Defo top heavy | Page 3 | Vital Football

Defo top heavy

Nothing wrong with a weak pound when you have skilfully positioned your pension fund into non sterling currencies!!

Also nowt wrong with a weak pound to stimulate the export drive post Brexit. Its maybe not a policy I'd advocate long term given its inflationary knock on effect, but for now its good. Exports go well, imports fall, balance of payments improve.

Holidays cost more, but really, do I care - its a luxury not a necessity? Capital goods go up in price eg cars for the man in the street, machinery for industry, but that gets reflected back into higher CPI inflation, then it needs to be tempered.

Austerity for sure as regards stuff imported - but we dont need New Zealand apples, American strawberries, Peruvian asparagus: so food miles (my serious bugbear) will fall. Just eat food in local season - its rarer and so tastes the nicer for it, and environmentally much more sound.

Thread getting horribly confused, but anyway...of all the points raised it’s noticeable that you’ve only really picked up on the weak pound which you...because you’re an accountant/financial expert can turn to your advantage.
So because you are a pension/currency expert that’s okay for you but for most people it’s not.
Similarly, because you don’t like cars, have a bugbear about foodmiles and view holidays as a luxury it all suggests a slight case of ‘I’m alright Jack’, but many people don’t feel the same way.
Before you have a ‘pop’, yes I accept that I’m ‘privileged’ as far as holidays are concerned, but holidays are not a ‘luxury’ for many, they’re an essential reward for many hard working families and aren’t we likely to have to do more trade with precisely the sort of countries you mention having pissed off the biggest and most accessible market of all...the EU?
Take off your blinkers Mr. R...they don’t suit you.

We all have our reasons for thinking the way we do - my green political views against food miles, gas guzzlers, airborne pollution CO2 emissions and poor scarce resource management may piss you off, but they are things that I am passionate about. Im guessing you are passionate about "remain" - we all have our passions and not everyone else can understand why!!

If a weak pound reduces all of the above, then for me that's a bonus.

And yes, I do feel as a society we have become too focused on material possessions, overseas holidays etc and lost the family value that our grandparents had. Shove our elderly parents into a council care home and go off to the Seychelles with the money instead of helping them. So a bit of austerity would do no harm in the face of such greed and materialism.

I remember my Dad saving for a few years for our first colour TV. Nowadays its not IF but HOW BIG. We have become a rather vile consumerist nation (indeed that is not unique to our country).

As for "I'm alright Jack", well I have not had a holiday in 6 years apart from 4 days (in the UK ) in 2016. I am using my spare cash to put my children through higher education rather than pissing it up a rope on unnecessary things like holidays, new cars etc. So if that makes me "alright Jack" by your standards, then I suppose it must be!

We all have our reasons for thinking the way we do - my green political views against food miles, gas guzzlers, airborne pollution CO2 emissions and poor scarce resource management may piss you off, but they are things that I am passionate about. Im guessing you are passionate about "remain" - we all have our passions and not everyone else can understand why!!

And yes, I do feel as a society we have become too focused on material possessions, overseas holidays etc and lost the family value that our grandparents had. Shove our elderly parents into a council care home and go off to the Seychelles with the money instead of helping them. So a bit of austerity would do no harm in the face of such greed and materialism.

I remember my Dad saving for a few years for our first colour TV. Nowadays its not IF but HOW BIG. We have become a rather vile consumerist nation (indeed that is not unique to our country).

As for "I'm alright Jack", well I have not had a holiday in 6 years apart from 4 days (in the UK ) in 2016. I am using my spare cash to put my children through higher education rather than pissing it up a rope on unnecessary things like holidays, new cars etc. So if that makes me "alright Jack" by your standards, then I suppose it must be!

Fair points.
Your observations about pensions and manipulation of non-Sterling currencies just because you have an uncommon expertise in such areas which others don’t have did seem a tad ‘I’m alright Jack’.
I stand corrected on all the others and apologise.
We aren’t so different. I respect the values you espouse, I too put three of my four children through higher education - ironically the one who didn’t go is by far the wealthiest - and I did ensure that my elderly mother lived safely and independently nearby until her death, not in a ‘home’ and I’ve never been to the Seychelles...honest!
I do get where you’re coming from in relation to pollution and consumerism and again apologise for jumping to ill informed conclusions. I was out of order.

