Déja vu | Vital Football

Déja vu

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Ground Hog Day, call it what you will!

But after watching today's inept display against Ebbsfleet I wonder what has changed, other than some personnel!

Today's display showed the same lack of energy, inventiveness and organisation that has typified Pools performances for several seasons.
I won't get to bogged down in criticizing individuals or passes made / missed, but 3-4-3 won't work in this, or any other, league!

Nothing much changed today either. The first half we were as bad as we were last season, some would have thought Harrison was still in charge.
Nobody knew what they were doing, Kitching was bombing forward into space on the left, not a single pools player acknowledged his efforts (wanting to pass to him). Kioso didn’t look comfortable at all, unsure whether he was a wing back or a full back. Magnay’s worse ever performance at centre half, Anderson was the best of a bad bunch [of defenders].
Midfield....why have three players doing the same job? Featherstone, Woods and Noble all the same type of player. Play one of them and perm any two from the multitude of midfielders we have e.g. Hawkes (impressive in his previous appearances but totally let down by someone who’s backside he got out of a sling last term) or someone with a bit of bite ala Newton, McLaughlin was at least an improvement when he came on. Play two of them but not three, personally Woods would have gone close season for me. My feelings on Donaldson are well documented elsewhere.

Bates, similar to Harrison last season, has given himself too many decisions to make, particularly in the forward positions. Four decent strikers, for this level, can’t play them all, afraid to drop any of them, might play three of them, then again might not, he’s not sure. Managers are supposed to be the ones making the decisions that benefit the club.

This is a better squad than last season but we are getting similar results, draw your own conclusions.

:red:

You can hardly compare last season with this season when this season hasn't happened yet! And one could argue that the manager has to try out a few things before he sees what works and what doesn't.

So far, I've been to only the Harrogate game, and saw enough going on there, to be able to feel optimistic about the rest of the season. Billy, cheer up, man. If we win when you think we're playing badly, we'll be flying when the team gels more.

My initial post was in response to the display against Ebbsfleet which, in my opinion, was reminiscent of displays last season. Having gifted the oppposition a gilt edged goalscoring opportunity, on going behind Pools lacked the nous to breakdown the oppositions packed defence and resorted to hopeful long ball!

Saturday's game with the revision to a 3 5 2 formation looked a vast improvement with solid performances from all involved. Early days but feel we can have a decent season - I'm not anticipating promotion but a flirtation with the playoffs should be attainable.