Dele on the comeback trail.... | Vital Football

Dele on the comeback trail....

Spursex

Alert Team
As I have said many times, he needs to get a break from playing and work on his core fitness to get back to where he once was.

We broke him, we have to and can fix him.

I'm delighted to say that just this one comment from him suggests he and the club now understand what they have to do to kick-start his career again.

I hope it works and whilst I'm at it, well done Jose for realising he's been broken and it looks like he's trying hard to fix him..

Tottenham’s Dele Alli posts cryptic message on Instagram as he works to win Jose Mourinho’s favour

Alli has been on the fringes of the Spurs squad this season

Dele Alli has posted a message on social media suggesting he is working hard to get back into the Tottenham team.
Alli has been on the fringes of the Spurs squad this season, with Jose Mourinho preferring to use Tanguy Ndombele when playing with a No10 behind Harry Kane, and Alli has struggled to even make the bench in the majority of matches.
Mourinho has declined to go into detail on why Alli is no longer in his plans, although he has said he feels “hurt” leaving the midfielder out of the team. He has also said Alli is “being very, very professional”.

A clip in the recent Spurs documentary, All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur, may have offered a clue. It showed a team meeting last season in which Mourinho accused Alli of being a “lazy trainer”, something the England international laughed off.

Now Alli has posted a picture of himself doing some strength and conditioning work alongside the captain: “Make improvements, not excuses.”
Alli has not been included in Gareth Southgate’s recent England squads as in-form players like Jack Grealish and Mason Mount have risen up the pecking order, and will remain at Spurs’ Enfield training base over the international break.
Tottenham’s next game is against Manchester City in the Premier League.

I'm sure by now most people know my opinion. It wouldn't be as strong if I genuinely saw 11 players on the pitch and 18 players in the squad justifying keeping other players out.

I strongly felt our manager was weak at the weekend as he wanted Rodon in the squad for good reason and still couldn't tell one of two 28 year old spare full-backs that they needed to sit this one out. The outcome was that he totally reduced his midfield sub options at a critical phase in the game. Whether your name is Gedson, Dele, Winks etc you just know that is a demotivator.

I'm happy with Dele though. Keeping away from live interviews and getting his head down in training.

To be honest, I'm stunned at how many keep giving lamela chance after chance after chance because he tries hard for the last 15-20 mins in a game dismissing a player who was once so hugely influential for us and his country is absolutely bemusing to.

Come on Ex...not taking the bate on Lamela...you know my stance on that. Shame on you!

LOL

Listen, Dele has shown all the tendencies of a one-hit-wonder to me with Spurs. I honestly think he needs a change of scenery...be good for both parties I think.

And yeah guess I am taking the bate...LOL...Lamela is great off bench as a change of pace type setter and to inject energy and hell possibly even destabilize things for other team. I do NOT like him starting. He is a impact sub and one of the best we have ever had in my opinion.

Can we do better, of course...but like I said...I like Lamela off the bench and I think that is his preferred role. We need quality depth and he gives that in spades.

So I honestly don't compare them...because I see them having different roles. Dele-Starter ; Lamela - depth/impact sub.

To be honest, I'm stunned at how many keep giving lamela chance after chance after chance because he tries hard for the last 15-20 mins in a game dismissing a player who was once so hugely influential for us and his country is absolutely bemusing to.

Lamela tries hard for every second he is on the field. He respects and appreciates the chance given and faith bestowed upon him. Lamela leaves nothing on the table.

THAT is the difference.

Dele, for all his potential, ambles about with an apparent attitude, not dissimilar to that of Eriksen in his later days. An attitude of entitlement. We can do without that thank you. No room for passengers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of an in form Dele Ali. Just needs to sort himself out, and I just hope between himself and Jose we will have the Dele of old grace the turf again.

Lamela tries hard for every second he is on the field. He respects and appreciates the chance given and faith bestowed upon him. Lamela leaves nothing on the table.

THAT is the difference.

Dele, for all his potential, ambles about with an apparent attitude, not dissimilar to that of Eriksen in his later days. An attitude of entitlement. We can do without that thank you. No room for passengers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of an in form Dele Ali. Just needs to sort himself out, and I just hope between himself and Jose we will have the Dele of old grace the turf again.

Hey 10, I spent a little time on you tube today looking back at some of our goals from last season. There was one from Alli, against utd that left me with a satisfying grin of appreciation. He took the ball out of the sky with instant control, swivelled and scored into the corner A superb take and finish. But like you, it is his attitude of entitlement that rubs me up the wrong way.

Come on Ex...not taking the bate on Lamela...you know my stance on that. Shame on you!

LOL

Listen, Dele has shown all the tendencies of a one-hit-wonder to me with Spurs. I honestly think he needs a change of scenery...be good for both parties I think.

And yeah guess I am taking the bate...LOL...Lamela is great off bench as a change of pace type setter and to inject energy and hell possibly even destabilize things for other team. I do NOT like him starting. He is a impact sub and one of the best we have ever had in my opinion.

Can we do better, of course...but like I said...I like Lamela off the bench and I think that is his preferred role. We need quality depth and he gives that in spades.

So I honestly don't compare them...because I see them having different roles. Dele-Starter ; Lamela - depth/impact sub.

One hit wonder? To be fair he had a great first album and the follow-up album was pretty decent, but not as good as the first.

He's no Rick Astley !!!

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

To be honest, I'm stunned at how many keep giving lamela chance after chance after chance because he tries hard for the last 15-20 mins in a game dismissing a player who was once so hugely influential for us and his country is absolutely bemusing to me.
In fairness his tenacity is contagious. When he plays he spurs on his fellow teammates (pardon the pun).

