Democracy | Vital Football

Democracy

Skoolboy_error

Vital Reserves Team
Seems a lot of people cannot accept the result of the referendum because its outcome is not what they wanted. Tough. What's the point of democracy if people don't accept the result because its the wrong one? I didn't vote for a Tory (spit ) government, but I accepted its legitimacy to govern. Perhaps we need a different system. Over to you Buddha. :15: :14:

You're right; we have to get on with it. I'm concerned that the electorate will now demand a referendum rather than defer to parliament for decisions; that said, we have to look at the current system: perhaps revert to PR rather than first past the post as it will reflect better peoples views/feelings etc.

Regarding the referendum, it's sad that many voted on prejudices not really related to the EU and the campaigners from both sides exaggerated those prejudices rather than state facts, good and bad, about the EU.

Don't worry. The whingers will get bored, and stop posting, as soon as the latest iPhone is launched.

It is sad that people can't accept the reality of it.

It was the best and just decision and the majority decision of nearly every part of England, and massively voted for in Kent too. So whatever the sore losers say, if they are based in Kent then they are in the minority.

Both campaigns were woefully in adequate in addressing peoples concerns (and hopes), however I feel the EU's remoteness from most ordinary peoples lives, and their inability to engage the electorate, is also to blame for the 'wrong' result. Being told, for example, that you can't buy a certain type of light bulb is fine but, when you don't even know where the decision came from or who it is that is telling you, that causes people to question the 'system'.

That is so true regarding the remoteness of EU and you have to wonder why the media didn't do more to show the workings of the EU machine.

There were some anomalies along the way; take Cornwall. It is a massive beneficiary of EU money from the Eden Project to local colleges and other institutions. Regardless of that, people wanted out of the EU but, the sad thing is, the Government won't be making good the lost grants.

haberdasher - 25/6/2016 10:44

It is sad that people can't accept the reality of it.

It was the best and just decision and the majority decision of nearly every part of England, and massively voted for in Kent too. So whatever the sore losers say, if they are based in Kent then they are in the minority.

If the UK border now moves to the UK obviously in Kent who will fund it, many flights to Europe will increase in price - the older generation have sold the teens a big problem mostly based on prejudice, lies and lack of understanding.

The vote was more a vote against to government and the cuts it has had to make - very to do with the EU - this will end badly with half the country saying - we told you so

The younger generation see themselves as European - that thankfully wont change

Cornwall is my favourite place in England - they have received 1bn of EU aid in the latest 15 years. They stood to receive another 400m by 2020. The proud Cornish people have overwhelmingly voted to leave the EU. They now have to face the consequences on their fragile economy.

I don't think anybody is annoyed with the right of others to have a different opinion to themselves. The problem is with how people's opinion have been formed and the apparent lack of logic and facts used in forming that opinion.

As I've said before, I don't think something as serious and complex as this should be left to a democratic vote. We have barely any of the facts. Neither parties can agree on even the most simple of fact. Its like asking the general public to define how the universe was created. Its not something that should be left down to 'opinion' without a full analysis done.

Sensible posts about accepting Democracy. There are lots of things about Europe that make me cringe from a system that is open to massive VAT fraud to the cretins in Spain that pay to maintain the horrendous and atrocious tradition of bull fighting.

It didn`t go the way i voted but i fully accept the result.

Now, i`d like to see an immediate process for selecting the next Leader/Prime Minister. Until that gets sorted it will not be possible for the inevitable "transitional" boards in all or most of the government departments to get to work. I would think that whoever the new PM is he or she will need to appoint a Minister for EU Transition and any work carried out between now and then could be profligate. Waiting until October means that we`ll be treading water in the interim and that serves no useful purpose.

BTW I have joined this board as even i got fed up with talking to myself. (I was GordoRoad but have updated my name to reflect my recent migration north).

If Boris gets in we might all be winners. As we know, Boris is very pro-Europe and always has been and this referendum has sent ripples right across the EU. Others are thinking of holding some form of plebiscite on the EU question; so, it could be that Germany and France are left high and dry while others start agitating for change. Even Boris hasn't ruled out an overhaul of the EU and a possible further referendum but I'm not sure he'll get in. The fear is a right-wing backlash right across Europe if the EU collapses; right-wing and nationalism the likes of which we haven't seen.

