions and other rules banning someone from owning a club. In other words, a financial and legal test.

If you've got loads of time on your hands, the rules are in the EPL handbook, section F Deals with what is known as The Owners and Directors Test.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/102375

From what Sports Talk were saying he pulled out of the deal on his own account losing his £2m deposit in the process.

Quite a good bit on BBC site about Derby.
It is possible that even if they can start next season, they may have another point deduction.
Unbelievable debt and only five players, no preseason, embargo on signing anymore.
AFC Derby could be the future ?

I dearly hope Derby survive but allowing them to start the league one season in thaese circumstances is surprising. Do we think Bury were allowed this leeway, do we think Gillingham would have been allowed this amount of time.
I agree mate. £36 million to HMRC
£24 million to a finance company plus £2.1 million to the administrators plus all the other creditors.
It’s systematic incompetence at a horrendous level.
If they cannot pay unsecured creditors at least 25p in the £, they will get another points deduction.
What some will do to chase the promised land.

I agree mate. £36 million to HMRC
£24 million to a finance company plus £2.1 million to the administrators plus all the other creditors.
It’s systematic incompetence at a horrendous level.
If they cannot pay unsecured creditors at least 25p in the £, they will get another points deduction.
What some will do to chase the promised land.
Which is why this has to be addressed football at championship level is wild distorted.It is making it increasingly difficult to move from league one to the championship. In fact it could be argued that it is now easier to move from the championship to the premier league than to make the jump from league one.Mad as that sounds look at recent seasons it does appear that what I have just said is starting to happen.
In a way I hope Derby do go.There seriously needs a reality check at that level and the only way that will start is if bigger teams are punished for their attitude towards finance. Scally fell into the same trap in the championship spending on a far smaller scale.But at least had the real ITV digital crap to point too.Real money in theory that disappeared over night.

But I am sure that Scally originally said that he was not bothered about the ITV Digital money as it had not been factored into our financial calculations. It was only when we got into financial difficulties that he started mentioning the digital money.

Unfortunately, I cannot trace his original comments. Does anyone else recall this statement?

But I am sure that Scally originally said that he was not bothered about the ITV Digital money as it had not been factored into our financial calculations. It was only when we got into financial difficulties that he started mentioning the digital money.

Unfortunately, I cannot trace his original comments. Does anyone else recall this statement?
It doesn't really matter now.My point was even the smaller clubs like ours get caught up in the Premier league dreams. Too be fair Swansea, Brentford, Bournemouth and others have shown it is at least possible. The problem now appears to be escaping the lower divisions.

Having Scally as chairman at least means he has been there and got the scars to prove it.
I genuinely think both Scally and Harris have agreed a longer term structure and strategy that means we can grow more sustainability. If Harris can have the time he can build something that will carry us forward. Allow Scally to sell a sustainable club.Most clubs are no longer sustainable without massive finance from outside. Given the money in the game that is crazy. In part the lower leagues and to a extent non league has been addressed. The Derby's of this world need dealing with in the same way as Bury were tough though that sounds. There needs to be a bottom line.As far as I can see Derby are way below that line.

As for Derby in it’s current predicament, a league one football club with debt of probably somewhere in the region of £80 million is not attractive to anyone.
Even if a new owner took it on for a quid, the liabilities are massive.
The ex Newcastle owner is waiting quietly in the wings but I think even he would balk at that.
Bolton and Wigan are once again going down the route of overspending.
I personally think it’s up to the EFL to regulate properly.

Derby County's crisis could go right to the wire, Mike Ashley and two other groups are still interested. The club ideally needs to be able to start planning for next season asap, Mike Ashley has stated that the club must own Pride Park for Derby to be successful. The ground is owned by one of former owner Mel Morris's companies. Add the cost of the stadium to the debts owed, the gross cost will exceed £100m. The potential buyers will have to move very quickly to avert more points deductions, and allow Wayne Rooney time to build and prepare a squad to compete in League 1. It will be interesting to see if they can avoid further points deductions. League 2 will be even less appealing to anybody looking to buy Derby County.

Don’t think it matters if he said it or not. Would only have been bravado and talking up the clubs financial position.

It’s obviously the case that we were very reliant on that money. You can’t survive in the Championship (even back then) on our gates without other massive investment or income. The only clubs in the prem and champ long term either get very large gates, have very wealthy owners or both.

Even clubs with larger fan bases than ours and wealthier owners struggle to stay there.