Defence | Page 2 | Vital Football

Defence

I worry about people who. after three years of unremitting positivity and success, still find it necessary to witter and worry about team-related matters when we're still more than a week away from the start of an exciting new season.

I do worry. But that's because I'm so caring.

It's all very well being positive, but what if things go wrong?

I worry about people who. after three years of unremitting positivity and success, still find it necessary to witter and worry about team-related matters when we're still more than a week away from the start of an exciting new season.

It was W. S. Gilbert (no relation to David) who wrote:

"Don't the days the seem lank and long when all goes right and nothing goes wrong, and isn't your life extremely flat with nothing whatever to grumble at?"

The management team is not infallible - a week away from the season start and we still need some spine reinforcements, with an ambition to be in the top 10 at least next season, is a reason in our view to witter and worry - so there!

I would modify that to say true criticism is positive, not so sure about cynicism....
Cynicism - I don't know this bloke so don't trust him yet but I'll make sure he does a good job.
Pessimism - This bloke is bound to be rubbish, it will definitely end in tears.

Worth saying that Danny himself is far from optimistic at the moment and also says we need a defender and definitely a striker.

And he now sees only loanees as the possible solutions, and that's going to be difficult too. Facing relegation as it stands.

Last edited:
There are some extreme optimistic and pessimistic people occasional on these threads. But to be fair I would sum up most people on here as giving their honest opinions with the best interests of the Club in their hearts at all times.
I would have to class the comment about facing relegation as being about as pessimistic as you can get.
Obviously picked up from Danny's remarks yesterday , but that was aimed more as a kick up the arse for the players. It is not going to happen while these lads are in charge.

I thought I was the King of Pessimism until I've read some of the posts on here. I'm told my glass isn't even half full normally. How bad would some of you be if we were Bury, or Bolton?
We did enough last season to see us through and will this. And that's coming from the KoP.

League one strikers are technically better and wingers faster. Our defence does need strengthening and not just in terms of numbers. That is why an interest in Pearce has some legs. He is more mobile than our current back four/five. I suspect the fee will prevent it and we get a Wharton like loan. Shame he is already at another club on loan because he is more mobile too.

League one strikers are technically better and wingers faster. Our defence does need strengthening and not just in terms of numbers. That is why an interest in Pearce has some legs. He is more mobile than our current back four/five. I suspect the fee will prevent it and we get a Wharton like loan. Shame he is already at another club on loan because he is more mobile too.

I think this is a fair point. Shackell and Eardley are fantastic, but neither is a spring chicken and both lack pace. No-one would argue Bozzie is Carl Lewis, either. I have yet to be convinced by Bolger and although Toffolo is superb going forward, I think we are vulnerable defensively on the left, especially when Andrade plays in front of him.

I am sure this has all been worked on on the training pitches over the summer, though. Oh, wait...