Dave Greenfield RIP | Vital Football

Dave Greenfield RIP

F'kin virus needs to fuck right off. RIP to a musician from a band that made a massive impact on me as a 13 year old.
Same although I was a couple of years older. Still got loads of their early stuff. RIP to a unique keyboard player.

Last edited:
I read that he contracted covid whilst having hospital treatment for heart problems.
Any disease will take the weakest first.
RIP

The sound of the Stranglers imho. RIP indeed. First saw them as a Doors cover band at Horsted College, mid 70s. Saw them at the TVS studios, The Hope and Anchor and Hammersmith Odeon. Dave's elegant keyboard work defined their unique sound.

I'm only 28 but still rate a few Stranglers tunes like no more heroes, golden brown and peaches. Had those tunes on my ipod from a young age.

Golden Brown another superb song.

Today I listened back over some Stranglers hits, including those 3 songs you mentioned there Bromley. Such a huge difference between the 3. Amazing that they are all by the same band. Genius.

The sound of the Stranglers imho. RIP indeed. First saw them as a Doors cover band at Horsted College, mid 70s.

I never knew that they were originally a band doing covers of Doors songs although in yesterday's article it said:

Critics compared his sound to that of Ray Manzarek from The Doors.
In an interview with the band's website, however, the man himself said he was more influenced by a couple of other famous keyboard players.
"The only tracks by the Doors I knew were Light My Fire & Riders on the Storm," said Greenfield. "Before I joined my main influences were probably Jon Lord [Deep Purple] and then Rick Wakeman [Yes]."

I never knew that they were originally a band doing covers of Doors songs although in yesterday's article it said:

Critics compared his sound to that of Ray Manzarek from The Doors.
In an interview with the band's website, however, the man himself said he was more influenced by a couple of other famous keyboard players.
"The only tracks by the Doors I knew were Light My Fire & Riders on the Storm," said Greenfield. "Before I joined my main influences were probably Jon Lord [Deep Purple] and then Rick Wakeman [Yes]."

I think they were called the Guildford Stranglers back then. They played mainly covers but remember the Doors big hits as I was a fan of them too. Once they shortened to just The Stranglers, they caught the punk wave to stardom. I never thought of them as a punk band though.

It always amused me how many people, including my late Mum and other half, loved Golden Brown as a tune, when the general Stranglers new wave sound was not their thing at all.

I don't think they were too pleased to having it pointed out that the song is actually about cannabis resin. "With my mind she runs" and "never a frown" are a bit of a give away, mind.

It always amused me how many people, including my late Mum and other half, loved Golden Brown as a tune, when the general Stranglers new wave sound was not their thing at all.

I don't think they were too pleased to having it pointed out that the song is actually about cannabis resin. "With my mind she runs" and "never a frown" are a bit of a give away, mind.

It's about heroin ......................