Dele makes a statement | Page 4 | Vital Football

Dele makes a statement

His main weaknesses are

Ball control
Holds onto the ball for to long
His passing at times is lazy
He doesn't have lots of speed or pace
Not great dribbling skills
His tenacious side can cloud his judgement.
Doesn't hold onto possession in the final 3rd very well

He has plenty of weaknesses hence why he hasn't been snapped up.

Well let's debate this guys. The consensus will prevail.
Ball control....he can be exceptional at this and pull off audacious and almost impossible moves. It's part of his make up. Some attempts don't come off I agree but I'm not convinced it's a weakness.

His passing is lazy ? I will need a bit more flesh on the bones for that one. My perception is that Dele looks for the forward pass if he can.

Hasn't got a lot of pace....He is not slow either, in fact in full flight he covers the ground quickly IMO. In the position he plays and the way he plays I'm not sure his pace is a weakness.

Not great dribbling skills....we have seen many nutmegs and him creating room to play a pass so I'm not convinced this is a weakness.

Holds onto the ball too long is already on my list as is poor judgement.

I dont know how to list it but Dele has big match mentality which is a huge skill. You may not like some of his past incidents but no one takes liberties with him, he is the first to stand up for himself and team mates. He also knows when he is in a big game how to pull it out of the bag at the right time.

Its hard to put into words how important this is and how other teams have had players of this type kill us because they knew how important it was.
Yeah that's pretty much nailed on Hobo. He's a cocky character.

His main weaknesses are

Ball control

His ball control & dribbling are poor, beyond that he's got the lot. Doesn't matter about lack of pace when he's got such great movement to overcome it.

I think NRD has some very valid points. Hojbjerg has much higher passing stats but its only because he does 5yards safe passes all game. Dele tries to unlock defences and this involves risk. He most definately got into the habit of too many flicks which needed addressed but his forward passing is very good if not quite Eriksen, KDB or Fernandez level.

He is very fast for a big guy. Son is faster, who would you want to be doing the press or tracking back. I would take Dele 100%.

Control is lazy. Yes i will accept that. In the wrong positions he can make some silly mistakes. I think this may be a reason for all his flicks in that he doesnt quite trust his own control. But then there are examples where he will pull the ball out of the sky and you think he has WC control. Its a case of him maturing and not taking liberties, not his ability

I will wait for a consensus before updating the weakness list. There are already conflicting opinions like he can do crazy stuff with the ball and his is quick for a big guy !!

is the word "aggressive" wrong to describe him or even does he have a "bad temper" that is brought on with a lack of patients, thus lets get on with it attitude.

Last edited:
We don't have time to wait for Dele to get his act together. He's had plenty of chances. In any other job he would have been fired.

Next.

We don't have time to wait for Dele to get his act together. He's had plenty of chances. In any other job he would have been fired.

Next.

We have zero useful creative attacking midfielders when Dele doesn't play. To the point Kane had to start trying to assist himself. Ndombele played that role a bit but I don't think it's his best position, and Gio doesn't seem to have the vision which is weird as some had said that's what he was bought for. Lamela is OK at it in a pinch. Lucas less so.

Dele might not be as good KDB or even Eriksen but he's the best we've got at feeding through balls. He'd have a hatful of assists for our last 5 games if the attackers were clinical... and it's been a season where without him we've created fuck all in most games.

I personally think unless we can get a top tier creator we need to persevere with Dele and get him back to his best.

Last edited:
He'd have a hatful of assists in the last 5 games if the forwards in front of him had anything like PL level movement. I said it when Lamela first came to Spurs and he was threading balls through everywhere and he looked like he couldnt pass. Players (Kane included) were intentionally not making the runs and it made him look stupid. Our forward players have zero short ball movement and when someone tries to do it they often look like they are the one who cant pass.

His main weaknesses are

Ball control

I can apply that list to a lot of our players, especially Moura and Son, both have speed but with little effect.

Last edited:
If Lloris and Kane leave this summer, I’d make Dele captain next season.

I’m sure many of you will disagree but the extra responsibility could push him on a level or two.

I wouldn’t be asking him to repeat the 17 league goals of a few earns ago either.

I’d play him deeper in a midfield 3 where he can dictate the play more and be more involved over the 90 minutes.

That’s where I see his future.
I agree with making him captain could help him. But think Hoj is a better choice.

But the thing with playing him deeper and asking for more goals is a bit odd. I mean he didnt score his 17 league goals playing as a number 8 (if you put him one deeper from 10 it must be 8) or did I get this wrong?

I agree with making him captain could help him. But think Hoj is a better choice.

But the thing with playing him deeper and asking for more goals is a bit odd. I mean he didnt score his 17 league goals playing as a number 8 (if you put him one deeper from 10 it must be 8) or did I get this wrong?

Sorry Sjm, I said I wouldn’t be asking him to repeat the 17 goal season.

I’d be happy with him in the 8 role, dictating play getting 10-12 assists and 5-10 goals a season.