Dele makes a statement | Vital Football

Dele makes a statement

Nicely done. I fully respected his dignified silence when Jose's double standards were clear for everyone to see. Dele has really finished the season strongly and proven his commitment on the pitch and class on the ball.

A short summer break for him and hopefully by July 1st he'll be chomping at the bit to be part of the new Spurs.

His body body language leaves a lot to be desired. Coming to abrupt stops and swinging his arms when things break down or he loses the ball.. He has made the effort but he is too easily bustled off the ball and can't shoot from distance. His weaknesses now outweigh his strengths. Maybe a new manager he can get the best out of him.

He's young & easily frustrated but the work ethic's there for all to see on the pitch. Strange then why he treats training like an afterthought. If he really wanted to improve he'd knuckle down & push himself to the limit.

If Lloris and Kane leave this summer, I’d make Dele captain next season.

I’m sure many of you will disagree but the extra responsibility could push him on a level or two.

I wouldn’t be asking him to repeat the 17 league goals of a few earns ago either.

I’d play him deeper in a midfield 3 where he can dictate the play more and be more involved over the 90 minutes.

That’s where I see his future.

He's young & easily frustrated but the work ethic's there for all to see on the pitch. Strange then why he treats training like an afterthought. If he really wanted to improve he'd knuckle down & push himself to the limit.

Have heard he's been training extremely hard all season. Judging by the yards covered on the pitch when he's played it seems he's one of our fittest players, if not the fittest. Are you basing the laziness in training from anything more than some of the dark lord's excuses?

The statement is good for sure but notice he said "stadiums" plural, many have taken it as a commitment to Spurs but I think it's potentially pointed that he didn't say "stadium". There's no guarantee he'll want to stick around this summer, not sure I would in his shoes with how many of our fans turned on him despite him being given few opportunities this season (3 PL starts under Mourinho) and being no worse than the other AMs last season.

Have heard he's been training extremely hard all season. Judging by the yards covered on the pitch when he's played it seems he's one of our fittest players, if not the fittest. Are you basing the laziness in training from anything more than some of the dark lord's excuses?

The statement is good for sure but notice he said "stadiums" plural, many have taken it as a commitment to Spurs but I think it's potentially pointed that he didn't say "stadium". There's no guarantee he'll want to stick around this summer, not sure I would in his shoes with how many of our fans turned on him despite him being given few opportunities this season (3 PL starts under Mourinho) and being no worse than the other AMs last season.
He wasn't alone in his criticism of Dele. Numerous pundits have had their say, albeit from the outside looking in.

Southgate dropped him from the England squad & Hoddle & Keane have both had their say. Not many have been overly impressed with him in that regard. Even Sir Alex has retracted his positive views of him.

As fans we've every right to pull the players up for a lack of commitment. I've not seen that from Dele. He's been struggling for a long time but he really needs to dig deep & push himself to turn his fortunes around. He's a nice lad & everybody i know wants him to succeed. If he can't find the will, the self motivation to push himelf, then i fear nobody will be able to help him.

"The dark lords excuses" - love it.

I think we can take anything Jose said about Dele with a pinch of salt. From throwing superlatives at Dele (and 8 goals in Jose's first 8 games) to how it finished between the pair, I guess we'll never know. My instinct was that Dele's exclusion wasn't anything to do with football, least of all training.

You do make a good point about how Spurs fans have treated Dele though. I hope he realises that the narratives that were created about him were mostly a back handed compliment of just how good he is and what he achieved at a young age. There's certainly been times when the so called pundits never even mention his soft tissue injuries. Ex players who should know better.

He'll be our 21/22 player of the season if he stays fit. More of a captain than any of the 5 international captains we have in our squad today.

He'll play a solid 7/10 game for us when those around him are putting in 5/10 at best and I'll go on twitter and see Spurs fans say he's been completely shit for 2 seasons and we have to get rid ASAP.

Again if I were him I'd want to be shot of our toxic fanbase who would rather trust ***** with agendas like Graham Souness and Jose than the facts.

I'm seeing fans like Steve above say how poor he's been when actually he barely got a sniff in the league (3 fucking PL starts) under Jose and I can remember him being best player on the pitch covering every blade of glass in a few league cup and Europa games. Then it's the "yeah but look at the quality of the opposition" excuse and back to bench he goes for 3 weeks with people saying it's because he's lazy... It just doesn't make any sense how people can have such cognitive dissonance. He's been treated abysmally by Jose and the fans and if I were him I'd be out of here like a shot.

