Davinson Sanchez - Player Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Davinson Sanchez - Player Thread

It was Kane that made that clearance from the free kick not Sanchez.

You are right it was Kane. Out of interest watch Sanchez as the shot goes past his head. He nods towards it and came very close which was brave at that pace. But did he get to it and deflect it ? It seems to kind of slightly kink right after it went past him. A bit like a fine snick off a cricket bat.

To be fair, there were 6 free-kicks in dangerous areas conceded in the game. 3 were from Aurier, 2 from Davinson and 1 from Sissoko. It is sort of irrelevant which one of them was the unlucky guy and had a goal conceded from their impetuousness. The usual suspects all showed up.

Compare that to Hojberg and Toby who were bombarded all day. Hojberg 2 free-kicks conceded close to the half way line and Toby didn't concede one. They used their brains.

Aurier especially needs to curb it, just like Walker did a few years ago. He needs to start using his brain.
I like the thought of Aurier using his brain....where do you think it is during games....I think he leaves it in a jar by the door of the dressing room.

You are right it was Kane. Out of interest watch Sanchez as the shot goes past his head. He nods towards it and came very close which was brave at that pace. But did he get to it and deflect it ? It seems to kind of slightly kink right after it went past him. A bit like a fine snick off a cricket bat.
Actually I am still not sure if he got something on it or not....it either swerved a bit more cos he did, or the swerve on it meant he just missed it. I watched it a few times and still not sure

I like the thought of Aurier using his brain....where do you think it is during games....I think he leaves it in a jar by the door of the dressing room.

It's probably not as big adjustment as we think it is. He has to be motivated to do it though and I thought Doherty turning up might help that process. Clearly not on Sunday.

In fairness he was fine tonight...bit lucky once or twice but did his job ok

Yeah, good answer from Sanchez tonight. Davies was also incredibly lucky a couple of times. In the first 2 mins he took a bad position and because of his height they nearly scored. Then ironically in the build up to our last goal he got away with one. He was all over the place.

The back four got a clean sheet and not one of them conceded a free-kick, let alone a dangerous one. That will please Jose.

Yeah, good answer from Sanchez tonight. Davies was also incredibly lucky a couple of times. In the first 2 mins he took a bad position and because of his height they nearly scored. Then ironically in the build up to our last goal he got away with one. He was all over the place.

The back four got a clean sheet and not one of them conceded a free-kick, let alone a dangerous one. That will please Jose.

Reguilon conceded one in the first half didn't he?

Reguilon conceded one in the first half didn't he?

Actually, just had another look on WhoScored. My bad, there were 4 dangerous free-kicks Winks 2, Lamela 1 and Reguilon 1. I obviously read it wrong. No free kicks conceded from the other 3 defenders though.

Davinson is, this season, our most dominant CB with aerial duels won per game. He is only bettered by Doherty in our entire squad.

He is second in our entire squad for successful clearances per game, behind Dier.

Tackles per game he is 4th behind Serge, Toby and Sissoko.

He is currently showing better form on all his stats from last season and is showing he is our most consistent CB so far. His reactions to his mistakes on Sunday show he is being more critical of himself too which shows desire to be better.

I have said, I'm giving him a pass for Sunday because I don't think he should have ever been played as a LCB. I have also seen more from him to be positive about than I have from Toby or Dier, who I think have both been at fault in games just as much as Sanchez. Dier has been rash and Toby has been a yard off the pace and has actually put his CB partner under more pressure at times by losing concentration.

I think ALL our CB's need to improve and it is definitely our weakest area of the pitch, but I still don't see protection from CM midfield and our tactics continuously invite pressure when the CM should be taking control.

Sissoko has started to hug the right again, leaving Hoji exposed.

2 and a half years later you would think people would have noticed but he keeps getting away with it.

Ndombele is still pretty lazy defensively as well, so I can't see anything changing.

I though Davidson looked solid tonight. He looks more confident on the right side and bar one misjudging of a bounce I read the game well. Defending set pieces as a team we are definitely shakey though.
His aerial ability or lack thereof is a weakness which must be ironed out.