Dele makes a statement | Page 6 | Vital Football

Dele makes a statement

I concede Dele does not have awesome explosive pace over a short distance. He does not have the build for it. But he is not cumbersome slow either. Also he will still be running fast after the fast twitchers have blown their gaskets. He has found a way to make room with trickery.
If he was slow it would be a weakness but he isn't and the position he plays doesn't depend on it.
It's scraping the barrel to use a lack of pace as a weakness.

As for his passing, many times commentators praise him for quick passing and through balls with perfect weight. Some are underhit, some are overhit but that's common even at top level. He at least tries it and has licence to because the coaches know he can do it. If it goes wrong, invariably we have plenty to defend it as its in the opponents half. He is a flair player and will try things others either can't do or are scared to.

If you are a skills player, you're expected to do the unexpected and be creative, every single coach I know also understands that this will cost you successful passing stats, but when they do work, they can be devastating.

The key is how you recover from wayward passing, under Poch we immediately counter-pressed and won the ball back, under Jose we all did an impression of the Italian army - this compounds his and our weaknesses as a team.

That said, next season he will have no excuses, he has to come back fitter, sharper, and with the old aggression which is such a big part of his game.

His soft tissue injuries hopefully won't now keep reoccurring and that should inspire him to regain confidence in his abilities.

Last edited:
If you are a skills player, you're expected to do the unexpected and be creative, every single coach I know also understands that this will cost you successful passing stats, but when they do work, they can be devastating.

The key is how you recover from wayward passing, under Poch we immediately counter-pressed and won the ball back, under Jose we all did an impression of the Italian army - this compounds his and our weaknesses as a team.

That said, next season he will have no excuses, he has to come back fitter, sharper, and with the old aggression which is such a big part of his game.

His soft tissue injuries hopefully won't now keep reoccurring and that should inspire him to regain confidence in his abilities.

And if he does, we have a £50m bargain who will give others ability to play off him. There are a queue of players who have had nothing to do for 12months other than try to make an opening for Kane or retreat to defend. Encourage movement and passing and Dele will deliver.

If he doesnt, what have we lost?

Dele has put in some decent performances toward the end of the season, but possibly has caught the eye because of the mediocrity all around him. Whether he has overcome his injuries and recovered his form sufficiently, or is good enough to be part of a successful Spurs team going form going forward is another issue. We are however a long way away from being a successful team, and are probably about to enter a transition period where a new team is built featuring academy graduates and young players of high promise brought in from elsewhere, together with no more than five or six players from the current 'first team'. I don't think that there is much doubt that given the players available at the start of next season Dele will unquestionably form part of our best eleven, I'd pick him ahead of Lo Celso or Bergwijn anytime. The idea put forward elsewhere of appointing him captain going into this transition period may be just what he needs.

Dele has put in some decent performances toward the end of the season, but possibly has caught the eye because of the mediocrity all around him. Whether he has overcome his injuries and recovered his form sufficiently, or is good enough to be part of a successful Spurs team going form going forward is another issue. We are however a long way away from being a successful team, and are probably about to enter a transition period where a new team is built featuring academy graduates and young players of high promise brought in from elsewhere, together with no more than five or six players from the current 'first team'. I don't think that there is much doubt that given the players available at the start of next season Dele will unquestionably form part of our best eleven, I'd pick him ahead of Lo Celso or Bergwijn anytime. The idea put forward elsewhere of appointing him captain going into this transition period may be just what he needs.

FWIW, last night I was with one of the youth coaches; his view was that it's frightening the talent we now have to come through the ranks - Spurs recently signed an U-14 striker that we'd recommended to them, let's see what happens next but the one thing for sure is the investment in the academy is really beginning to show something special.

Last edited:
I know some will think I am talking bull***t here, but I read a certain maestro of a midfielder at MC, plays for Belgium also, had more misplaced passes than successful ones, these type of players do do this of course, because they are chancers, and take them naturally,, sometimes it comes off sometimes not, Dele at his best is like this, N'Dombele the same, ok I am not comparing our two to the MC one, but surely you get my drift.

Yeah, so many strengths that he lost his England place two and a half years ago and isn't close to being good enough to regain it. And for the last three years, he has become an insignificant passenger, bringing a bucket load of shit to the table for his club. Again, he's overlooked for the Euros, as Southgate can pick and choose better players. So, the suggestion that Alli's strengths outweigh his weaknesses is ludicrous but does make for amusing reading. LMAO.

In a counter attacking formation he was going to waste. His ball control & dribbling was poor so it only highlighted his weaknesses even more.

I'm open to keeping him for another season but will accept it'll be make or break for him.

Former Tottenham Hotspur captain Graham Roberts has labelled previous manager Jose Mourinho’s treatment of Dele Alli as “absolutely pathetic”.

New Spurs boss, Nuno Espirito Santo, got to see his side in action for the first time last weekend, as Spurs drew 1-1 with Leyton Orient in a pre-season friendly.

One name that Tottenham fans may have been happy to see amongst the starting XI against the O’s, was Alli.

The attacking midfielder only featured 15 times in the Premier League last season as he was frozen out by then manager Jose Mourinho. After Mourinho was sacked and Ryan Mason was appointed caretaker manager, Alli started five of the last six Premier League games.

Alli’s attacking instinct has seen him score 65 goals for Tottenham, as well as laying on 60 assists for his teammates showing just how effective he is for the club. Former Spurs player Graham Roberts was not happy though with Mourinho’s treatment of the midfielder last season.

He said: “I’ve always liked Dele Alli, I think he’s a great player.

“You know last year the way Mourinho treated him was absolutely pathetic. You don’t treat football players in that way to get the best out of them, and I think the rest of the players turned against Mourinho because of that”.

Alli will be hoping that he is a key figure in Nuno Espirito Santo’s side this season and get back to his previous fine form, to help Tottenham return to the top four and attempt to challenge for trophies.

Sorry but if a player is doing shit in games and is lazy in training, what JM did was right.

Don't agree with Roberts at all.

It reminds me of what he did to Luke Shaw. He undermined him and made an example of him to the point the player could not win. If they tried to show their creative side which made them a star they were pulled to pieces. If they did as they were told it stiffled their play. JM was trying to go back to basics with them but it doesnt work with everyone. I wouldnt call it pathetic, just blinkered.

Hopefully Dele responds to Nuno and we get a new and improved player

Sorry but if a player is doing shit in games and is lazy in training, what JM did was right.

BUT...

1. Dele did acknowledge his loss in form and was noted by many (including himself declaring) and that he was training harder.

2. I do think he was made the scapegoat as despite the alleged drop in performance, he did make the match day squad and got some game time.

3. He was clearly unfairly treated as when he was subbed, there were many others (Moura, Winks, Kane, etc) who were failing to impact the game.

4. As for laziness and doing sh1t in the games?...look no further than the evidence in front of us - Harry Kane - over 3 months of putting up with that sh1t and never subbed.

I seriously begin to wonder whether Dele had had enough of Jose's negative football and, like Pogba at Utd, made it be known. Which produced the same outcome, for the player AND then ultimately the manager!

Let's see how things pan out under Nuno.

We all notice a players performance good and bad what we sometimes forget is the formation when those players were doing well…under Poch we played a high line depending on the ability of our Dfm and defence to cover breakaways. This gave the attacking players lots of scope to exploit areas and we did well doing it as the squad was quite well balanced to do this..however JM changed it and suppressed those with flair due to his tactics players like Deli could not adapt to that style and we suffered for it. He does not have the engine to run up and down as others do but he does have the delightful skill to create and score in the attacking zones….

I reckon Dele did no different to what most people on VS would do. He stood up to the bully. He stood up to the dinosaur and then held a public dignified silence until the guy was unceremoniously booted out of the club. One day it will come out just like it has with De Bruyne when Jose tried to bully and control him. Fortunately for us, Dele loves Spurs and stuck it out. KDB clearly didn't love Chelscum and just informed his agent to get him out of there pronto.

Dele almost certainly learnt who were the brave men in the changing room. He wasn't going to be just passive aggressive towards the new manager like the majority of them. Nodding their heads in agreement and then doing their own thing on the pitch.

Dele can now get on with his career with a clear conscience. The upside is that his body has had a major rest and we might see the real Dele under Nuno.

The only disappointment is that people like Roberts speak up now. We needed our former leader to speak up way over a year ago if he was seeing the same things we were feeling.

