Dave Greenfield | Vital Football

Dave Greenfield

buckielugger

Vital 1st Team Regular
Not Imps related but we do often discuss music here too:

Sad news just been announced:

Dave Greenfield, genius keyboard player with the Stranglers died last night from the coronavirus.

I was a fan right from the start and have seen the Stranglers many times. Dave has always been my alltime favourite keyboard player by far.

Lucky to have had a meal with him once too in Campbeltown, Kintyre, of all places.
Great guy.

Many thousands have died and will die from this dreaded virus. Terrible news for all involved in each case.
This death will hit Dave's family and friends and a much bigger family too - all of us Stranglers fans.

Saw them for the first time at Norwich UEA a couple of years back and they were excellent. Having bought the Black & White album back in the day I’m still unsure why I left it so long? 🤔

RIP Dave Greenfield 😞

Punk... or New Wave?

Very sad news. I only saw them once about 15 years ago, but they were very good.
Good point - but when I saw them early in 1977, 'new wave' wasn't really a thing and they were another 'dangerous' punk band with a crackle in the atmosphere, albeit with a usp. 'New wave' was reserved for some New York bands such as Television. By the time 'Peaches' and 'Go Buddy Go' were on the jukebox loop which accompanied games of pool which were the highlight of a wash-out summer camping holiday, the terminology was becoming more of a thing.

Good point - but when I saw them early in 1977, 'new wave' wasn't really a thing and they were another 'dangerous' punk band with a crackle in the atmosphere, albeit with a usp. 'New wave' was reserved for some New York bands such as Television. By the time 'Peaches' and 'Go Buddy Go' were on the jukebox loop which accompanied games of pool which were the highlight of a wash-out summer camping holiday, the terminology was becoming more of a thing.

Early '77. Well-played. So many iconic bands around then. As a minor claim to fame, in later years my band supported the UK Subs and 999 who were both around then.

Early '77. Well-played. So many iconic bands around then. As a minor claim to fame, in later years my band supported the UK Subs and 999 who were both around then.

At the labour club? I remember both those bands playing there pretty regularly in the mid to late 90s.

At the labour club? I remember both those bands playing there pretty regularly in the mid to late 90s.

No, I didn't then, but the band that I joined just after that period did. They were called "Channel Stoopid" (who mutated into "Pointy Boss") and supported the UK Subs at the Labour Club with, I think, the other band being a local-based Lincoln band "Suburban Toys". I was at that gig.

"Channel Stoopid's" drummer had just left, so my housemate Simon sat in with only about 3 rehearsals to learn the set. He was left-handed and was using the Sub's drummer's kit. He asked if he could change it around as he was a leftie, but the Sub's drummer said "No!". So he did the whole gig right-handed - stunning performance!

My first gig supporting the Subs was at the Running Horse in Nottingham in, I think, 1999.

No, I didn't then, but the band that I joined just after that period did. They were called "Channel Stoopid" (who mutated into "Pointy Boss") and supported the UK Subs at the Labour Club with, I think, the other band being a local-based Lincoln band "Suburban Toys". I was at that gig.

"Channel Stoopid's" drummer had just left, so my housemate Simon sat in with only about 3 rehearsals to learn the set. He was left-handed and was using the Sub's drummer's kit. He asked if he could change it around as he was a leftie, but the Sub's drummer said "No!". So he did the whole gig right-handed - stunning performance!

My first gig supporting the Subs was at the Running Horse in Nottingham in, I think, 1999.

I was at the gigs too. The UK Subs were particularly good live. I seem to remember 999 played the night of the Brighton promotion game?

I was at the gigs too. The UK Subs were particularly good live. I seem to remember 999 played the night of the Brighton promotion game?

Did they? I wasn't really - and am still not - a punk, tbh. In my youth, it was more heavy rock, 70s rock, the better metal and New Wave.

I was recruited because I was mates with half of "Channel Stoopid" and had noodled around a bit on guitar for years and they needed someone to fill the spot.

But I grew to really like the Subs, 999, The Ruts, SLF, Buzzcocks, Ramones and a host of the other more melodic/rocky (i.e, less shouty) acts from the period (GBH and The Exploited not my bag!)

We used to do songs from all those bands in our set, "Warhead" and "Riot" being my favourites from the Subs.

I retired recently after 20 years owing to moving north and have fired up the acoustic again! Now writing folky/ballad stuff with the Mrs, who can sing.

Did you play, mate?

Did they? I wasn't really - and am still not - a punk, tbh. In my youth, it was more heavy rock, 70s rock, the better metal and New Wave.

I was recruited because I was mates with half of "Channel Stoopid" and had noodled around a bit on guitar for years and they needed someone to fill the spot.

But I grew to really like the Subs, 999, The Ruts, SLF, Buzzcocks, Ramones and a host of the other more melodic/rocky (i.e, less shouty) acts from the period (GBH and The Exploited not my bag!)

We used to do songs from all those bands in our set, "Warhead" and "Riot" being my favourites from the Subs.

I retired recently after 20 years owing to moving north and have fired up the acoustic again! Now writing folky/ballad stuff with the Mrs, who can sing.

Did you play, mate?

No, but I've just bought an acoustic so plan to learn. If Captain Tom can get to number one at 99 there is hope for me yet!

And Phil May from the Pretty Things. Don't know their stuff at all well outside the early singles, but hugely influential, I understand.