Defeat to the Geordies | Vital Football

Defeat to the Geordies

Kentbee

Vital Reserves Team
Thought we played really well but they have premiership players and maybe it showed in the end. Can't fault the team for effort and application and we played an expansive game and had better possession and shots on goal but in the end all to no avail. Very disappointed at the final whistle as we throwing everything at them.

There were good shouts for several penalties but all down the other end so I couldn't really see from the ER. You would hardly call the refs these days at GP homers?

Like the way Josh Mc is finally coming to form and Woods was excellent. Both their goals were started with us losing possession in dangerous places, you give teams like Newcastle the smallest of opportunities and they will take it.

We gave them a proper game, deserved a draw and could have won it. All without our £15m top scorer. Seeing as three players got injured and had to be replaced I'm quite glad Hogan didn't get a game!

Although the result was disappointing it's not as bad when you've played really well - you just have to shrug your shoulders and get on with it. If we play anything like that on Saturday we'll bring the three points home.

As for Chelsea, it's a freebie, no one is expecting us to win. If we play like we did yesterday I'll be happy, whatever the score - mind you a sneaky draw would be good fun!

Lasse played well, maybe with Hogan it would have been different, but we’re going to have to get used to that.
Only one reason we didn’t get a point though, bloody awful defending.

I actually thought when Gayle went off, that our defenders might handle Murphy better, but over comes the cross, three centre-backs and they all stand and watch while Murphy has a free header virtually on the six-yard box.

...oh, and don't even start me on their first goal.

It gives me no pleasure to say this, but can anybody spot the link?

Really disappointed & despite our valiant efforts we conspired to lose this. Many positives but 2 gifts from slack passes from Egan & Josh, a hatful of missed chances mainly by Lasse, incompetent refereeing, & the farce of Hogan sitting on the bench never to be used. Yes it had it all, plus the obligatory slow start & odd decisions from the gaffer. 2 years ago we'd have buried these, not anymore - there's not enough belief in the side or positivity from DS. That's just one home win since September - sure it's a really tough division but we're turning into plucky losers. There's more talent in the squad for that to be our place in the world.

It's fine lines at this level, as you say we are plucky losers more than out of our depth. Really hope we can strengthen in this window and get Jota back to playing full games, he is a match winner.

I like Nico and what he brings to the team but really felt on Saturday that he was struggling to be 100% , he is supposedly carrying a chronic injury and maybe it is showing now after so many games. Looks like that position is a priority for a signing so hopefully we can fill it.

DS may have to be a bit bolder with his team selection instead of using the same players. Egan looks a bit heavy legged to me and was partially at fault for their first goal. After playing almost every game maybe he needs a rest, Barbet is surely worth some game time for a while at least.

Rebel, I think we would probably have lost that two years ago too. They have that real professional look that Boro had the last two seasons and let's not forget we played a blinder against Norwich at GP and lost 3-0! Our defence wasn't great that season either.

I'm not saying there isn't plenty to put right but I'd rather we played like we did on Saturday than some of those lethargic attempts earlier in the season.

There's still a lot to like about this squad and consistently good performances will see a healthier points total with the odd blip against the quality sides or when the ref decides to be useless!

You may be right beefeater mate, we'll never know but I don't feel the positive vibes others do after Sat. Too many recurring problems costing big points at GP, we just don't win at home anymore (bar a woeful Burton). Slow starts, 5 at the back, poor subs, sloppy goals - then we rally & our own finishing inadequacies plus pony refs & no points - gutted! . I feel we might get well beaten at Wigan - then who's gonna remember a decent 60 mins vs the geordies? Time will tell I guess....

I agree not everything is hunky dory. We've got a lot of players who on their day are fabulous but pretty much all of them have a mistake in them. Dean has cut these to a minimum this season but he's also one of the most experienced players we have. We have a lot of youngsters out there still finding their feet. Those 'professional' teams we talk about have a lot more experience in their sides.

I know it's a cliche but we need more consistency, both from the individual players and the team's performances. We can buy experience [more money, more wages, less sell on value] or buy potential and give them the experience ourselves [time and patience required and inconsistent performances along the way]. Mind you, when that comes together it will be glorious!

First twenty minutes or so they were a far better side than us, quick interchanging of positions, onto our back passes very quickly, and creating chances. Felt for young Tom Field who was way out of his depth in that time and being torn apart by the guy with the dyed blonde hair. But to be fair to Field, it didn't phase him and he went on to settle in and have a good game. Felt Vibe missed far too many chances again, he's just not strong enough, and his shots were weak too. Took his goal well but if he's to be our striker he really needs to up his game. I like Sawyers but felt he was off Saturday. Didn't really produce.
That said, we were the better side after the first injury, Gayle really was playing well and they missed him once he'd gone. Deserved a draw, had our "striker" not been so wasteful it could even have been a win. Don't think the ball crossed the line judging by our players reactions or lack of to it, and the penalty shout second half looked good until I saw Vibe get up and laugh at the defender who he'd clashed with as if to say "worth a try" and he didn't exactly complain too much.

Yesterday was a sh*te day all round! Well beaten at Wigan & mugged off over the Hogan situation. We are regressing on the pitch & making a mess of another transfer window. I'm afraid the obvious on pitch issues never get addressed & bar the odd half decent performance it's slim pickings.

I'm worried again, we just don't seem to learn.

At least we have a free hit next week, nothing to lose.

We were awful yesterday, bereft of tempo,flair or passion. Not sure if the Hogan situation unsettled things but it was as if the team had never played together before. DS was slow to make changes which did not help.

We are without in a relegation fight at the moment, we are only fortunate that there are a couple of sides plummeting faster than us.

We are consistent in being inconsistent. Very frustrating.

Hogan and/or Agent and/or West Ham can f*** right off! Our team is being picked by one or more of these at the moment.