Last edited:
Ah, but Basie hasn’t changed his mind MoP.
I may share the irritation of many over his anti Derby snipes but he’s nothing if not consistent where politics is concerned and has always been part of the ‘flock’ which stands apart from the Brexitear ‘herd’.

Food and medicine shortages would seem to be a genuine possibility.
Along with over two years (already) of a much weaker £, political chaos, increased alienation from our allies and neighbours, a shortage of workers in specific areas, industrial and trading uncertainty and the emergence of a more hate filled society it’s been a big success hasn’t it?

Also that such a momentous decision was taken on a slender 52 to 48 majority means a very divided nation and one which if have Brexit or not could lead to civil unrest.

If it had been 51% to 49% we would have still won. and if it had been the other way round nothing would have been said! you lost the vote now get over it and move on!

When Derby beat you 5-0 we got 3points,
When Derby beat you 1-0 we got 3points. It's not about how many you win by that get the 3points as long as you score more than the opposition you win and take the prize!

If it had been 51% to 49% we would have still won. and if it had been the other way round nothing would have been said! you lost the vote now get over it and move on!

When Derby beat you 5-0 we got 3points,
When Derby beat you 1-0 we got 3points. It's not about how many you win by that get the 3points as long as you score more than the opposition you win and take the prize!

Bit of a daft analogy MoP.
We all know that in sport a win is a win and the margin of victory is secondary to that.
Politics and national consensus is very different though and you simplify the percentages anyway.
I know we’ve done this before but...facts are that (approximately) 37% of the electorate voted for Brexit, 34% voted to Remain and 29% didn’t, couldn’t or wouldn’t vote.
Without taking into account the misleading nature of the campaigns, the breaking of electoral law, the ‘protest vote’ aspect, the stupidity of having such an important ‘vote’ in late June etc...if you want to ignore the need for national consensus and reduce this matter down to a simple scoring system then you must surely recognise that (approximately) 63% of the electorate did NOT vote for Brexit.
That’s a very odd ‘win’ you’re claiming.

RA, Tell me the truth, if the result had gone the other way would you be harping on about the percentages. Also do you think those that voted to leave would be behaving in the same manner of the remainers?

if you want to ignore the need for national consensus and reduce this matter down to a simple scoring system then you must surely recognise that (approximately) 63% of the electorate did NOT vote for Brexit.
That’s a very odd ‘win’ you’re claiming.
So how many of the electorate voted to stay?

Last edited:
All been posted before but here it is in votes cast and %s........... all in one, easy to read, table.

View attachment 28107

In Democracy it's always the next vote that counts. That's what democracy is, people change their minds especially when they realise what Brexit will deliver.

__Capxcqi Brexit 004.jpg

Print that on a bus.

Last edited:
RA, Tell me the truth, if the result had gone the other way would you be harping on about the percentages. Also do you think those that voted to leave would be behaving in the same manner of the remainers?

Honestly? Probably not, but that’s not really the question. If the result had been the other way round and things had remained as they were - when we were doing rather well - I would have acknowledged that there was an unhealthy division in the country and recognised the need to address that rather than just say...’we won and nothing else matters’.

You also repeatedly choose to ignore the following points.

1) Remainers are only doing exactly what Farage said he’d do when he anticipated defeat...challenging the validity of the referendum. You hold Remainers to account for all the subsequent ‘difficulties’ but wouldn’t you have applauded Farage in the same circumstances?
2) When else has a democratic country ever decided to take such a monumental decision that almost two thirds of the electorate have not actually voted for?
3) Why do you oppose another vote, or the handing back of the decision to Parliament, once we actually know what the conditions and implications of withdrawal from the EU will be? I ask again...what are you afraid of?

I answered your question honestly, how about you do the same?

Honestly? Probably not, but that’s not really the question. If the result had been the other way round and things had remained as they were - when we were doing rather well - I would have acknowledged that there was an unhealthy division in the country and recognised the need to address that rather than just say...’we won and nothing else matters’.

