Democracy in the UK... | Page 79 | Vital Football

Democracy in the UK...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...words-hg-wells-coin-also-features-false-quote

Another error on the H G Wells coin.

I actually think this coin is the perfect exemplar of shoddy Britain.

So "world-beating" and "exceptional" it makes three errors on a coin celebrating one of its own great authors.

I half expect to find that some untrained, half-educated, unpaid Royal Mint intern has accidentally copied-and-pasted a portrait of Eluzabeth I from the internet onto it. 😀

Chesterimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...words-hg-wells-coin-also-features-false-quote

Another error on the H G Wells coin.

I actually think this coin is the perfect exemplar of shoddy Britain.

So "world-beating" and "exceptional" it makes three errors on a coin celebrating one of its own great authors.

I half expect to find that some untrained, half-educated, unpaid Royal Mint intern has accidentally copied-and-pasted a portrait of Eluzabeth I from the internet onto it. 😀
No-one uses coins now so they let a work experience student loose on it - socially distanced, in his bedroom of course.

At least he didnt Google HG Wells, come up with War of The Worlds and put Tom Cruise on the coin as a result.

HoofGrantBrown

Vital Reserves Team
No-one uses coins now so they let a work experience student loose on it - socially distanced, in his bedroom of course.

At least he didnt Google HG Wells, come up with War of The Worlds and put Tom Cruise on the coin as a result.
Has to be said, three errors on one coin is some going, especially the four-legged tripod which most people might have worked out is wrong even with zero knowledge of HG Wells.

Still, another fine addition for our world-beating country.

stokeimp

Vital Squad Member
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...it-rules-threaten-export-chaos-gove-is-warned

More Brexity goodness.

Looks like Brexit isn't "done" after all. Who knew?
Pragmatically, I can accept that there is bound to be a period of difficulty and settling down into new systems and ways of working. What pisses me off, however, is those Brexiteers who argued that leaving the EU would cut red tape for British businesses- that is naivety to the nth degree - any EU wide system of documentation is bound to be replaced with a different form of EU/UK specific system documentation

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
Pragmatically, I can accept that there is bound to be a period of difficulty and settling down into new systems and ways of working. What pisses me off, however, is those Brexiteers who argued that leaving the EU would cut red tape for British businesses- that is naivety to the nth degree - any EU wide system of documentation is bound to be replaced with a different form of EU/UK specific system documentation
And more of it.

Sincilbanks

Vital 1st Team Regular
I don't think anyone can point to any government of any stripe that has reduced "red tape" within my living memory, it's one of the things they exist for, any reduction in red tape will be rapidly replaced with a different set of paperwork for a very similar if not identical thing..

MaineRoad_96

Vital 1st Team Regular
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...it-rules-threaten-export-chaos-gove-is-warned

More Brexity goodness.

Looks like Brexit isn't "done" after all. Who knew?
Of all the pernicious and ignorant arguments, including on this thread, the idea that our relationship with Europe is somehow done and dusted has to be right up there as one of the worst. The trade deal was the barest possible without being no deal, so it was obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that negotiations would have to continue to develop our ongoing relationship with our biggest trading block.

But you can’t fix stupid, so here we are.

Of all the pernicious and ignorant arguments, including on this thread, the idea that our relationship with Europe is somehow done and dusted has to be right up there as one of the worst. The trade deal was the barest possible without being no deal, so it was obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that negotiations would have to continue to develop our ongoing relationship with our biggest trading block.

But you can’t fix stupid, so here we are.

There might be a lucrative trade in half brain cells in a post-Brexit world. As a scarce resource the laws of supply and demand would, you would think, favour the holder of any spare brain cells going.