Dare i say- "game was a joy", today | Vital Football

Dare i say- "game was a joy", today

jocklatic

Vital 1st Team Regular
1st game of the season for me n a thoroughly good game & after that performance I feel we'll be ok in this league. TBF I thought a draw would have not discredited either side n maybe just maybe had we had that penalty shout near the end given then it was 2-3 as a final score. Grealish is one prima donna tho, diving all over the show n the way the villa fans were celebrating outside the ground ud have thot they'd won the league FFS.

Well, it's fair to say I felt no joy whatsoever today.
Set off at 12pm, reckoning that I was allowing plenty of time for roadworks.
Hit Hilton Park services at 1.50pm (with a clear road in front of us.
Rejoined a stationary motorway at 2pm.
By 2.45pm, we'd gone about 100 yards.
By 3.45pm, we'd just started moving properly again and we're approaching junction 10.
Given that at best, we were going to get to see half of the second half, we came off, went round the roundabout and headed home!

The game sounded a belter from PK and WAFC twitter timeliness.

No bloody joy in our car though!!!
?

For what's normally a 80 or 90 minute journey, and the allowing for the roadworks (which with the limits, at least keep you flowing), I thought we'd be fine...... as evidenced by the time we hit Hilton Park.

There was a bump between 10 & 10a which brought things to a standstill.

Bugger......... Though it may bring joy to one or two on here.
?

For what's normally a 80 or 90 minute journey, and the allowing for the roadworks (which with the limits, at least keep you flowing), I thought we'd be fine...... as evidenced by the time we hit Hilton Park.

There was a bump between 10 & 10a which brought things to a standstill.

Bugger......... Though it may bring joy to one or two on here.
?
Moonay........we set off at 12 n despite the restricted 50mph zones it was still heavy traffic. In fact we were about 20 cars behind the big crash around 1.45 so any traffic later than that did be in that que for some time. Was a 4x4 with trailer on its side in 3rd lane + a few other cars. Gutted the 3 points never came home with us but def 'Joy' in parts how the team played.

Haven't seen too much of Grealish to be fair. Today whilst he did dive at every opportunity he showed some real class. Not many players will go past Morsy or send him the wrong was as often as he did today. Whilst the ref helped him out with a handful of freekicks, those freekicks from McGinn lead to their best chances.

Travelling anywhere these days be it via road or rail is a lottery, the transport infrastructure in this country is too under funded and too over crowded. Not a good combo. Feel for you Moonay.

In regards the game gutted we didn't win, let alone draw it. That said defensively we were very poor at times, particularly Walton and two centre halves. Chuck in two inexperienced full backs as well and it's clear in what area we need improvement. Going forward and general approach however I've no real complaints. May sound like sour grapes but I thought the ref was shite and we could have had at least one pen. Grealish was rarely off his arse and official fell for a lot of it.

No joy at the final whistle today, however I contrast it with our last visit to villa park and it was chalk and cheese so no real despondency today. Plenty for Cook to work on however, though see no reason why we won't improve.

Agree with everything there, roads and the game anaysis is spot on. Gutted for you Mooney, so glad we didn't have the evening off work now and travel, watched it on a very good stream.

Grealish is not that special. Neat and tidy and kept the ball well but he didn’t stand out like Bruce said after the game “head and shoulders” above everyone else on the pitch - do me a favour Steve. Funniest thing was us Latics fans singing “he wanted to leave” to counter the “he’s one of our own” chants from the home fans.

One thing I will say about Grealish though is that he has the biggest calf muscles I’ve ever seen, no wonder he can’t roll his socks up!

We just missed burn on crosses that's all, 4 of the 5 goals we conceded so far are from crosses and that's something what will change with our defence improving.
Not many teams will play that well at Villa Park this season than us.

We will be fine and it's great to see the fans clapping after the loss, they were immence.

Similar sentiments Hindleymon.....we more than held our own against a very good Villa side who imho will be there or thereabouts challenging for promotion. So on that basis perhaps we cud be on their coat tails me thinks!!!!

Yes we did miss Burn, but please don't excuse his absence for Waltons poor goalkeeping.

I said it last year when all the praise was being heaped on Walton for keeping so many clean sheets, he is suspect on crosses. Last year we had a six foot seven colossus getting his head to every ball that came into the box so Walton could hold his line. It is very different this year with no Big Dan to clear the area, he will be tested. It is now up to the goalkeeping coach to instill the confidence to come for the ball and not hang back to let the defence do the work. Its all part of the learning curve of becoming a top keeper, knowing when to come and when to stay put. He will adapt as will the rest of the back four, Superman has left the building, almost, now we need to get on with rebuilding the back line into the solid unit they were last year.

Encouraging and entertaining start to season. Agree that Christian will need to improve his handling of crosses if he wants to get to the very top. Thought closing down for their winner was also poor. But will take all of that in the round. We have already scored 5 goals in this league which was my main concern ahead of the season.

Encouraging and entertaining start to season. Agree that Christian will need to improve his handling of crosses if he wants to get to the very top. Thought closing down for their winner was also poor. But will take all of that in the round. We have already scored 5 goals in this league which was my main concern ahead of the season.

must admit for me scoring goals this seeson were never a concern. i new that they wuold come. but as lmb and somebody else sed before we kicked a ball in anger that the defence would be the area thatll let us down in games.

its ok for us to sey that cook is on it and that its an area we will make beter but it needs to hapen sooner than later. we dont want to find areselfs constantly pleying catch up and lumbering in the bottom 6 for most of the first half of the seeson. it wont do the confedence of the pleyers any good.

tb. as are goalie expert on heer. makes a good point about geting the coach to quickly develop walton more. weve all seen that hes had the protecteon of some big lads last seeson and mite of been a bit complacement at some crosses and now needs to revisit the basics.

itll come good

I don't think he needs to revisit the basics Brick, I just think he needs to know what the two centre halves will do when the ball comes over. He needs to know that he is not going to be impeded by his own player when he goes for the ball. He also needs to know that the centre back will give him some protection by shielding him from challenges whist in the air. This will come from time spent getting to know their games and from defensive coaching on the training ground. It is also imperative that the full backs do their jobs and cut out the crosses.

Having looked at the video if you freeze it as the guy crosses for the winner the guy who scores looks vrery much offside

I don't think he needs to revisit the basics Brick, I just think he needs to know what the two centre halves will do when the ball comes over. He needs to know that he is not going to be impeded by his own player when he goes for the ball. He also needs to know that the centre back will give him some protection by shielding him from challenges whist in the air. This will come from time spent getting to know their games and from defensive coaching on the training ground. It is also imperative that the full backs do their jobs and cut out the crosses.

some say tomato

I left at about 11.45am and was stuck in traffic with the car crash too, but we were fortunate enough that there were maybe 20 cars in front of us when it happened so we very slowly got through and ended up getting there without too much issue in the end. But when we were sitting in it i did think anyone who left even 5 or 10 mins later would've been seriously screwed for getting there on time. Gutted for anyone who suffered that misfortune - i couldn't get to MK Dons last season due to horrific traffic so i know how frustrating it is.