You also repeatedly choose to ignore the following points.

1) Remainers are only doing exactly what Farage said he’d do when he anticipated defeat...challenging the validity of the referendum. You hold Remainers to account for all the subsequent ‘difficulties’ but wouldn’t you have applauded Farage in the same circumstances?
2) When else has a democratic country ever decided to take such a monumental decision that almost two thirds of the electorate have not actually voted for?
3) Why do you oppose another vote, or the handing back of the decision to Parliament, once we actually know what the conditions and implications of withdrawal from the EU will be? I ask again...what are you afraid of?

I answered your question honestly, how about you do the same?

He can't. He probably takes his opinions from the Media Press Barons.

Your Green political views are at odds from those in the Green Party, Friends of the Earth & Greenpeace all of which would choose to remain in Europe. This country is in much better shape because of EU environmental legislation. It was EU Blue Flag legislation that cleaned up our beaches, and food protection laws protect us at the moment from such such things as US chlorinated chicken and any other trash Trump chooses to impose on us. I would agree with you if we were self- sufficient and had a much smaller population and had a government more concerned with stewardship than making laws which only benefit themselves ie the rich, but we don't. Farage will emigrate to Germany & Rees Mogg is moving all his financial interests overseas. Our Brexit future is bleak which is why the Government is stockpiling food & medical supplies

Im not sure that you understand what I was saying. I was not connecting the in/out decision with green politics, merely pointing out that if we have to suffer austerity due to a post brexit weak pound, then that may not be such a bad thing. I wasn't advocating brexit to cause that austerity, merely noting that if it did happen, then there may be some benefits.

All this 37% tripe is laughable!
Why bother with people who don't bother.

The majority of people who wanted to vote on stay/leave the EU turned up, you might not like it but there are also a lot of folk who don't give a flying feck, why the hell should you give them another vote when they really aren't bothered of what the outcome would be.

Remainers have been clutching at straws now for too long and it's about time they let go.

The only problems Britain will have leaving the EU is with remainers spouting their tripe at every opportunity, why remainers want their Country to have a tough transition and for it all to go wrong is beyond me.

Thats not the point I was making - 37% in favour and 52% majority vote can not in any way be described as "The will of the people" thats just a FACT, something Brexit supporters do seem have a little problem with!

So its all going to be a roaring success? I'd love to know the evidence that you ahve to claim this? It seems most of those leading the leave side haven't got a clue! Indeed this week one of the Brexit standard bearers Rees-Mogg said and I quote "it could be 50 years before the Uk sees the benefits of Brexit" (I was obviously optimistic when I said it will be decade!)

Whilst at the same time being in the process of moving his hedge funds head office to Dublin!

Its not that Remainers have been clutching at straws, its that we can see what a hypocritical lying bunch of tossers those who have pedaled Brexit are and I feel for those who voted for it.

Im not sure that you understand what I was saying. I was not connecting the in/out decision with green politics, merely pointing out that if we have to suffer austerity due to a post brexit weak pound, then that may not be such a bad thing. I wasn't advocating brexit to cause that austerity, merely noting that if it did happen, then there may be some benefits.

Swings and roundabouts Rog, if growth fell and economic decline hit the world, the environment would gain, and the rich will carry on as before.

.... sorry to change subject........... back to the OP but with Evans allegedly incoming and including young Max Bird, we now have a squad of 31. After FL arrived we were told the wages bill needed trimming. Weimann out and 4 more in....... yeah right!

.... sorry to change subject........... back to the OP but with Evans allegedly incoming and including young Max Bird, we now have a squad of 31. After FL arrived we were told the wages bill needed trimming. Weimann out and 4 more in....... yeah right!

Give it time MA. Maybe we’ve learned not to ‘give’ players away to the first bidder at last. We don’t seem to have to buy players from the same ‘agency’ any more either and we may have learned to haggle. Wonder why. Doesn’t appear to have hindered our ability to buy anyway and there’s plenty of time yet.

Talking of which...the usually vociferous MoP is taking his time answering those other three or four questions from post #52. :halo:

Latest Rams News