Danny will not panic | Page 3 | Vital Football

Danny will not panic

I'm not sure Danny will be after a 'pure striker' given their likely wage demands.... A lot of our goals have come from the midfield and the back four recently and a player who can see his chances coming and take them will complete our attack force nicely.
Although he is specifically quoted as looking for a centre forward, that significantly improves us. rhead, green, palmer ears burning?

The fixtures are out next Thursday. We don't need the team sorted by mid-June and although we can sort out deals before the end of players contracts every year there are a glut of announcements on the 1st of July for every club and this year will be no different. Deals will have been agreed.

As I said on another similar thread I don't look at any of the signings made by other league 2 clubs since May and think that we have missed out on anyone.

Chill out peeps. It will be in hand

Last season we had the smallest squad of all 92 EFL and PL clubs. That is not a statistic I am at all keen on seeing again.

So you aren't at all keen on seeing us reach the play-offs again?

Some perspective is needed here. Some people have unrealistic fantasies about Lincoln having loads of money and being able to spend a large chunk of it on a brilliant striker who will score us 30 goals next season. Pie in the sky, I'm afraid.

Lincoln have a solid financial position without question, but spending a lot of money on this mythical striker (or on any other player at our level) could prove disastrous if it does not come off. Every transfer is a risk: just ask Barnet about Dave Tarpey, who they signed on big money to propel them to League One. Serious injury in his second game, ruled out for twelve months, no money left to sign a valid replacement, relegated to the National League.

I would much rather see Lincoln build something inexorably solid over the course of several seasons. There seems to be a rabid impatience descending over some sections of support, anxious to win every game and reach League One as soon as we can. It isn't just about the destination, so why not enjoy the journey and make sure we do it the right way?

Summer business so far looks very good to me. We have two very exciting young players replacing some dead weight (Walton, Knott, Stewart, Arnold, Farman). OK, we have lost Woodyard, but that means we already have two very good players where we previously had one. If Danny keeps adding players of that calibre, that will do me. In terms of quality, I think we are already in a better position than we were last season.

Of course we need more players to make a viable squad, but Danny's record so far at Lincoln is probably second to none in British football, and I include the likes of Manchester City in that statement. He has stated on numerous occasions that he likes to work with a smaller squad, of perhaps 24. That has worked for us so far, has it not? He will add a number of players over the next few weeks who will be just as exciting as Andrade and Toffolo. Furthermore, Danny can hardly force players to sign when they are biding their time and weighing up options. That is exactly what the better ones tend to do because they are in demand and receive more offers. The transfer market is a lot more difficult to navigate than most people realise.

No League Two club is signing a lot of players at the moment, and those who have (Colchester, Cheltenham, Port Vale, Stevenage - all bottom-half sides, you will note) have signed a right load of rubbish. The agents try to hold sway at this stage of the window, and the clubs are telling them to get lost. That will change very soon as the agents get pressure from their clients and start to panic.

Some people almost seem to believe we failed in the transfer market last season, which is crazy: we reached the play-offs at the first attempt, finished in the highest position of all the promoted clubs in the top five divisions, and won the Checkatrade Trophy. I prefer to trust the manager who did all of that.

Chill out peeps. It will be in hand

I hope and expect it will be. Funnily enough I remember very similar posts the last couple of windows saying that we will get this striker in that should make a difference?

I don't think he needs to wait any longer as there are quite a few on here in panic mode already by the looks of it :grinning:

I don't see evidence of panic, it's a concern that hasn't been addressed over many months, I will however be a bit more worried if DC doesn't get his targets over the line, especially with the financial clout at his disposal. This is probably the first time that I can probably say that over my near on 40 years of being an Imp.

Andrade and Toffolo (very continental sounding, this Cowley team) are quality acquisitions and that tells me a lot about the transfer policy.

A club the size and muscle of Lincoln can't throw its money or weight around. There has to be some caution and every decision needs to be informed and considered.

DC is taking the right approach. I think he's learned a lot from his first season in the league regarding transfers, and the opportunities and restrictions of the windows.

Teams get reshuffled every six months these days. If DC scatter-guns this summer and brings in 10, as some have suggested they want, you'll have an unfamiliar team, possibly of varying quality, no money in the bank to play with, and a challenge to move players on who haven't worked out.

We have a very good spine mostly contracted for at least another year. So, the better plan is to bring in four or five players you have really done your homework on, then see where you are at in January, and let that inform you for your deals in the winter window.

I think that was the plan last season - although he got burned somewhat in January. This year, he'll have that experience to work with. I have full confidence.

So you aren't at all keen on seeing us reach the play-offs again?

Some perspective is needed here. Some people have unrealistic fantasies about Lincoln having loads of money and being able to spend a large chunk of it on a brilliant striker who will score us 30 goals next season. Pie in the sky, I'm afraid.

Lincoln have a solid financial position without question, but spending a lot of money on this mythical striker (or on any other player at our level) could prove disastrous if it does not come off. Every transfer is a risk: just ask Barnet about Dave Tarpey, who they signed on big money to propel them to League One. Serious injury in his second game, ruled out for twelve months, no money left to sign a valid replacement, relegated to the National League.

I would much rather see Lincoln build something inexorably solid over the course of several seasons. There seems to be a rabid impatience descending over some sections of support, anxious to win every game and reach League One as soon as we can. It isn't just about the destination, so why not enjoy the journey and make sure we do it the right way?

Summer business so far looks very good to me. We have two very exciting young players replacing some dead weight (Walton, Knott, Stewart, Arnold, Farman). OK, we have lost Woodyard, but that means we already have two very good players where we previously had one. If Danny keeps adding players of that calibre, that will do me. In terms of quality, I think we are already in a better position than we were last season.

