David Sharp very Strange | Vital Football

David Sharp very Strange

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
MANSFIELD TOWN

🤝 We are delighted to announce the appointment of former Wigan Athletic chairman David Sharpe as our new director of football.

This Is really strange to me why would he want to do that and does he have any qualifications to do it.I think there's plenty on here more qualified. Has the agent job gone tits up

Last edited:
Sharpe clearly wanted to get back involved in the day to day running of a club and with all due respect to him he's not got the cv to get a DOF role at a bigger club so he'll see Mansfield as a good chance to build his reputation. Good luck to him.

MANSFIELD TOWN

🤝 We are delighted to announce the appointment of former Wigan Athletic chairman David Sharpe as our new director of football.

This Is really strange to me why would he want to do that and does he have any qualifications to do it.I think there's plenty on here more qualified. Has the agent job gone tits up
More importantly why would a young man of means want to go to Mansfield at all ?
The place makes Wigan look like Monaco 🤣

Nothing wrong with that all, clearly wanted to work within football in a industry he loves the most. his role here helped put his foot on the ladder so good luck to him.

I have always had that thought at the back of my mind too. If Choi mucks us about we will need a saviour!

He doesn't have the money to do that & has admitted that Latics became a drain on his grandad's & the families money by the time that they moved on
Whilst it'd be good to have a Latics fan back at the helm the only way Sharpe will be back is as the figurehead of a group takeover

What he's doing at Mansfield is spending someone elses money

He doesn't have the money to do that & has admitted that Latics became a drain on his grandad's & the families money by the time that they moved on
Whilst it'd be good to have a Latics fan back at the helm the only way Sharpe will be back is as the figurehead of a group takeover

What he's doing at Mansfield is spending someone elses money

I think he could buy us again with his Grandads money but it would be under very different circumstances and the club would be run very differently.

I'm thinking along the lines of Choi running us into massive financial difficulty and we go into admin for example.

Still maintain that he’ll be back here as owner sooner rather than later.
Has he got the money to not only pay for the club but the million a month to keep it going.
May be when his grandad dies, but it will be gone pretty quick.

Or do you know something different.

Common sense says he is probably afew million closer than me to buyng them but not close enough

Last edited:
I think he could buy us again with his Grandads money but it would be under very different circumstances and the club would be run very differently.

I'm thinking along the lines of Choi running us into massive financial difficulty and we go into admin for example.

Based on what? Both statements

Has he got the money to not only pay for the club but the million a month to keep it going.
May be when his grandad dies, but it will be gone pretty quick.

Or do you know something different.

Common sense says he us probably afew million closer than me to bying them but not close enough

What he said ⬆️

Based on what? Both statements

Read other thread about us paying back a loan of 30m plus 8% interest in 12 months. Thats not even taking into account about 20m loses in last 2 years plus an expected 15m loss this season. Financial issues are imminent.

Sharpe never wanted to leave but if we end up in administration and are facing extinction I can see Sharpe and Whelan trying to save us and buy us back at a cheap price then run us on a massively reduced budget with much lower ambitions.

Read other thread about us paying back a loan of 30m plus 8% interest in 12 months. Thats not even taking into account about 20m loses in last 2 years plus an expected 15m loss this season. Financial issues are imminent.

Sharpe never wanted to leave but if we end up in administration and are facing extinction I can see Sharpe and Whelan trying to save us and buy us back at a cheap price then run us on a massively reduced budget with much lower ambitions.

The first point it was the under Whelan you just trusted him as he was a local bloke and not an asian stranger. Whelan only lent latics money until it obvious he would never get it back. So he wrote it off then sold the club. If Latics had been making money he will jav took it all back. Whelan just wrote off bad debt, most business have to.
The only reason we never saw how Whelans loans was structured was beacouse it was a private company and not part of a PLC.

And if you think Whelan will come back and resue us in your doomsday scenerio.A he would have to be in good health which apprantly he isnt tip top mentally anymore and Be arsed enough to do it, and he had had enough by the end all the money he had spent, he had the cup win and the fun of the prem. Then started making bad choices, shit managers and racist comments.

He aint coming back

All you its the end of the wrold because latics are borrowing money, grow up its always been like that.

The first point it was the under Whelan you just trusted him as he was a local bloke and not an asian stranger. Whelan only lent latics money until it obvious he would never get it back. So he wrote it off then sold the club. If Latics had been making money he will jav took it all back. Whelan just wrote off bad debt, most business have to.
The only reason we never saw how Whelans loans was structured was beacouse it was a private company and not part of a PLC.

And if you think Whelan will come back and resue us in your doomsday scenerio.A he would have to be in good health which apprantly he isnt tip top mentally anymore and Be arsed enough to do it, and he had had enough by the end all the money he had spent, he had the cup win and the fun of the prem. Then started making bad choices, shit managers and racist comments.

He aint coming back

All you its the end of the wrold because latics are borrowing money, grow up its always been like that.
There's a whole world of difference between loaning money from a locally based benefactor who genuinely cares for our town and our club and.......
A faceless owner of a faceless corporation who appointed a faceless chairman none of whom have any connection with out town or our club as a speculative punt at mega riches which will not be successful.
Will the current regime be prepared to write off scale debt to secure the clubs long term survival - I very much doubt it

He aint coming back

You are assuming I trusted Whelan blindly, that I trusted him because he was local and I don't trust the current ownership because they are 'asian strangers'. All 3 are things made up in your head and not things I've ever said.

There is a thread about the money situation which is why I have concerns about our new owners - nothing to do with who they are or where they come from. I didn't trust Whelan or Sharpe blindly they got a lot wrong and them being local meant very little it's actions that generate credibility not geography.

As for it being the end of the world for borrowing money - no, the end of the world comes when you've ran up massive debts and cant repay them - look at our current debts, look at the additional debt and look at the expected payment date and tell me how we realistically generate the revenue to pay that back. If you can't understand that I think you are the one who should grow up.

As for Whelan he wasn't chairman only owner for last few years and Sharpe did all the work so it's obvious he would never be back as chairman but he still loves this club and attends the games and it's in Sharpes blood. If we ended up in a Bolton or Bury style situation on the brink of exstinction they would have a go at saving us. The days of paying players 10k+ a week, million pound transfers and prem ambition would be well and truly over and it would be a large downsizing to try and make it affordable - but I think they would do what they could to keep us alive.

Last edited: