Davinson Sanchez - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Davinson Sanchez - Player Thread

The lad just isn't improving. Into his 4th season with us now. How much longer do you persist with a player that isn't improving?

Sanchez is being coached by one of the greats; it's not working on him yet but its early days. If his performances continue to dip, JR can step in.

The lad needs to step up. He's not nearly as bad as some make out, in fact he's quite the opposite. His judgement at times isn't the greatest but he has all the attributes to be one of the best CBs in the league. It's frustrating i know but there's a top player in there, i know he can prove his doubters wrong.

I think his 1st pass in the opening seconds went straight to spam. He doesn't appear to be able to jump/win the ball in a crowded penalty area. His tackling is erratic at best. Yes he has pace, but IMO he should be told unless there is no option, you do not tackle in and around the area. Serge and Sissoko should be told the same. We just have to stop crosses coming in from wide fouls and free kicks near the area. 1at goal spam....Sissoko push/foul. Neither him or Sanchez dez!t with the cross. Third goal Serge foul, yes not mch of one, but a foul all the same. It's crazy that this doesn't get better....

I think his 1st pass in the opening seconds went straight to spam. He doesn't appear to be able to jump/win the ball in a crowded penalty area. His tackling is erratic at best. Yes he has pace, but IMO he should be told unless there is no option, you do not tackle in and around the area. Serge and Sissoko should be told the same. We just have to stop crosses coming in from wide fouls and free kicks near the area. 1at goal spam....Sissoko push/foul. Neither him or Sanchez dez!t with the cross. Third goal Serge foul, yes not mch of one, but a foul all the same. It's crazy that this doesn't get better....
No Serge foul at all. Describe Serge's foul for us.

Yep...the foul was a 'nothing thing', but because Serge has a lot of 'nothing things' intertwined with 'things'....They stick in the refs head and he/we get penalised

There was quite a lot went on after the free kick. A poor clearance from Sanchez, a bad decision or heavy touch from Winks and a shot we wont see many the like of again.
On Sanchez , I'm not sure he has the intelligence required. I will watch his press conference if I can to try and suss out how he comes across.

The lad needs to step up. He's not nearly as bad as some make out, in fact he's quite the opposite. His judgement at times isn't the greatest but he has all the attributes to be one of the best CBs in the league. It's frustrating i know but there's a top player in there, i know he can prove his doubters wrong.

Hi SP. I agree with your first sentence, and I want to believe there's a good player in Sanchez, but we're just not seeing it.

If he really thinks he's improving, he is delusional, or not setting his personal bar high enough.

Ledley King has plenty of work to do to turn this unreliable player around. Mistakes cannot be part of your game at his end of the field, or any for that matter.

We have a few key players who are just not evolving into top 4 Club players, despite their access to top coaching.

I have watched Ssnchez speak before and wasnt impressed. I know there is the language issue but he comes across shy and withdrawn, not very enthusiastic or bubbly. Not much sense of humour I dont think he is the sharpest knife in the block. He may not have the capacity to improve much. His press conference today again confirmed what I already thought.

I have watched Ssnchez speak before and wasnt impressed. I know there is the language issue but he comes across shy and withdrawn, not very enthusiastic or bubbly. Not much sense of humour I dont think he is the sharpest knife in the block. He may not have the capacity to improve much. His press conference today again confirmed what I already thought.

That may explain why The King's influence is not rubbing off on Sanchez.

Some of these "type" of players (shy, withdrawn, lacking confidence, intelligence etc) can indeed make it in sport, with a God given talent and not much else.

Sanchez is not one of these players. He needs to push himself harder than most just to be almost good enough, but sadly he doesn't apply himself. I'd give him until the next window and if no improvement then sell him and move on.

It's such a critical part of our defense and we can ill afford anyone not operating at 100%. Eriksen was another who was constantly picked in first 11 whilst operating at 65%. Among other attitudinal issues. these players make it impossible for the entire team to stand any chance of finishing top 4.

There was quite a lot went on after the free kick. A poor clearance from Sanchez, a bad decision or heavy touch from Winks and a shot we wont see many the like of again.
On Sanchez , I'm not sure he has the intelligence required. I will watch his press conference if I can to try and suss out how he comes across.
It was Kane that made that clearance from the free kick not Sanchez.

I haven't given up hope on him yet. The raw ingredients are there. Ledley's working with him now although it will take time.

Villa have tightened up defensively immensely this season and by all accounts this is being attributed to John Terry. But it's taken him a long time to gets his ideas across.

I do hope in the near future though that Jose chooses a first choice CB pairing and sticks with it (rotation for tiredness notwithstanding). This constant changing of the CBs and back line in general isn't helping.

No Serge foul at all. Describe Serge's foul for us.

To be fair, there were 6 free-kicks in dangerous areas conceded in the game. 3 were from Aurier, 2 from Davinson and 1 from Sissoko. It is sort of irrelevant which one of them was the unlucky guy and had a goal conceded from their impetuousness. The usual suspects all showed up.

Compare that to Hojberg and Toby who were bombarded all day. Hojberg 2 free-kicks conceded close to the half way line and Toby didn't concede one. They used their brains.

Aurier especially needs to curb it, just like Walker did a few years ago. He needs to start using his brain.

Davinson is, this season, our most dominant CB with aerial duels won per game. He is only bettered by Doherty in our entire squad.

He is second in our entire squad for successful clearances per game, behind Dier.

Tackles per game he is 4th behind Serge, Toby and Sissoko.

He is currently showing better form on all his stats from last season and is showing he is our most consistent CB so far. His reactions to his mistakes on Sunday show he is being more critical of himself too which shows desire to be better.

I have said, I'm giving him a pass for Sunday because I don't think he should have ever been played as a LCB. I have also seen more from him to be positive about than I have from Toby or Dier, who I think have both been at fault in games just as much as Sanchez. Dier has been rash and Toby has been a yard off the pace and has actually put his CB partner under more pressure at times by losing concentration.

I think ALL our CB's need to improve and it is definitely our weakest area of the pitch, but I still don't see protection from CM midfield and our tactics continuously invite pressure when the CM should be taking control.

I think that is basically it. I too get the exact same impression of him. 'shy and withdrawn' are the last characteristics you need in your defence!. If his name was Sessesgnon, he'd have been loaned out.

Can i also add, I think peeps are getting carried away with Ledder's appointment to the coaching role. From a long term club ambassador to a coach whilst the game has moved on?....May as well get Mabbutt back in for training our midfield!

Sanchez was recruited as one for the future, one to build the future backline around and money was supposed to justify that decision. Here we are 4 years down the road where he's worked alongside 2 very experienced int'l defenders (Toby + Jan) and has had the benefit of a much hailed defensive coach (in Poch) and now the bus parker can't get him to drive the bus!

No wonder our defence hasn't improved much over the past 4 years, waiting for likes of Sanchez to come good. The back 4 are overdue for a refreshing......NOT tinkering!

I wrote him off almost 18 months ago. A big guy = a gentle giant!