The Dele conversations just goes round in circles every time a new article comes out about him. He's to blame as much as much as anyone else for where he finds himself now. He's had injury issues. He's had a big drop in form under Poch. He hasn't shown his quality in any appearances for Jose. So Jose didn't trust him to play him more frequently and understandably wasn't willing to build the side around him. Jose is toxic so undoubtedly there's been some something said behind closed doors that soured their relationship. He has to turn things around for himself and he has to do so soon if he wants to remain at Spurs

Last edited:
I reckon Dele did no different to what most people on VS would do. He stood up to the bully. He stood up to the dinosaur and then held a public dignified silence until the guy was unceremoniously booted out of the club. One day it will come out just like it has with De Bruyne when Jose tried to bully and control him. Fortunately for us, Dele loves Spurs and stuck it out. KDB clearly didn't love Chelscum and just informed his agent to get him out of there pronto.

Dele almost certainly learnt who were the brave men in the changing room. He wasn't going to be just passive aggressive towards the new manager like the majority of them. Nodding their heads in agreement and then doing their own thing on the pitch.

Dele can now get on with his career with a clear conscience. The upside is that his body has had a major rest and we might see the real Dele under Nuno.

The only disappointment is that people like Roberts speak up now. We needed our former leader to speak up way over a year ago if he was seeing the same things we were feeling.

Spot on :clap::clap::clap:

He ended his first season under Jose injured but performing well. Second season, Jose went full defensive Jose on us - and it's clear he saw no role for Dele when he set us up so Kane dropped deeper and deeper to be the creative - which for half a season worked exceptionally well until everyone figured us out - and the stats show that story in spades.

So 'shit' in this case is out of context; training was not high intensity (I'd reported this last season after a private game of golf with one of our players - which has since been reported by no less than the chief writer at the Telegraph) training sessions were ALL about tactical defensive formations.

Dele wasn't 'shit' he was just sidelined, for whatever reasons that smug special one decided - and anyone that looks at it can see why. Dele bends to no one, whether we like it or not, the lad just wants to play as he knows best and under Jose, he couldn't do that.

Let's see how he reacts to a different direction this season and then judge him.

For me though Deli himself had his own problems, injury, loss of form, which does happen by the way!, thus his fitness is affected, he is probably 10-15% to blame for the debarcle that occurred, for me whole shenanigans scenario was down to one man.....Moananisaurus himself.

He ended his first season under Jose injured but performing well. Second season, Jose went full defensive Jose on us - and it's clear he saw no role for Dele when he set us up so Kane dropped deeper and deeper to be the creative - which for half a season worked exceptionally well until everyone figured us out - and the stats show that story in spades.

So 'shit' in this case is out of context; training was not high intensity (I'd reported this last season after a private game of golf with one of our players - which has since been reported by no less than the chief writer at the Telegraph) training sessions were ALL about tactical defensive formations.

Dele wasn't 'shit' he was just sidelined, for whatever reasons that smug special one decided - and anyone that looks at it can see why. Dele bends to no one, whether we like it or not, the lad just wants to play as he knows best and under Jose, he couldn't do that.

Let's see how he reacts to a different direction this season and then judge him.

Again dele was crap for a year for mopo and in spite of some on here thinking he's the second coming, never did I see a display where I thought old dele was back.

BUT...

1. Dele did acknowledge his loss in form and was noted by many (including himself declaring) and that he was training harder.

2. I do think he was made the scapegoat as despite the alleged drop in performance, he did make the match day squad and got some game time.

3. He was clearly unfairly treated as when he was subbed, there were many others (Moura, Winks, Kane, etc) who were failing to impact the game.

4. As for laziness and doing sh1t in the games?...look no further than the evidence in front of us - Harry Kane - over 3 months of putting up with that sh1t and never subbed.

I seriously begin to wonder whether Dele had had enough of Jose's negative football and, like Pogba at Utd, made it be known. Which produced the same outcome, for the player AND then ultimately the manager!

Let's see how things pan out under Nuno.

1. Great I'll not do any work today but tell my boss I'm working hard. Because what you say is more important than what you do.

2. I blame Levy and no-one else for the last 2 years.

3. Dele isn't even in the same conversation as kane. Moura and winks are both mediocre but try.

4. Again with the kane bashing. The guy with the most goals and assists in the league. This forum is insane for Son and kane haters. Never have I seen such a glaring example of groupthink.