He'll play a solid 7/10 game for us when those around him are putting in 5/10 at best and I'll go on twitter and see Spurs fans say he's been completely shit for 2 seasons and we have to get rid ASAP.

Again if I were him I'd want to be shot of our toxic fanbase who would rather trust ***** with agendas like Graham Souness and Jose than the facts.

I'm seeing fans like Steve above say how poor he's been when actually he barely got a sniff in the league (3 fucking PL starts) under Jose and I can remember him being best player on the pitch covering every blade of glass in a few league cup and Europa games. Then it's the "yeah but look at the quality of the opposition" excuse and back to bench he goes for 3 weeks with people saying it's because he's lazy... It just doesn't make any sense how people can have such cognitive dissonance. He's been treated abysmally by Jose and the fans and if I were him I'd be out of here like a shot.
I think he's a wonderful talent who has simply lost his way. In no way would i describe him that negatively, it's far more complex than that. Anybody willing to put in the effort deserves all the support they can get.

What i do see is a player who becomes easily frustrated when things don't go to plan. He needs to overcome his frustration & channel it into working on his weaknesses in training. The lad isn't stupid. He knows what he's capable of & in that regard it must be frustrating as hell for him. Only he can turn his fortunes around though. There's plenty of people rooting for him but it's all down to him now.

I definitely would have been out of here like a shot - but then Jose got his sorry arse kicked out instead.

Dele surely must know that his best way of advancing his career is by staying with Spurs at this point. New manager, new ideas and probably very close to being a guaranteed starter especially if senior players leave. Levy must surely know it's the smart business decision as well, as his stock is low.

There are a couple of issues that stand out for me.

1. He had a meteoric rise, even that being an understatement. That led to several contract renewals and greater remuneration. Was he not the 2nd highest earner behind Kane at some point?. At such a young age, he lost focus with his off-field life style. A lack of a mentor would not have helped and I think Poch actually spoiled him, accepting his 'naughty' side!

2. During his best years, we had Eriksen at his best and Dembele led by a 'pacey' Kane. Loss of Eriksen and Dele's work rate impacted the whole team, with Mousa flagging, no refreshing of squad, the slippery run set in. Further swapping and changing of personnel, we were never going to get any fluidity from anyone. That would've made any good/great player look mediocre.

So, Dele imo, is a victim of his own success (taking his eye off the ball) and the turmoil that set in from the middle of Poch's reign.

I think he recognises his stock has dropped and he is earning way beyond his current worth. Pretty sure he's getting his head down and his recent fitness levels and contribution prove that.

On the pitch, the lad still has vision to make those telling passes as well as his trade mark runs. His delving on the ball and losing possession can partly be attributed to lack of movement around him, something the whole team suffers from.

I'd definitely keep him in my rebuild.

I like the lad. If i was in the middle of a fight, i would like him to be with me. He has ability, aggression and he has physical presence. He has plenty of skill and movement too.

We just need a manager to be able to harness him properly alongside a huge dose of hard work from the lad. I never feel short changed from him in the same way i do Son or Kane and i believe he is worth sticking with.

He also has age on his side and a recovered Deli is could double his value in a single season.....

If I had PL level talent, and some measure of player power to add to it, I would not play for Tottenham Hotspur as it is structured right now. If I was already at Spurs, I would be looking to exit.

Levy's move.

His body body language leaves a lot to be desired. Coming to abrupt stops and swinging his arms when things break down or he loses the ball.. He has made the effort but he is too easily bustled off the ball and can't shoot from distance. His weaknesses now outweigh his strengths. Maybe a new manager he can get the best out of him.

You make a good point about his weaknesses far outweighing his strengths. Usually, this is the guiding principle to determine who your regular starters are and those that make up the squad. We seem to have the wrong end of this stick with this too. Jose, after first giving him the platform to prove himself had no other choice but to drop him. Too much crap prevailed. Three consecutive years of sub-standard Alli has contributed in no small part to take us backwards. We need better players with the required skillset to make us more able to compete.

What are his strengths. ?

Stamina and ground coverage.
Technique ( this might be debatable ) but not for me.
Football intelligence ( he sees the picture).
Can weight a pass.
Can be a cool finisher.
Movement.
Agility.
Good in the air
Tenacious.
Experience.
Arrogance and flair.
Goal scoring ability.

Please add to this, I'm sure there are more.

Then we can look at his weaknesses to see if they outweigh the strengths !!

Last edited: