Danny will not panic | Page 4 | Vital Football

Danny will not panic

Interesting about us having a bigger squad. It's a fine balance as we're talking about 2 players leaving because they're not getting enough game time (despite 40+ apps last season)

So you aren't at all keen on seeing us reach the play-offs again?

Some perspective is needed here. Some people have unrealistic fantasies about Lincoln having loads of money and being able to spend a large chunk of it on a brilliant striker who will score us 30 goals next season. Pie in the sky, I'm afraid.
To be fair I don't read that in anyones posts on here. Most are only saying what Danny has been trying to do since last August, ie buy a striker better than what we've already got or commenting on rumours from twitter etc. Our transfer history in the last year also suggests we have a habit of punching above our level, strikers may be more expensive but I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to do that with a striker.

i believe we started last season with 18 contracted players. + 4 loanees. three of the contracted players were howe, mccombe and walton - so effectively the squad was 19.

if we start the season with 24 effective players it will not be the usual, but it will be showing the management have learned from last season. i am expecting to see that they have learned this and an awful lot more from last season.

a squad of 25 would be a 31% increase from last season ;)

Anybody thinking that promotion is achievable with a squad size we had last season is deluded in my opinion.(46 game season)
.The facts are there to see we failed to get over the line last season(small margins) and the larger squads fought it out at Wembley with Coventry promoted despite only achieving the same points over the season as us.
Injuries and poor form plus a very average January window allied to the small squad model failed to get LCFC over the line last season.....fact.
The numbers we ran with last year hardly even gave competition for the shirt on a Saturday once injuries kicked in.

There was nothing sparkling about the playoff opponents last season, with a larger squad we could have gone up .(my view)
Sides in and around the playoffs floundered,Mansfield/Swindon etc.
We stumbled into 7th
Went down to Exeter in the 2nd leg with injuries, players out of position and very little balance in the side, one winger who had lost his mojo little width in the team,no offering coming down our leftside The group on the bench didn`t include game changers.

The teams entering the play offs gave us little to fear....we couldn`t capitalise on this.
Coventry,fragile when probed with balls into the box and a flapping keeper(we stuffed them on their home turf.)
Exeter a team that was losing their manager whilst entering the
playoffs(not positive)
Notts County,a side that left the Bank punch drunk and on the ropes when we last played them....swamped in the semis by Coventry (plus poor ref decisions)
Evaluating success is did we get promotion in a substandard league 2 last year answer no,did we do well for a first season back in the league then yes, could we have achieved promotion with a larger squad, possibly...(back to back promotion rare)
I will be the first to eat my hat if we achieve a promotion with a small squad but i will also be happy to hear next season that the dressing room door is being ripped off it`s hinges occasionally by players arguing to be played and they are not getting a look in because there are too many blokes after the same shirt, because that might indicate we have a few more heads in the squad to choose a side from.

As has been said before nobody is advocating giant squads just more competition for places to give a greater chance of success.We are guided by the transfer window and there is important business to be done now, come January it`s too late.
This window may define our season ahead.

Anybody thinking that promotion is achievable with a squad size we had last season is deluded in my opinion.(46 game season)
.The facts are there to see we failed to get over the line last season(small margins) and the larger squads fought it out at Wembley with Coventry promoted despite only achieving the same points over the season as us.
Injuries and poor form plus a very average January window allied to the small squad model failed to get LCFC over the line last season.....fact.
The numbers we ran with last year hardly even gave competition for the shirt on a Saturday once injuries kicked in.

There was nothing sparkling about the playoff opponents last season, with a larger squad we could have gone up .(my view)
Sides in and around the playoffs floundered,Mansfield/Swindon etc.
We stumbled into 7th
Went down to Exeter in the 2nd leg with injuries, players out of position and very little balance in the side, one winger who had lost his mojo little width in the team,no offering coming down our leftside The group on the bench didn`t include game changers.

The teams entering the play offs gave us little to fear....we couldn`t capitalise on this.
Coventry,fragile when probed with balls into the box and a flapping keeper(we stuffed them on their home turf.)
Exeter a team that was losing their manager whilst entering the
playoffs(not positive)
Notts County,a side that left the Bank punch drunk and on the ropes when we last played them....swamped in the semis by Coventry (plus poor ref decisions)
Evaluating success is did we get promotion in a substandard league 2 last year answer no,did we do well for a first season back in the league then yes, could we have achieved promotion with a larger squad, possibly...(back to back promotion rare)
I will be the first to eat my hat if we achieve a promotion with a small squad but i will also be happy to hear next season that the dressing room door is being ripped off it`s hinges occasionally by players arguing to be played and they are not getting a look in because there are too many blokes after the same shirt, because that might indicate we have a few more heads in the squad to choose a side from.

