Dear Marge | Vital Football

Dear Marge

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
I desperately need your help and advice. I have a 6 year old grandson who is actually showing a lot of promise as a footballer. He is a 100% Man U fan despite living 120 miles away from Manchester and never having been there or seen them live. He thinks Marcus Rashford is God (nothing to do with Marcus's recent campaign). My son in law is a Villa fan (poor s#d). "They're rubbish" says the grandson. (Actually difficult to argue that point at the moment). As far as Gillingham is concerned, "they're rubbish too".

How can I wean my beloved grandson from this addiction to Man U?

Ahhhhh yes ..... the age old glory hunter problem my friend .....

my good pal Alan had a novel approach when his son suggested the same ..... he told his son to go and pack his bags .... he was only five at the time ....

poor little buggar now supports West Ham..

Hitting

I desperately need your help and advice. I have a 6 year old grandson who is actually showing a lot of promise as a footballer. He is a 100% Man U fan despite living 120 miles away from Manchester and never having been there or seen them live. He thinks Marcus Rashford is God (nothing to do with Marcus's recent campaign). My son in law is a Villa fan (poor s#d). "They're rubbish" says the grandson. (Actually difficult to argue that point at the moment). As far as Gillingham is concerned, "they're rubbish too".

Take him to games of a local team, preferably one doing well. There's nothing quite like seeing a team live and cheering them on live. (Covid permitting obviously)

It does not matter where you get your love of football from and kids need top footballing heroes to imitate. Would you want him to not like football?

Just needs taking regularly to the local team to get the bug of live football.

I cured my son in 5 minutes. You or, preferably, his dad (more likely to work) play him at football. He can be Manure, you the Gills or his dad Villa. Promptly thrash him mercilessly. I went a swift 6 0 up (my son was about the same age - a couple of years later I'd have lost).

Instant cure. Been solid Gills ever since.

Live games are key as others have said but our fans also get the chance to look around the club, meet players, get autographs, watch training in a manner unimaginable at premiership clubs. Get him to the next open day.

I cured my son in 5 minutes. You or, preferably, his dad (more likely to work) play him at football. He can be Manure, you the Gills or his dad Villa. Promptly thrash him mercilessly. I went a swift 6 0 up (my son was about the same age - a couple of years later I'd have lost).

Instant cure. Been solid Gills ever since.
Are you the dad on The Fast Show always entreeting your kids and wife to keep up?

It's an ultra competitive dad who never let's his kids win anything. Certainly that's me - never pulled out of tackles against mine in garden football and they were both girls.
No, once he decided to be the Gills I'd let him win every time.

My missus who complains about competitive men is, ironically, competitive herself. I remember her beating my 7 year old daughter 6 times in a row at Ludo. I was saying let her win one game but the missus said, "no, she must learn to win". Harsh. By way of compensation, my daughter regularly beat me even though I was actually trying!

When my son was little I said to him that he could choose any team he liked - but if he chose Man U I would never buy him any thing connected with them ( I loathe Man U).

He saw sense and chose another premier league club as well as the Gills and there was never a problem and he got loads of replica kits and merchandise.

Perhaps you and your son in law can issue the same coercion. Even Villa is better than the Red Shite!