Dead Pool 2021 | Page 4 | Vital Football

Dead Pool 2021

Ex defender and manager of West Ham, Newcastle, Watford and Norwich, Glenn Roeder has died. Classy defender and aged just 65 from a brain tumor.
RIP

Amazing what you don't know about people....

Born Graeme Murray Walker on 10 October 1923, after leaving Highgate School he fought in World War II as a tank commander, a role that saw him take part in the brutal Battle of the Reichswald in 1945.
He initially developed a love for motorsport through his father Graham, who was a world-class motorcycle racer, whose success included winning the Isle of Man TT.
Walker briefly raced motorbikes himself before recognising that his talents lay elsewhere, and instead followed his father into commentary, too, initially alongside him at the TT.
He commentated on his first car grand prix race for the BBC at Silverstone in 1949 and continued to work on all forms of motorsport for the BBC and ITV over the next three decades while pursuing a full-time and successful career in advertising.
His company invented the famous slogan, "A Mars a day helps you work rest and play," although Walker insisted he has been wrongly credited with it himself. But he did admit to coming up with the equally famous jingle: "Opal Fruits - made to make your mouth water" among others.

I knew he he'd been a tank commander but didn't know the rest.
Perhaps he should have worked on the slogan 'Murray mints, Murray mints too good to hurry mints'
RIP Murray

Last edited:
Peter Lorimer, Leeds midfielder, has died aged 74 after a long illness. Saw him play quite a bit during the 1970s when I was at Leeds uni. Class player. RIP

Frank Worthington aged 72. Best known for his Leicester City days but quite the journey man.
RIP.

Doreen Lofthouse has passed away at the age of 91. Very loyal and supportive to the town of Fleetwood. Not many like her these days. Usually have a packet of Fisherman's Friend in my medicine cupboard.
RIP Doreen

Last edited:
Big Phil has given me the second of 2 hits on my deadpool list in the last 10 days. The other was Doreen Lofthouse