As has been said before nobody is advocating giant squads just more competition for places to give a greater chance of success.We are guided by the transfer window and there is important business to be done now, come January it`s too late.
This window may define our season ahead.
Incidentally did unbelievable jeff eat his hat?

We all want a squad of 23-25 from what I understand. Preferably more permanent than on loan. I think it’s just a misunderstanding, nobody wants a squad of 30+

Interesting about us having a bigger squad. It's a fine balance as we're talking about 2 players leaving because they're not getting enough game time (despite 40+ apps last season)
My advice to those players would be: be careful what you wish for.

20/21 permanent signings to start the season with plus 2/3 long term loans. Then add more in January depending on injuries and how we're doing.

cowley is doing a fantastic job, i remember one of his interviews where he said footballers will moan and find an excuse for everything, so the trick is to take away all the reasons for moaning and excuses.

this season we will have that bespoke training ground, state of the art home surface, circa full house for every home game, season ticket and investment money into the budget. get a decent striker and a squad of 23-25 and no-one has any excuses.

A squad of around 24 for me, be it mainly ones contracted to us with some hopefully longer term loans, especially if they do really well and then cannot go back to their parent club.

To me it would be worth the risk leaving us a little shorter in an area for cover if it meant paying a little extra for that marque forward. If DC can hopefully find one in our price range and give us quality in a squad around that figure with a proven striker I reckon most will be very happy.

Its not just about who Danny. Nicky the club and the fans want . Is the player/striker wanting to move to Lincoln many will but as many wont

Last season was new territory for the Cowleys, handling the transfer windows and not being able to bring in loans outside that period a new experience. They stuck to their principles, restated by DC in the interview which prompted this thread. They made mistakes, missed some targets, the resultant small squad held up pretty well but finally seemed to run out of gas in the last few games.

They learn from their mistakes and build on their growing experience, a year on a year wiser. Saw a comment on another thread about the timing of Toffolo's signing, there's a pattern - training ground, Eardley's new contract, the quick signing of Andrade, now Toffolo all send out the same message seemingly at carefully timed intervals, and encourages other targets of similar quality to sign. Highlighting season ticket sales and the likely filling of SB next season all helps.

Sure Danny will miss out on some, but his chances of landing greater quality signings this time round is greater having now had that first successful season back in the league and a clear vision of how to build upon that, he doesn't need to be buying in bulk in Poundland. Keep the faith.

This is a make or break period for new signings,the earlier the better and as Impish says we are in a position to invest and i`m sure it will be a better window than last January.
Good player loans may well be the order of the day.
We have to pay what the market demands (as much as I hate saying that). If that means someone who can score goals consistently then we have to pay that. The market price will be lower if we think we have identified a gem that noone else has spotted, otherwise we are in the same market as everybody elese and if we don't compete for the best at our level, we won't get them. If that is the case we have to accept we are where we are; and that last year we punched slightly above our weight..

scotimp is on the money again we are not awash in cash and can’t afford to get the likes of Stockley.
We have to be realistic but we will get one in.

Following game after we stuffed them 2 defenders were sent to oblivion...replaced immediately,larger squad enabled them to drop players not delivering the goods, a luxury we did not have.
Still can`t believe how Exeter failed to spot Coventry`s basic weakness in defence and instead tried to match their pass and move game at Wembley. all.to no avail.

scotimp is on the money again we are not awash in cash and can’t afford to get the likes of Stockley.

never ever dreamed Stockley was anyone on our target radar.
Stockley was a record signing for Exeter,a side flush with funds from the sale of Ampadu to Chelsea for millions,grimes to swansea,watkins to brentford,Wheeler to QPR most of them out of their academy.(inflow was millions)
It`s cheaper trawling non league Eisa at Cheltenham for example 22 goals, 3rd top scorer in division.
Common denominator in top scorers in league 2 last season was that they were mostly seasoned pros,Kee,Mcnulty,Hylton,Collins,Pope,Akinfenwa...5 out of that 6 now destined for league 1.

Exeter paid about £100k for Stockley. If we had Stockley last season we would have finished top 3. That's my opinion.

We can't afford to buy Stockley but we should be looking for next season's Stockley. If that player comes in on a free then brilliant but if we have to pay £100k we must be able to afford that.