DC Comment Last Night | Page 2 | Vital Football

DC Comment Last Night

I remember being at the back of the Stacey West on May 3rd 2003 at about 4.30 and along with Lancs and Stace started the chant 'Yeo is a goal Machine' as the man himself warmed up. the abuse that we took from our fellow Imps was fierce, 'Couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo', 'he couldn't score in a brothel' etc... 23 games without a goal, the rest they say is history.

Give Pett a Cowley pre season and judge him after 31% of next season. :-)

Yeo never got any stick from me. ;)

Sure, Pett may turn out to be a good signing. We'll see.

Feel Wilson is an excellent signing and just unlucky with the injury. Williams I think has shown some good elements of his game (strength and some good close control and positions he gets into). Pett so far has shown nothing and for me has looked completely at sea in the few games he played. Didn't seem to fit the Cowley method and tactics at all. Maybe thats why we haven't seen him - he's perhaps being 'remoulded'. As for Freck, I think he has got stronger and fitter as he gets more games with the team and fits a 433 better. I do wonder if he's taken time because of a combination of a) getting over injury, b) his wife's illness, and c) maybe an element of coming from a level where he has more time on the ball to show his quality? Perhaps would do better if we got promoted and had a full pre-season?
i was expecting the signings, wilson and freck especially considering their background and age, would be stand out players [like bostwick] i.e. one of the first names on the team sheet, and head and shoulders better than what we already had.
mitigation on frecklington's impact: is it also possible he relies on, and is used to, more and better quality passes coming into him from defence, and from midfielders around him. and better movement from forwards - a player on the ball needs players around him on the same 'wavelength'.
with his type of game, his role is diminished if he is only receiving the occasional decent pass, and mainly scrapping for balls at upwards of shoulder height. plus, if he is making runs into the box, someone else needs to first see that run, and second be able to put the ball into him.

as an example, i remember how well he combined with forrester.

Last edited:
I think some of the Jan signings (esp Pett) might be part of the stalled move to a more ground based game (after it was put on hold). That project will probably return in August.

I think some of the Jan signings (esp Pett) might be part of the stalled move to a more ground based game (after it was put on hold). That project will probably return in August.

That's an interesting thought. Summer business will be fascinating.

Pett = Knott Mk. II, as I said at the time.

Didn't rate him at all in the appearances he has made for us so far. He would have to improve by at least 31% to be any use to us. :D

Can you be a little more precise on how much he needs to improve?

That's an interesting thought. Summer business will be fascinating.

You might be right. L1 would be a completely different challenge and I suspect that the Cowleys have that in their planning if not this season, certainly the one after.