Dennis Bailey | Vital Football

Dennis Bailey

Hampshiregills

Vital Youth Team

It's not often we sign a striker who had scored a premier league hat trick for the away side at Old Trafford just 3 years previously. As I recall, Dennis Bailey was a skillful player, but never really made the headlines I was hoping for with us.

It's not often we sign a striker who had scored a premier league hat trick for the away side at Old Trafford just 3 years previously. As I recall, Dennis Bailey was a skillful player, but never really made the headlines I was hoping for with us.
A very classy player with silky skills but not always in the mood

It's not often we sign a striker who had scored a premier league hat trick for the away side at Old Trafford just 3 years previously

Not often WE do?? 😁

Name me any other club that has ever signed a striker that has scored a premier league hat-trick for the away team at Old Trafford. Or a hat trick away at any EPL team for that matter. Don’t think you’ll find too many 👍

And I think you might be doing a disservice to Dennis Bailey there. I personally think he was the final catalyst that brought that team, fans and the whole club the realisation and belief that we meant business and were going up.

Not often WE do?? 😁

Name me any other club that has ever signed a striker that has scored a premier league hat-trick for the away team at Old Trafford. Or a hat trick away at any EPL team for that matter. Don’t think you’ll find too many 👍

And I think you might be doing a disservice to Dennis Bailey there. I personally think he was the final catalyst that brought that team, fans and the whole club the realisation and belief that we meant business and were going up.

I loved Dennis, what a classy player for us. That was a great season- I really got the Gills bug as a 13 year old after prior years of abject misery

He never really made the headlines because he was upstaged by Iffy Onoura, who we were never expecting to become the sensation that he was.

Him and Big Leo were a great Brutal Big Man / Skilful, Quick little man, partnership - especially at Div 3/League Two level, where they joined us under Pulis. Under Pulis and Scally, we moved upwards and onwards really quickly, and acquired some real quality up top, with Butler, Iffy, Akinbiyi, then Asaba and Taylor joining all within the space of a few seasons, meaning Bailey and Leo's stays were not that long.

I also loved Leo- aggressive, not shy with his elbows and terrorised defenders.

All for a £5k whip around.

Said a boom boom boom, let me hear you say Leo!

The great Leo Fortune-West, who's sending off at Cambridge, a number of years ago was the sole responsibility of our current head coach, once a player at Cambridge, falling around like a namby pamby poofter, and conning the ref.

Reminded me of Ray fucking McHale. Perhaps he'll end up as our next youth team coach and be eulogised by our current fan base.

I remember the Dennis Bailey signing making me really believe we really were going to have a good season. He was a real name. My recollection is started off well, had a lean spell mid season and then had a good spell at the end.

This video confirmed that. Some large home crowds in those days as well.