Defensive Record | Vital Football

Defensive Record

GillsBluenose

Vital Football Hero
I have just noticed that only the top three and Plymouth have conceded less goals than us this season. Plymouth have only conceded one less.

Bit of a quirk considering SL was a striker but I suppose AP originally set up the team.

Also a bit of a contrast to last season when we could not keep a clean sheet.

Indeed. Frustrating that our ability to capitalise on that at the other end has fallen away dramatically in recent weeks.

One major reason is that we have the best keeper in L1
But he's not in the L1 team of the season. But Dack is in the L1 team and Akinfenwa is in the L2 team and is short-listed as L2 player of the season.

Last edited:
Those are is indeed good statistics. It gives us a steady base to build upon.

I’d also add though that only the bottom 3 teams plus AFC Wimbledon have scored fewer goals than ourselves. So it would suggest we really do set up very defensively. It probably contributes to lots of fans complaining about how boring we are, and also to the lack of atmosphere.

A good defence is always absolutely key to building a good side though, and as I say, gives us an excellent basis to build upon for next season.

I’d be keen for us to go and sign some real quality up front and in midfield for next year. If we can keep the bulk of our defence, and sign some decent attacking options for next season we could do quite well.

Last edited:
By attacking options, I trust you mean creative midfielders to complement our strikers or even compliment them.

By attacking options, I trust you mean creative midfielders to complement our strikers or even compliment them.

I don’t mind if they praise our strikers to be honest. I just want them to be better than what we have already in attack.

For what it’s worth I think we need to improve both our Attacking midfielders and our Strikers. At least one quality first team striker needed. Parker, Eaves and Wilkinson can argue over the last spot.

Then a quality attacker or two. Would happily get rid of Hess, Martin, Wagstaff if they are out of contract – not sure if they are.

Would want us to re-sign Reilly, and then sign some decent attacking options to make a difference.

Above all else, we need pace - in the middle, on the wings and up front. One of the major reasons why we don't score enough. We haven't got players who can pass the ball quickly and accurately either, so we're easy to defend against.

I just want a team to play for the shirt, to give it their all, and play for pride. In themselves and for the team... :-)

What the fuck have Dack and Bayo got to do with our defensive record?

Holy has earned us many points this season. The Blackburn bloke is behind a much better performing team and has had far fewer saves to make. He and the Zakuani and Max combo are the reasons behind our defensive success.

We've been solid defensively this season, but lacking in midfield and upfront.

This if nothing else is the best thing AP did while at the club.