Derby and FFP | Page 4 | Vital Football

Derby and FFP

Do we know Warburton applied for any of them Pope?

No, in fairness we don't. It's possible he's taking a break.

But clearly no one is beating his door down either.

The evidence isn't clear but it certainly doesn't yet support any hypothesis that he was an excellent manager wrongly sacked, which implies other clubs would be eager to snap him up.

I still think he is a good manager and will prove a success elsewhere. I think he did his best and as far as I could see didn't bullshit us. I don't think he deserves the critisism, in the same way that I don't think Freedman does either, even though he wasn't my cup of tea.

It will be interesting to see how their gamble plays out.

Difficult for Lampard. Has spent his entire career in London luxury and now will be living in Derby hotels (for a bit). I don't think Platt found that easy either even though he was far better travelled

Owd "Spendthrift 'Arry" says: "I couldn't be more pleased for him and Derby, it's a great appointment. He's got a big advantage as he goes in there on the back of a great playing career"

Really not sure why the great playing career is such a big advantage in the Championship.

Not seeing Lampard working out No coaching experience. Doesn't come across as that vocal and he doesn't come across as someone with a 150 IQ.

On top of that, Derby, like here isn't the easiest place to manage. Also, he probably won't have any money to play with. I'd be livid if he was appointed here and can't see him lasting until the New Year.

Perhaps even slightly more ridiculous than our Platt appointment.

Not seeing Lampard working out No coaching experience. Doesn't come across as that vocal and he doesn't come across as someone with a 150 IQ.

On top of that, Derby, like here isn't the easiest place to manage. Also, he probably won't have any money to play with. I'd be livid if he was appointed here and can't see him lasting until the New Year.

Platt had actually done a lot of prep work. He had spent about 18 months travelling the continent learning from top coaches. I think he had also managed Sampdoria briefly as a caretaker of some kind.

Platt had actually done a lot of prep work. He had spent about 18 months travelling the continent learning from top coaches. I think he had also managed Sampdoria briefly as a caretaker of some kind.

He managed Sampdoria but it was not on a caretaker basis; he jumped ship prior to them being relegated.

I can remember him being appointed to the role and the shit storm there was because he did not possess the correct level of coaching badges for Serie A

Pat Nevin, another intelligent and articulate former player, speaks very highly of him.

It will be interesting to see how their gamble plays out.

Difficult for Lampard. Has spent his entire career in London luxury and now will be living in Derby hotels (for a bit). I don't think Platt found that easy either even though he was far better travelled

You would think that Frank would be able to find enough loose change down the back of one of the settee's in his Surrey mansion to be able buy something modest in rural Derbyshire.

At least limps is gonna raise the IQ average for the sheep pen. Super smart guy (alledgedly) goes to super thick place. Tears are the most likely outcome imo

Although I thought Rowett was a complete dcik, I do like Lampard - certainly as a footballer, where he's been pretty much a model professional.

I see no reason why he'd be any different as a coach/manager, but find this such an odd appointment - given the location of his family, lack of experience and the likelihood that Derby will be cost cutting.

Mel's also given him a 3 year contract.

I'm aware of all his prep work, but it was still a daft appointment - particularly when considering he had done something like lost 7 out of 7 at Sampdoria.

I'm aware of all his prep work, but it was still a daft appointment - particularly when considering he had done something like lost 7 out of 7 at Sampdoria.
He was fourth choice though I believe.

O'Neil said yes and then no
Hoddle turned us down.
Roy Evans said yes but I think Doughty said no
So it came to Platt. It didn't seem like a disastrous idea at the time.

Last edited: