Defensive thinking | Vital Football

Defensive thinking

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
The Pompey squad is looking in 'pretty good' shape on the face of it really; if anything you could argue that it is perhaps a little 'top heavy' still!

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?544426">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

The Pompey squad is looking in 'pretty good' shape on the face of it really; if anything you could argue that it is perhaps a little 'top heavy' still!

I like the look of the squad, and much like <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Andy Awford</font></b> told the News today, if the season did start tomorrow I would think we could more than hold our own.

Although 'if' the budget did allow perhaps another central defensive recruit would complete this squad for me...

The <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Alex Wynter</font></b> signing this week seemed to conclude our business, certainly as far as defenders went, but AA has 'refused to rule out' another defender arriving so long as they are right for us and 'do not stretch the budget'.

It was central defence that caused us most of our problems last season but I do feel we are in much better shape and, for me, some that 'struggled' last season will do better this time.

Why?

I think this will be down to us better organised, a greater belief and trust is put in players by AA and his coaching staff and most importantly a there is new found confidence ringing around Fratton.

You can get carried up and carried along on the crest of such a wave!

AA will keep his options open, as any manager would, but I do sense it would have to be something special for us to dip into the transfer market again but as he said you can 'never say never'...

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://twitter.com/vitalportsmouth " target="blank"><b>Follow @VitalPortsmouth</b></a>.

PLAY UP POMPEY!

<b><I>Vital Pompey always wants blogs, so if can offer us something we would love to share it with the masses!

To email your own unique article/blog for publishing</b> <a href="mailto:portsmouth@vitalfootball.co.uk"><font color="#0E4FB0"><b>***CLICK HERE***</font></b></a></I>

The entire overall situation at Pompey for the coming season is much,much more settled now, last season at this time the player situation was unstable to say the least, but now it def. looks much more promising.

:110: :110:

Hopefully the midfield we have will protect the back four from coming under too much pressure and the taller keeper (whoever is between the sticks) will be able to command the box and give the defence confidence!! Can't wait PUP PPU!!

Nor can I wait Emsworthian.

Our defence was poor last season but I tend to agree that, all too often, our midfield had been too weak and NOT protected it enough - think this will change this season...