David Won't Go For Buttons | Vital Football

David Won't Go For Buttons

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
It's being reported that Brentford have slapped a £2million price tag on goalkeeper David Button in an attempt to thwart interest in the player by Fulham.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?452675">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Don't mind him moving onto better himself, other than the money he won't achieve this at FFC slugging it out with Bettinelli. Bit of a kick in the nuts but we've played a blinder & Bentley will do me just fine.

It's a reminder to old skoolers like me that whilst we idolise these players it's all those that have put bfc in the big time that deserve the adulation. Support the players - love the club!

He's gone, £2m. That's a lot of money to have competition for the keeper's jersey. I smell a rat and wonder if Bettinelli's on his way.

Is it confirmed then? £2M is decent for both parties considering the length of contract and what FFC are getting. If they get DB at his brilliant best then they will have improved the GK position. He is a real confidence player and prone to the yips now and again - i'd have worried about this given the attention he'd receive in the PL, but in this division he's proven and very decent.

Other than our games with Fulham I say good luck to him and thanks for all that you achieved in your time at GP. When he plays against us he's in our way and will be treated accordingly.

Is it official yet with Button, anyone know what the deal was?

Also a bit of a curve ball with Vibe being away for the 1st 4 games, that's not helping at all.

I do feel we need to get a couple more signings done soon as poss, the squad currently looks stronger but lighter, and lacks a little width and pace. Maybe condor can do the squad update for us, that's 3 out plus a couple released, and 3 in.

Feel like i'm answering my own posts here, but anyway David has now gone off to Button moon and will ply his trade up the road at the oh so "massive former premier league European finalists". Looking around social media last night, god these new lot really have no comprehension of the world pre Al Fayed. Fortunately there are old school Fulham chaps I know that get it and kinda see us and them in a more even light.

So it's a thank you to Button from me, you've been great and left a solid legacy, but you are now with them and in our way - and we've played a blinder in handling his reluctance to sign a new deal.

these latest transfers show us all how it has to be from now on, we support and admire our players during their time with us, but we need to channel our love and more into the institution that is BFC and the people that have brought us back to life. Buy your ST's, bring your mates, get as much bees merch and spend all you can, let's make GP noisy and hostile again. Do that and we'll have bigger things than a local squabble to think about .

Dear All

I am not sure that selling to local rivals is a particularly good idea.

If the boy Bentley and whoever the new left-back is turn out to be good signings, the policy works no question. In the case of the opposite happening it will be used against the DOFs for sure. It's a gamble.

Quite why a confidence keeper has made the "easy decision" (his words) to join a poor side with a crap defence can only come down to money, and the fact that he is not even guaranteed to be first-choice makes it even weirder. With every year that goes by the modern footballer looks no further than a three year pay packet, even if his career prospects are potentially harmed by it.

Regards

Gordon

Hello Gordon,interesting, your last paragraph is telling - on the face of it a weird move for DB. I'm guessing that both DB and JB were left with little option other than to go with what seemed to be the only offers in town. Sure they've increased their earnings but at best have gone sideways. I'm thinking it was very tactical on our part, weighing up selling to neighbours against the £3M received for soon to be out of contract players. You also picked up on Button's easy decision comment, i didn't like that and hope we remind him of this when he's picking the ball out of the net against us..

High risk as you say, if they both do really well and we struggle it'll blow back o the DOF's. On balance i'm OK with it, just.

Agree with above comments it seems a sideways move but maybe doubling or trebling his wages was the key. I don't really blame him, at 27 this could be a life changing move for him finance wise and maybe his last opportunity.

He may see Fulham as having bigger potential and they are certainly splashing the cash. Time will tell if the move follows that of Simon Moore or he becomes a PL player which I think his talent deserves. We are putting a lot of faith in Bentley but if the hype is realised we may have made some astute decisions here. I also think this is the season Bonham steps up, clearly the club have a lot of faith in him.

Roll on August I can't wait for the season to start. Can't make Hudders but looking forward to the 13th and the return of normality, had enough of this off season now....

I don't see how it's the DoF's fault. Surely it's down to Benham to decide if a player starting his last year of his contract - and who refuses the offer on the table - is sold and at what price. He will also be aware as to what is out there in terms of replacements. Apparently there is no affordable, young, quality left back in the lower leagues and it looks like we'll be relying on loanees or current squad players - none of whom I believe to be good enough yet.

Apparently Button went for £1.5m plus £0.5m add ons. I hope that isn't based on the number of goals he has to score!

"Fault" wasn't quite what was said tbf beefeater, the DoF's are responsible for recruitment & contract management. We had 2 key contracts up & have not been able to retain either player. We all get why, but PG/RA will be judged on the big calls they have to make, if as you suggest we can't recruit a replacement LB it will seem like poor planning. And if JB & DB do well at their new clubs it'll be hard to swallow for many, hence why I suggested it could blow back on the DoF's.

