Derby County (n/g) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Derby County (n/g)

I'm not sure how that would fly in a court case. So far we have had a number of individuals and entities, who have claimed to have sufficient funds to make a purchase/takeover. None of them have come up with the readies when push came to shove. There are deadlines to prevent this sort of thing interfering once the season starts and Derby have broken them. If no one has taken over would the administrators sue the EFL, what if other clubs sued the EFL over related matters and the special treatment offered to Derby?

We are in Alice in Wonderland territory where the EFL and others are horrifoied at the prospect of an iconic club going under. We are not such a club and neither are more than a handful of the clubs we habitually play against. Derby are quite literally the problem writ large, massive overspending to reach the top division. It is the so called iconic clubs that are pursuing this prize unchecked and only a handful will achieve it. They need to let one of them go bust, only then might reality strike home.
"They need to let one of them go bust, only then might reality strike home."
It would but who is to be the sacrificial lamb? Whichever "big" club they do it to will whine that it's not fair as many have been let off before. A precedent has been set and, I fear, will never be broken.
The so called big boys have the monopoly and behave as if they are untouchable.

Very little reporting of football's lenders of last resort. A select group, who can lay their hands on up to £100M at will and lend it short term with horrendous terms and penalties. The worst collapses have occurred when the borrower fails to meet the deadline often only 12 months on. Ask Leeds United fans.

It would but who is to be the sacrificial lamb? Whichever "big" club they do it to will whine that it's not fair as many have been let off before. A precedent has been set and, I fear, will never be broken.
If you are going to make the hit, what you need is a club which has the record and tradition clearly to belong in the top echelon, but which is on the bottom rung and sometimes falls off that. Someone you can rub out and make a point without starting the Third World War. Someone with top flight pretensions, but with Second Division pedigree and a used-to-be, rather than a going-to-be ambience. Someone beginning with “d” -success doesn’t begin with “d” -darlington, down and dull and doubtful do. I think we have a candidate.

Sounds as if Clowes are actually goimg to buy the club and save the day. Past experience , Bolton and others, suggests that this may not be the end of the pain. At least the fans still have a club.

Last edited:
I
Sounds as if Clowes are actually hgoimng to buy the club and save the day. Past experience , Bolton and others, suggests that this may not be the end of the pain. At least the fans still have a club.

I agree. 'Due Diligence' becomes less and less important when you are desperate to get a deal at any cost.

A precedent has already been set. But I doubt a “big” club will be treated like Bury.

Rooney is an English football hero and was starting to look like a half way decent manager. He has nothing to reproach himself for over Derby, stuck by them, almost did the impossible, paid the salaries, what more could he have done.

I'd be very worried if a local development company bought Priestfield after the fixtures had come out. In truth they should have been kicked out already because they have shown no evidence that they can complete their fixture list and it's after midnight. The EFL is making a hash of this and it could get worse.
Agree. However, it seems to be a classic case of Derby being a "big club" so they get away with it. Remember Spurs getting away with dodgy business (back in the 90's?).

The "big boys" seem to be immune from the rules.

A precedent has already been set. But I doubt a “big” club will be treated like Bury.
Exactly my point, a precedent that says a "name" club will always get let off relatively lightly. I'd be interested to know where they draw the line between big and not big clubs. If Pompey got into a similar situation, for example, would they count as a "big club" even though they're in the third tier? That would be interesting as many in that division could claim to be bigger in recent years but get treated more harshly. (All hyperthetical obviously).
When (if) that day comes will be very interesting.