The UK held a referendum with a very high turn out and it wasn't a knock out or overwhelming decision in favour of leave but it was a victory along the lines you'd expect in the UK, ie not extreme.

It's good to hear so many REMAIN voters now saying we have to unite and that's exactly what we have to do.

I think the saddest part of all this is that Scotland will now leave the UK, border controls to enter/leave Scotland not something I ever expected to see.

The Border in Calais is not being moved to the UK, this is nothing to do with the EU. The Mayor of Calais is doing here job by calling for it, doesn't mean squat.

The UK inevitably will prosper outside the EU as can de-regulate and have a serious advantage over the EU. We've done this in the campaign leading up to Brexit.

I don't think Scotland will call for an independence referendum because it's legally and politically impossible for them to become a member of the EU. They have to leave with us or go it alone. I believe those are the only two options they have.

Now, I suspect they will realise the potential of not being a member of the EU in the long term and will reluctantly leave and work with the UK to achieve the best deal possible.

There is also Gibraltar question here. Spain want's shared sovereignty, this could be a wise move for both the UK and Gibraltar and Spain. Spain will veto Scotland, this will be the leverage UK has in this argument. Spain want to veto anyway, so giving them this opportunity in Gibraltar will be easy.

I think the issue is that a lot of the people voting exit, wont be the ones that are going to suffer from the economic downturn. 1 million people signing a petition for a new referendum really is pathetic though, people are just sheep.

nitram we don`t know that Scotland will leave the UK but if that is the way they choose to go then we should be prepared to accept it. It`s hardly surprising that the SNP is making loud noises about another referendum - it`s fundamental to their aim and they wouldn`t be doing their job if they failed to make the point at this particular time.

As haberdasher implies, once the dust settles there will no doubt be a more reasoned Independence discussion across the whole of Scotland.

LancsGordoRoad - 25/6/2016 11:33

Sensible posts about accepting Democracy. There are lots of things about Europe that make me cringe from a system that is open to massive VAT fraud to the cretins in Spain that pay to maintain the horrendous and atrocious tradition of bull fighting.

It didn`t go the way i voted but i fully accept the result.

Now, i`d like to see an immediate process for selecting the next Leader/Prime Minister. Until that gets sorted it will not be possible for the inevitable "transitional" boards in all or most of the government departments to get to work. I would think that whoever the new PM is he or she will need to appoint a Minister for EU Transition and any work carried out between now and then could be profligate. Waiting until October means that we`ll be treading water in the interim and that serves no useful purpose.

BTW I have joined this board as even i got fed up with talking to myself. (I was GordoRoad but have updated my name to reflect my recent migration north).
Yes agree the process needs to start to happen sooner rather than later and for the benefit of the country as Wayne pointed out we need to pull together, we need a strong government and opposition, preferably working together in negotiations with Europe as well as outside which will be tough and any infighting in this country will not help.

haberdasher - 25/6/2016 12:22

The Border in Calais is not being moved to the UK, this is nothing to do with the EU. The Mayor of Calais is doing here job by calling for it, doesn't mean squat.

The UK inevitably will prosper outside the EU as can de-regulate and have a serious advantage over the EU. We've done this in the campaign leading up to Brexit.

I don't think Scotland will call for an independence referendum because it's legally and politically impossible for them to become a member of the EU. They have to leave with us or go it alone. I believe those are the only two options they have.

Now, I suspect they will realise the potential of not being a member of the EU in the long term and will reluctantly leave and work with the UK to achieve the best deal possible.

There is also Gibraltar question here. Spain want's shared sovereignty, this could be a wise move for both the UK and Gibraltar and Spain. Spain will veto Scotland, this will be the leverage UK has in this argument. Spain want to veto anyway, so giving them this opportunity in Gibraltar will be easy.

Head buried in the sand -

France have no reason or need to work with us

yes we may prosper but it will take years to undo the damage that will be done over the next few years

Yes we may deregulate and but also change the other parts to save money - not all regulation is bad

Scotland has just been waiting for a reason to get a 2nd vote - they have that reason now. Once they leave they can stay in the EU - nothing to stop them as they would;d pas all teh economic regulations

GIBs will never vote to leave the UK let alone help Scotland.

The out vote will effective be the end of the UNITED Kingdom