Defence | Page 3 | Vital Football

Defence

I'd just like to point out that I have never seen Carl Lewis and Bozzie in the same location at the same time, so it is perfectly possible that they are the same person, heavily disguised, leading a double life for their own ends. And the images below clearly show that they could almost be twins.
View attachment 34205View attachment 34206

Bozzie has a shaved head of hair now, I think that pretty much confirms it.

I think this is a fair point. Shackell and Eardley are fantastic, but neither is a spring chicken and both lack pace. No-one would argue Bozzie is Carl Lewis, either. I have yet to be convinced by Bolger and although Toffolo is superb going forward, I think we are vulnerable defensively on the left, especially when Andrade plays in front of him.

I am sure this has all been worked on on the training pitches over the summer, though. Oh, wait...
Carl Lewis? Or Alan Wells

I was reporting what Danny said, in case you missed that.
Not my view at all.

But actually re-assuring that Danny is becoming a fully fledged Imp now and suffering from the same pessimism that afflicts us all.

With current players I'd hope for somewhere between 18th to 13th. That would be a decent first season back in League One (was it even called that when we were last in it?).
A bit more strengthening we might break into top half.
To challenge for play offs and better will take a lot of rebuilding I reckon.
As others have said, it may be lack of pace amongst our best players that may hinder further progress. Eardley, Bostwick, Shackell, Freck, O'Connor, Akinde...all have great experience and ability but all are at the latter part of their careers.

Hope Bolger can have a better time of things, that will be needed. Toffolo staying also key.
After that, a top striker seems beyond our budget apparently so hope Danny can find another gem or two maybe.

I was reporting what Danny said, in case you missed that.
Not my view at all.

But actually re-assuring that Danny is becoming a fully fledged Imp now and suffering from the same pessimism that afflicts us all.

He didn't actually say we were facing relegation though.

League one strikers are technically better and wingers faster. Our defence does need strengthening and not just in terms of numbers. That is why an interest in Pearce has some legs. He is more mobile than our current back four/five. I suspect the fee will prevent it and we get a Wharton like loan. Shame he is already at another club on loan because he is more mobile too.

To be honest, thats not the general view of most L1 teams.

The difference between the majority of L1 and the majority of L2 is very small- better management, better tactics, better individuals (occasionally)-Luton went straight to Championship with virtually the same team which finished 2nd to Accrington in L2 the season before.

Undoubtedly some clubs have better players (in all sorts of roles) than us and some clubs have worse players.

I don't doubt we are a No10 short and possibly a CB but we are, in my view, still a mid-table L1 side already