DC Comment Last Night | Vital Football

DC Comment Last Night

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
I only managed to listen to a little of DC's interview last night, but there was a bit in it, which I was in agreement with (I usually do, tbh but it certainly mirrors my thoughts).

Along the lines of, "...hard work only gets you so far in League 2, you need a bit of something else in these games".

Hard to disagree with that. 14 draws this season (only second to Mansfield, I think). All ifs and buts, I know, but just a little bit of magic in those close games would've changed thingsabit. Last night, Morecambe at home, Crawley at home, Cambridge home and away. Those small moments in a season that leave you 6 or 8 points better off over the course of the 46 games, which is the difference between PO's and no PO's, autos and PO's, Champions or 2nd.

Grant at Notts has probably got them through games at some point, Kee at Accy, Lee/Berry at Luton etc. Probably others.

That's not a criticism of this season at all, just perhaps a pointer of what he's looking for in the summer. A little bit of something - a match winner(s).

Agree too but also think a full Lincoln City pre-season will see Freck add some quality. I was encouraged at how much of the ball he saw in the areas of the pitch he should be able to hurt teams last night.

Agree too but also think a full Lincoln City pre-season will see Freck add some quality. I was encouraged at how much of the ball he saw in the areas of the pitch he should be able to hurt teams last night.
Seemed to have an extra yard of pace as well last night.

it does appear that freck wasn't anywhere near ready for our high intensity when he was signed. cowley also said last night that the team needed to be 'braver with possession' against the wind, and 'better in our technical execution of the final outcome'[!] but he also said 'the will is more important that the skill' - maybe we need to do a little more on the skill to make a difference in these last few games. it also made me wonder if he has got what he expected from wilson; williams; pett [they have not made much impression on the first eleven since signing in january] i assumed they were signing to better what we already had - certainly in terms of technical ability and being braver on the ball.

it does appear that freck wasn't anywhere near ready for our high intensity when he was signed. cowley also said last night that the team needed to be 'braver with possession' against the wind, and 'better in our technical execution of the final outcome'[!] but he also said 'the will is more important that the skill' - maybe we need to do a little more on the skill to make a difference in these last few games. it also made me wonder if he has got what he expected from wilson; williams; pett [they have not made much impression on the first eleven since signing in january] i assumed they were signing to better what we already had - certainly in terms of technical ability and being braver on the ball.

I thought Wilson was a bit unfortunate to get injured when he did. From what I have seen I thought he looked class, as for Pett I think he is for the future, with a little bit of method trained into him.

it also made me wonder if he has got what he expected from wilson; williams; pett

Well Pett has basically disappeared after a series of below-par performances where his biggest deficiency appeared to be leaving his fullback exposed - a huge part of Lincoln's game.

Wilson has been injured but showed class at Barnet and Cambridge before he got crocked. Just a victim of circumstance.

Williams impressed me on a couple of starts when we switched to 4-3-3 but appears lacking in front of goal at this level.

I can see Wilson giving us more next season. Williams should he sign would be a squad player I think. Pett came from Stevenage with approving references from their fans (rider: they are a bottom-third team) so it's up to DC and NC to get what they see in him out onto the pitch.

I know a couple of Stevenage fans who did not give Pett good references. He's not had much opportunity but when he has played they've been about right.

Pett so far on limited appearances only looks a slightly better version of JMD, too lightweight easily pushed off the ball, hope to be proved wrong !

Pett so far on limited appearances only looks a slightly better version of JMD, too lightweight easily pushed off the ball, hope to be proved wrong !

I suspect his appearances may stay limited, too - he'd be a big risk at the moment.

I suspect Pett may be making a quick exit in the summer. At the risk of upsetting some of you, Frecklington still looks to be struggling and I don't see what he brings to the team. I would not be picking him ahead of Whitehouse.

When Frecklington signed, I couldn't believe how unfit he looked, especially coming from a League One club. Either that, or he was carrying an injury. Seemed to be getting through games on adrenalin. Looked much better against Wycombe, which makes me a lot happier. He does promise quality, while Whitehouse offers energy. Give him a Cowley pre-season, and we'll see how he looks then.

Feel Wilson is an excellent signing and just unlucky with the injury. Williams I think has shown some good elements of his game (strength and some good close control and positions he gets into). Pett so far has shown nothing and for me has looked completely at sea in the few games he played. Didn't seem to fit the Cowley method and tactics at all. Maybe thats why we haven't seen him - he's perhaps being 'remoulded'. As for Freck, I think he has got stronger and fitter as he gets more games with the team and fits a 433 better. I do wonder if he's taken time because of a combination of a) getting over injury, b) his wife's illness, and c) maybe an element of coming from a level where he has more time on the ball to show his quality? Perhaps would do better if we got promoted and had a full pre-season?

DC recently spoke about having signed more players in the Jan. window than ideally he would have liked to; also the difficulties and time it takes to assimilate the players to 'method' and fitness levels. All players will adapt at different rates and to varying degrees of success depending on ability, attitude and suitability of the team playing style. For those reasons I will not judge any of the January signings until they have had the benefit of a full pre season and a couple of months into the next season.

Pett = Knott Mk. II, as I said at the time.

Didn't rate him at all in the appearances he has made for us so far. He would have to improve by at least 31% to be any use to us. :D

Pett = Knott Mk. II, as I said at the time.

Didn't rate him at all in the appearances he has made for us so far. He would have to improve by at least 31% to be any use to us. :D

I remember being at the back of the Stacey West on May 3rd 2003 at about 4.30 and along with Lancs and Stace started the chant 'Yeo is a goal Machine' as the man himself warmed up. the abuse that we took from our fellow Imps was fierce, 'Couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo', 'he couldn't score in a brothel' etc... 23 games without a goal, the rest they say is history.

Give Pett a Cowley pre season and judge him after 31% of next season. :-)