Dave C almost ready to sign new deal | Vital Football

Dave C almost ready to sign new deal

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
At last it seems this is going to be sorted. I only wish Raj had backed Dave C in the close season. For example by paying what Luke Armstrong wanted. I cant believe a team like Harrogate was willing to pay more than us. No disrespect to Harrogate but their attendances are much lower than ours: in their three FL home games so far this season they have not managed 2,000 fans in any of the games. I cant help feeling that Luke would have stayed with us if the right offer had been made.

Last edited:
Sorry Alf but I don't think you know the details of what went on with Luke. Was it only money ? Is Luke value ?

No idea why Luke Armstrong went to Harrogate rather than stay at Pools, though I do suspect it had to do with wages and length of contract. Raj, it seems, is determined not to put Pools in to hock for one player; an attitude to be applauded IMO!

With regards to DCs contract, I'll be happy once it is signed, but won't be counting on it until signatures are applied.

Of more concern today is the news that Pools are going to be without Tyler Burey for an extended period.

Sorry Alf but I don't think you know the details of what went on with Luke. Was it only money ? Is Luke value ?
Very true, I dont know the details regarding Luke. I can only surmise it was a wages issue given the speed of his departure. Maybe you know more than I do, and if so I would be pleased to read it. Dave C mentioned Luke in one of his interviews after the Tranmere loss when talking about about the chances we missed. He said "A Luke Armstrong would have had three goals". Seems to me from that he would have liked to have kept him had it been possible. Closely related to this is the Richie Bennett issue. Why the heck did a player who is from the North West, who has spent his life there suddenly go to Sutton, again a much smaller club with a smaller fan base than Pools. He did well with us and would have been perfect for our playing style. Again I assume Sutton were prepared to pay him more. Dave is doing a great job with players he has but Saturday underlined the lack of striking options at the club which in the long run will make this season harder than it needed to be had Raj been more prepared to back Dave C.

No I don't know any more than you do Alf. That's the point. None of us knows what goes on behind the scenes so it's pointless and a bit insulting of Raj to simply say he isn't backing his manager.

No I don't know any more than you do Alf. That's the point. None of us knows what goes on behind the scenes so it's pointless and a bit insulting of Raj to simply say he isn't backing his manager.
No intent to insult Raj or anyone else for that matter but the fact is when teams get promoted whether it be from from NL, League 2 or wherever, they strenghthen their team because they know they will face better opposition. Pools strike force is currently dependent on two young loan players and two former trialists who have yet to prove themselves. This is poor in my opinion because however good the loan players are, they will be gone after Christmas particularly if they are successful. We have signed numerous defenders and maybe if we had signed less of them we would have had the wages available to pay Armstrong or to offer Oates more money than Mansfield. It is very early days but if we had a decent striker at the club there would be more cause for optimism because Dave C is undoubtedly the best manager we have had in a very long time and should have been given the tools to do his job.

No idea why Luke Armstrong went to Harrogate rather than stay at Pools, though I do suspect it had to do with wages and length of contract. Raj, it seems, is determined not to put Pools in to hock for one player; an attitude to be applauded IMO!

With regards to DCs contract, I'll be happy once it is signed, but won't be counting on it until signatures are applied.

Of more concern today is the news that Pools are going to be without Tyler Burey for an extended period.
I agree it would be folly to put the club in to hock for the sake of one player but the fact he has gone to Harrogate Town indicates he cant by earning all that much. If we had stretched the budget to keep him, I suspect he would have paid the club back because his goals would most likely increase the teams win rate which in turn brings in the crowds who pay money. Obviously this cannot be 100% certain but we are in the FL at last, surely it is worth taking a risk to be more sure we stay there. At the moment we are riding the crest of a wave and long may it continue but what happens when the feel good factor wanes when we lose a game or two at the Vic and still cant win away? As you say Burey is out for a while which badly diminishes our goal scoring potential. I have a feeling the chickens might start coming home to roost starting on Saturday. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
. If we had stretched the budget to keep him, ........

But again, money might not have been the deciding factor. Maybe he just fancied living in Harrogate rather than Hartlepool. Maybe he didn't get on with DC who knows but it's pointless banging on about us not spending. And, never forget, most of the money comes out of Raj's pocket.

I agree numerous factors could have been at play but the reason I am primarily focusing on Armstrong is that DC mentioned him in the interview. I suppose my main point is, as a newly promoted team we should have moved heaven and earth to sign a decent striker (whoever it was) but for reasons I cannot fathom, we didn't do it and in my view it is a serious error. I hope I am proved wrong because like you, I am a Poolie through and through. By the way, Armstrong's family are from the North East and he was living with them while playing for Pools. Being with family was one of the reasons he came to us from Salford where he was living by himself. Dunno, mebbe he got fed up with living with his family.

Excellent news but if we are only mid-table or lower at Christmas some fans will be calling for him to be sacked - not me I hasten to add.

Excellent news but if we are only mid-table or lower at Christmas some fans will be calling for him to be sacked - not me I hasten to add.
Truer words were never spoken. It's mysterious, isn't it, how so many people will sit back and remain silent while our 'leaders' ruin the country, yet be up in arms when a football manager loses 3 games on the trot!

Anyway, yes, great news about Dave C.

In any group of people be they football fans or or any other type, there will always be a minority of halfwits. If Pools are mid table at Christmas I will be more than happy. I suspect that as this season unfolds, it will prove to be challenging given our goal scoring problems and our reliance on a 35 yr old Centre Back . For me, survival in the FL is the key aim. Following that we will have a proper close season and maybe attract a decent striker or two.

I dont think he was deflecting, he freely admitted it was the worst performances of any team he had been associated with since he became a manager: a brutally honest statement. Anyway, as if the Orient performance/result wasn't thoroughly depressing enough there seems to be a hint that Dave C could be about to walk. I dont think I can cope with any more bad news. If Dave told the players he was considering leaving it might explain the shocking performance. Then again, I suppose we can we can speculate about the cryptic remark till blue in the face but we will just have to wait and see what transpires in the next few weeks.