Defending corners | Vital Football

Defending corners

nibbles

Vital Football Hero
I was surprised that a lot of teams at the WC didn’t put defenders on posts when defending corners leading to a number of goals.

Yesterday we didn’t bother and promptly conceded when a defender on the post would have prevented the goal.

Can anyone explain why some teams don’t leave players on each post? Seems a no brainer to me. Do the prem teams bother?

I agree with you Nibbs on this one, I guess they would argue that it may leave two of the opposition free ??

England had a defender on the line for this goal and it still went in.

Having a player on the line doesn't guarentee it will be cleared as there is plenty of gap between the crossbar and the height a defender can jump. The theory is that intercepting the cross is more likely to prevent a goal than giving the attacker a free header and then trying to block.

I think there’s also a theory that having players on posts guarantees a goal-hanger to be onside to tap in any knock-downs/flick-ons. I’m not sure in reality how much that is an issue; I personally prefer players on the post.

I think there’s also a theory that having players on posts guarantees a goal-hanger to be onside to tap in any knock-downs/flick-ons. I’m not sure in reality how much that is an issue; I personally prefer players on the post.

Think you might be on to something there. It would also prevent to some extent opposition players hustling the goalkeeper.

It seems to go in phases where its fashionable to have players on both posts ,then have just one post occupied, now no-one on posts, just as zone all marking has become fashionable, especially in the top flight.

Not sure if there is any general proof that one system is better but I'd certainly have someone on the front post, probably both if I was a manager.

with stats more and more heavily used I guess for there to be such a shift in tactics, teams who don’t put players on the posts must concede less often from corners. When goals do go in though it will often be more obvious that someone on the post would have stopped it rather than the other way round.