Of course we need more players to make a viable squad, but Danny's record so far at Lincoln is probably second to none in British football, and I include the likes of Manchester City in that statement. He has stated on numerous occasions that he likes to work with a smaller squad, of perhaps 24. That has worked for us so far, has it not? He will add a number of players over the next few weeks who will be just as exciting as Andrade and Toffolo. Furthermore, Danny can hardly force players to sign when they are biding their time and weighing up options. That is exactly what the better ones tend to do because they are in demand and receive more offers. The transfer market is a lot more difficult to navigate than most people realise.

No League Two club is signing a lot of players at the moment, and those who have (Colchester, Cheltenham, Port Vale, Stevenage - all bottom-half sides, you will note) have signed a right load of rubbish. The agents try to hold sway at this stage of the window, and the clubs are telling them to get lost. That will change very soon as the agents get pressure from their clients and start to panic.

Some people almost seem to believe we failed in the transfer market last season, which is crazy: we reached the play-offs at the first attempt, finished in the highest position of all the promoted clubs in the top five divisions, and won the Checkatrade Trophy. I prefer to trust the manager who did all of that.

I'm not that bothered about the marquee striker as per my thread on the subject. But I think having the smallest squad is an easily avoidable situation and one of those incremental % issues DC is so fond of.

Just because we're doing well it doesn't mean we can't be better... and DC would be absolutely the first to agree with that.

Yes, but I don't think he has any intention of working with a larger squad than he feels comfortable with. I have seen some posters on here talking about having 30 players, which is idiotic at this level. Danny has set out his stall many times in that respect, and we can expect the same next season. I think the squad will number 24 - 20/21 permanent signings plus a few loanees as usual.

Yes, but I don't think he has any intention of working with a larger squad than he feels comfortable with. I have seen some posters on here talking about having 30 players, which is idiotic at this level. Danny has set out his stall many times in that respect, and we can expect the same next season. I think the squad will number 24 - 20/21 permanent signings plus a few loanees as usual.

And I'd be happy with that. But that would be a bigger squad than last season which is kind of my point...

Strikers are a different breed in the sense that their starting points £££ wise are probably higher than other positions at their lowest.

If you can afford to go in like Notts County and spend £250k on two strikers, whilst also paying the wages, signings on fees and agent fees that come with that price tag (bearing in mind Hemmings was on £6k a week at Oxford, too...) then fair enough.

Can County afford it? £6.3m in debt and a credit rating a homeless person would be ashamed of.

County finances

Isn't County part of a group of companies? I'm sure it is and is therefore used to offset/avoid tax.
Think there owner/ chairman Alan Hardy has a good few bob to support there excesssive(alledged) spending!
Not sure if he is in the uk rich list or not!

i believe we started last season with 18 contracted players. + 4 loanees. three of the contracted players were howe, mccombe and walton - so effectively the squad was 19.

if we start the season with 24 effective players it will not be the usual, but it will be showing the management have learned from last season. i am expecting to see that they have learned this and an awful lot more from last season.

a squad of 25 would be a 31% increase from last season ;)

Par has always been 23 for me. Two for every position with somebody like Walton as the third keeper. The Toffolo signing was a key note signing for me. We got away with no cover in NL due to Sam's form, when he did have to concede to injury late on it wasn't a problem as we were already effectively up. Last season no cover there was IMO a big factor in why we did not go further in the playoffs; remember there was no late loan option in The FL. Toffolo is an indication that DC has identified and fixed that problem. The three outstanding and trickier signings for me yet to be resolved are left footed CB (Raggett replacement), CM to adapt to life post Woodyard and the striker. The caveat to that does DC think he can keep Green down the middle with a tactical tweak if the right quality player doesn't sign. I believe other positions especially right footed (wingers, full backs) are easier to solve as there are a greater pool of players.

Par has always been 23 for me. Two for every position with somebody like Walton as the third keeper. The Toffolo signing was a key note signing for me. We got away with no cover in NL due to Sam's form, when he did have to concede to injury late on it wasn't a problem as we were already effectively up. Last season no cover there was IMO a big factor in why we did not go further in the playoffs; remember there was no late loan option in The FL. Toffolo is an indication that DC has identified and fixed that problem. The three outstanding and trickier signings for me yet to be resolved are left footed CB (Raggett replacement), CM to adapt to life post Woodyard and the striker. The caveat to that does DC think he can keep Green down the middle with a tactical tweak if the right quality player doesn't sign. I believe other positions especially right footed (wingers, full backs) are easier to solve as there are a greater pool of players.
to be ready for game 1 the fourth signing is a new keeper. wonder if he will go for improvement on farman [i.e. second keeper, improve the squad] or improvement on vickers [i.e. improve the first 11].

if either/both the striker and central midfielder are left footed, we also add to the balance. but i also really like the fact that frecklington and o'connor have played together successfully in the past too.

one more attacker that is a left footed version of andrade - i.e. scores goals and can play out wide, and we would be ready for august 4 - with the loan period to fill out the squad. uti

to be ready for game 1 the fourth signing is a new keeper. wonder if he will go for improvement on farman [i.e. second keeper, improve the squad] or improvement on vickers [i.e. improve the first 11].

if either/both the striker and central midfielder are left footed, we also add to the balance. but i also really like the fact that frecklington and o'connor have played together successfully in the past too.

one more attacker that is a left footed version of andrade - i.e. scores goals and can play out wide, and we would be ready for august 4 - with the loan period to fill out the squad. uti
Thats if we get O,Connor!