Dave Challinor | Vital Football

Dave Challinor

Block Sands

Vital Reserves Team
Just read DC's comments about a new contract and I think it gives me optimism rather than pessimism. DC's current contract extends to next summer and he's in no hurry to sign a new one. My interpretation of that is that he's hoping to do well with Pools in the coming season and then be looking for a move to a bigger club at the end of the season so there's no point in tying himself down to a longer contract now. If he does OK but not promotion standard he could probably then get a new deal at Pools anyway.

Either way if he does well with us he'll probably get offers during the season anyway so we're unlikely to keep him unless he does rubbish in which case we'll want him out ourselves.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Under the circumstances a mid table finish would be good outcome for us. I cant envisage much better given the the transfer issues. Who is going to score our goals? Is it realistic to expect DC to unearth another Rhys Oates or get a regular goal scorer on loan? Nope, a season of consolidation is what I am hoping for.

With DC I think it is a question of proving his worth, DC believes he is worthy of an improved contract, possibly greater than being offered by Raj, so the coming weeks / months will determine if Pools are willing to agree terms to DCs satisfaction. If DC were going to leave it will be mid season when any compensation is diminished. But first he has to demonstrate that he can perform at EFL level!

In respect of final league position 3rd bottom will be satisfactory, especially given the constraints, seven weeks to assemble a squad, etc, that Pools are having to work with.

Yep, FL survival is paramount but a season not blighted by relegation worries would be nice. As for DC, I suspect his departure is inevitable but lets hope it is later rather than sooner.