Dear Mr Beefeater

I suggest you read my comments again.

You might also want to reflect on the fact that Phil Giles was quoted twice as saying more or less that some fans wouldn't be happy about selling to local rivals but it was the best deal for the club.

I realise of course there's a committee to decide these things, but the buck stops with the DOFs.

My issue is with selling Bidwell without having a replacement lined up, but let's see what happens over the next week.

Regards

Gordon

What makes you think I was responding to you Gordon?

Rebel, I don't think it's a great leap from 'being held responsible' to being 'at fault'.

It's good to know we can be as pedantic as the GPG on here. Happy days.

Come on Beefeater, neither GB or myself said what you'd implied, so a correction was fair imo. If you read the posts again you'll see that.

If DB/JB tear it up at our local rivals there will be a sizable section of our support that won't be having it at all. It's a ballsy call by BFC via the DoF's - which I accept and understand.

Nothing much to see here mate, with respect i think you are trying too hard to over protect BFC & DoF's when it isn't needed this time round.

Rebel, I never said that either you or Gordon implied that it would be the DoF's fault - your implication was that it would be seen that way by fans if they turn out to be uber successful at their respective new clubs.

I was pretty much agreeing that it would be an unfair laying of blame on the DoFs because MB makes the decisions, firstly on at what level to offer any new contract on and secondly the value of the player with only one year of his contract left.

The DoFs can't offer Button £10k a week if MB doesn't sanction it. Neither can they let him go to Leeds for £500k if Fulham offer three times as much.

Anyway, we'll finish above both of them!

Friends again?

All good beefeater, always was mate. I needed to clarify my thoughts on this as it wasn't negative at all, the defenders of the realm are already on patrol ready to jump on anyone who strays from the party line.

Anyway I was at wall yesterday, nice to see some of the chaps and to imbibe around LB /Borough. Decent little turn out from us despite Southern rail's incompetence, 400 odd, but really poor from them, less than 2k at TC's testimonial!

Game was poor, we were lucky not to get well beaten. Yes it is only a friendly and they don't matter but on the evidence I've seen we seem weeks off being ready. We have good players but I've no idea what his starting 11 will be or should be. Back 4 look leggy, not much spark in midfield, Hogan isolated. Plus another crop of injuries. We have this habit of knocking the ball around without purpose, then lose possession inviting pressure on ourselves, we won't gain points from winning opta possession stats.

On what ive seen the new boys will take time to settle but will all be decent, Elder looked steady. Holdback can't be far off and some of the youngsters have done well in pre season. The enigma will be Josh, one delicious forward pass was his afternoon's contribution - sadly not enough.

I hope we can get the Exeter boy in because as we all know we lack direct pace & power in forward positions.

Anyway bring on the real stuff next week then we can have a proper look at where we are.

Nice one Rebel, I never made it to Millwall but heard it on Beesplayer and it sounded pretty grim at the back. We've always struggled with direct long ball play haven't we. Is Harlee playing himself out of the side? Is Egan a better fit? In theory we've got the two lefties: Barbet and Bjellend fighting it out for one spot and the two righties: Dean and Egan fighting for the other. I suppose it's a good position to be in but we might need to try a few combinations to see which works best.

The best thing to come out of yesterday was Smith's post match interview - very unhappy! I don't think he's going to let that nonsense carry on for too long.

MacEachran is an enigma isn't he. From what I've seen so far this pre-season Woods, Macleod and Sawyers are starters. I can see MacEachran dropping down when Nico is back - and if that is too far away Macca can take his place for now. We need better than Saunders, someone more driving with the ball - is the Exeter lad that kind of player? What's Jota up to?

Yer I was pleased with DS's post match remarks, a big reality check in advance of our opener up at Hudds. He has a decent squad, and it is his squad now, so the focus is rightly on the head coach. I felt we stumbled on something that worked at or just after the Forest game last term, I have this minor worry that the more resources he has, and the more tactical he becomes, that we sort of cancel ourselves out Only friendlies I know.

As for Watkins, I've seen a bit, he looks powerful, very direct and has a trick,.always looking to get a shot off.

Josh Mac really is an enigma, that one pass on Sat was beautiful. But he did little else of note and their more direct approach caused all sorts of issues across the middle and at the back.

I've no idea what my starting 11 should be on Sat, worse still i'm very undecided about the skipper - i'm leaning towards Woods at the mo.

I suspect Bjellend would have been a shoe-in for skipper this season had he not been injured [again!] Dean isn't in my top two centre halves, therefore making him captain wouldn't be a great idea!

I'm going to go for Ryan, I heard that he had knocked on DS's door late last season asking to be played in his favored CM position and to have more responsibility. No issue with that if done the right way, and he's playing like he was heard and understood. So he's my late runner for the armband at least until Bjelland is back.

HD needs to concentrate on his own game and can still be vocal and influential if playing well enough.