THAT is the difference.

Well put.

To be honest, I'm stunned at how many keep giving lamela chance after chance after chance because he tries hard for the last 15-20 mins in a game dismissing a player who was once so hugely influential for us and his country is absolutely bemusing to me.
Dele hasnt produced anything constantly for about 3 seasons now. He started this process way back under Poch. Lamela at least can point to producing and helping the team to some pretty valuable wins over the last 12mths going back to when he signed his new contract. At present Dele is very much yesterdays man (at 24) and needs to do as he is doing and knuckle down and either win his place back at Spurs or be fit and talented enough to earn a move away. Very harsh on Lamela to bring him into this. Should we also mention Sissoko just to kick another player in the nuts. The next one in this box is going to be Winks who also needs to look at himself, what he is doing and how he can get himself back in the team and improve. These players cannot rest on their laurels. They need to look at the team and work on how they can improve it, not rely on the team accepting their current state.

Dele hasnt produced anything constantly for about 3 seasons now. He started this process way back under Poch. Lamela at least can point to producing and helping the team to some pretty valuable wins over the last 12mths going back to when he signed his new contract. At present Dele is very much yesterdays man (at 24) and needs to do as he is doing and knuckle down and either win his place back at Spurs or be fit and talented enough to earn a move away. Very harsh on Lamela to bring him into this. Should we also mention Sissoko just to kick another player in the nuts. The next one in this box is going to be Winks who also needs to look at himself, what he is doing and how he can get himself back in the team and improve. These players cannot rest on their laurels. They need to look at the team and work on how they can improve it, not rely on the team accepting their current state.

3 seasons is an exaggeration - others have answered that here and proved the point, what we all know is that he has been far from his best, the question might be whose fault is that?

And as you say, he has to re-earn his place., as do others to justify theirs!

Last edited:
See this is where I think Dele gets a rough deal:

Over the last three years, in the Premier League, he's scored 21 goals and made 18 assists. He's played 6,594 minutes.

In the same period Lamela has scored 8 goals and made 9 assists. He's only played 3002 minutes mainly through being unavailable because of injury.

Dele's contribution to the team has been far greater. Yet the onus is on him to improve. Why shouldn't Lamela and others have to improve? Lamela plays pretty much the same way as he did when he first joined. When he's available.

And I'm not trying to gloss over the problems with Dele's game which have been well and truly documented on here (and I agree with many of the views). But let's have a level playing field.

Over the last three years, in the Premier League, he's scored 21 goals and made 18 assists. He's played 6,594 minutes.

In the same period Lamela has scored 8 goals and made 9 assists. He's only played 3002 minutes mainly through being unavailable because of injury.

Dele's contribution to the team has been far greater. Yet the onus is on him to improve. Why shouldn't Lamela and others have to improve? Lamela plays pretty much the same way as he did when he first joined. When he's available.

And I'm not trying to gloss over the problems with Dele's game which have been well and truly documented on here (and I agree with many of the views). But let's have a level playing field.

The issue with what you have said in my opinion mate is that you cannot have a level playing field as people's expectations regarding players varies immensely depending on many factors. e.g ability, expectation, transfer fees pedigree etc, press,, so one can argue Ali cost very little but became a wow player and has then faded which has riled many on here as we expected great things. Lamela was much more expensive came with great expectations and initially dissappointed us and has suffered from lots of injuries and yet now when he does play he puts in a shift when he is on the pitch, but does not have the skills of a performing Ali, whilst Ali has all the skills but is not performing or putting in a shift at the moment.

So cheap with no expectations versus dear with great expectations gives us a good idea why we cannot compare players easily and that level playing fields are almost impossible.

I agree with the "value for money" perception thing. It's a shame that fans and media can't just forget about transfer value once the season starts and just treat all players equal.

Where I disagree is the other blindspot fans have i.e. the not performing or putting in a shift" narrative. Unfortunately that judgment has now long expired with me as Dele has not been given a chance to prove or disprove anything this season. 1 league start and 2 EL starts and a few sub cameos. That's it. There's no data to form an opinion any more.

I'll give an example of the Antwerp game where Dele was subbed for Lamela at half time and they played a half each:

Touches Dele 38 Lamela 42
Passes Dele 32 Lamela 31
Loss of possession Dele 3 Lamela 5
Also if you look at their heat maps, you'll find Lamela barely spent a single moment of that 45 mins in his own half. Dele spent about 50:50 in each half.

Now when we look at the narrative around this game, then Dele is clearly was utter shite and Lamela was part of the cavalry that came on at half time. in reality what actually happened was Hojberg came on, got hold of the midfield and allowed Lamela to attack. The roasting by Jose also helped as did being a goal down, not that Dele, Bergwijn, Gio etc got a chance to change things themselves.

A week prior against LASK Dele had 28 mins on the pitch and either matched or out-performed Lamela's stats in every department. Lamela had the 62 mins.

It's crazy really that the narrative has ended up the way it has. I'm seriously hoping that Dele takes it completely personally and rights a few wrongs when the stubborn Jose gives him his chance.

Excellent point. My point is Lamela is worthy of a place on the bench for the rest of his spurs career and seems to be trying to improve in whatever way he can. Do we really see a 24yr old Dele as a bench warmer. I am surprised by your figures but Lamela offers much more impetus to the team these days than Dele does. Trust me I want Dele to succeed. He needs to look at himself. He hasnt played well consistently for a long time. I haven’t done my homework so I won’t argue it’s less than three years