Dave C | Vital Football

Dave C

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
Some rather disturbing speculation in the Mail about Dave C being favourite for the Tranmere job. I hope it does turn out to be just speculation. I realize Dave is an excellent manager and he was never going to be with us for the long term but if we could keep him for one more season it would make a big difference to the club we love. Maybe Raj can scare the Trannies away with a hefty compensation demand.

As you say Alf2, hopefully this will turn out to be idle speculation by the Mail.
If true though and DC wishes to take up the role, then yes get some reasonable compensation then wish him well in his future endeavours. As with players I don't think it is beneficial to hang on to people once they've indicated a desire to move on.

It's a fact of life in the lower leagues that successful players and managers are poached by higher clubs so DC is bound to attract attention. He also has history with Tranmere so it's a logical connection. If he continues to do well he will eventually leave us and good luck to him. We just have to hope we can at least see out this season and I would hope for one more full season as well.

If DC were to join Tranmere I guess it would be because of emotional links rather than anything else. After all, Tranmere are only one league above us and it is not impossible that Pool sand Tranmere could be playing against each other next season anyway so its not like Liverpool are knocking at the door. Anyway, hoping and praying Dave is staying with us for a few more months at least.

Looking at some of the stories in The Mail, attributing comments of disgruntlement, after Sunday's match, I just wonder if DC is starting to soften up us supporters for his departure to pastures new, after our promotion push falters?

I think Dave is right to be disgruntled with that rather limp performance on Sunday. Imagine what Poolies would be saying if he suggested that what happened at Sutton was in any way OK. I anticipate quite a clear out this summer as a new team has to be built for another promotion tilt. It is clear Dave has finally become aware that more than a few Pools regulars are a bit on the fragile side when the going gets tough. On the subject of Dave's future, the Poolie Podcast in the online Mail said that Micky Mellon another former Tranmere player is now red hot favourite for the Tranmere job(sigh of relief from me).

Is a wholesale clear-out a good idea ? We are after all nailed on for fourth place. Some of the regulars are a bit fragile. Of course they are, they are National League standard. That's why they are at this level. I think we are part way through Dave Challinor's rebuilding of our club. What we have now is WAY better than what we've got used to over the past several years and isn't far off being pretty good. The problem is that the relative success has been down to loan players who, most likely, won't be with us next season so a change of staff is inevitable. I anticipate three or four out the door to be replaced by, hopefully, better players and some different. hopefully better, loanees.

Agree that this is the best season we have had for years which I guess is why the way it is crashing is that much more disappointing. As for fragility being a part of National League players inbuilt characteristics, not so sure. Sutton players not showing much sign of fragility all season long not just on Sunday and I remember being full of admiration for Harrogate Town last season who went up via the play offs. As for the clear out; not suggesting throwing out the baby with the bath water but there are a number of players in the Pools squad who in my opinion need to be moved on. Of course we are nailed on for the play offs but the Sutton game has revealed some major issues with this team that throw doubt on their ability to cope in pressure situations. I sincerely hope I am proved wrong.

Hopefully our relative success this season will encourage better players to join for next season either in Nat League or, hopefully, EFL

I must admit, I cant quite get my head round what goes on with NL clubs and transfers. No fees ever get paid and some clubs just seem to lose most of their squad. I remember at the end of our first season in the NL Ebbsfleet were a good solid side who ended the season in the play offs but following that lots of their best players left (Nathan Ashmore is just one i remember) and the next season they got relegated. We got Kabamba for nothing and for the first few months he was superb for us. Last summer Luke James just went to Barrow, no fee and that promising youngster who scored the winner against Exeter goes to Sunderland for nowt. Anyway, maybe wait till the play offs are done and dusted before I name players I think should go but I don't mind naming a player we should definitely sign if he is available: Richie Bennett. He made a heck of a difference and I think I am right in saying we were unbeaten with him in the side. I think we would have been far less of push overs for Sutton on Sunday if he was in our team.