Danny Rose | Page 9 | Vital Football

Danny Rose

He's really starting to get on my tits, I'm 100% behind him regarding racism. But I would make two points, the first is he is undoubtedly financially secured so if he is so fed up with it then walk away.
Secondly, to equate the fines imposed on countries to what he spends on a night out in London says all I need to know about the character of the man.
The sooner he's gone the better as far as I'm concerned, the man bangs on about politics in football. Does he really believe politics does happen in offices and factories up and down the country, he's absolutely clueless.

I think it is illuminating that so many are overlooking the substance of these comments and making it about Rose and his character. One bloke on the radio was effectively blaming him for the Serbians throwing rocks at him.I think more focus on the environment we are asking these young men to ply their trade in is long over due. Football and societies problems needs to be addressed with bravery and real commitment.

I think we're missing the message in the emotion here. Rose has every right (like him, dislike him, doesn't change the facts) to feel aggrieved about being dissed on the field. Whether you are Black, Jewish, Muslim, gay or different some-other-way, you don't deserve to be insulted for it on the pitch. The scum who do this need to be called out and punished for it. Rose's analogy of the fine and his "night out" budget is a good one. The fact that he earns a good wage - probably higher than most of us writing on this forum - doesn't negate the fact that the football associations/leagues who are fined (if they are fined) pay a pittance which does not deter anyone from behaving badly next time. Rose has a pair and isn't afraid to speak his mind. (By the way, for what its worth, I'm white)

I think we're missing the message in the emotion here. Rose has every right (like him, dislike him, doesn't change the facts) to feel aggrieved about being dissed on the field. Whether you are Black, Jewish, Muslim, gay or different some-other-way, you don't deserve to be insulted for it on the pitch. The scum who do this need to be called out and punished for it. Rose's analogy of the fine and his "night out" budget is a good one. The fact that he earns a good wage - probably higher than most of us writing on this forum - doesn't negate the fact that the football associations/leagues who are fined (if they are fined) pay a pittance which does not deter anyone from behaving badly next time. Rose has a pair and isn't afraid to speak his mind. (By the way, for what its worth, I'm white)

Completely agree with this. 100%

Not sure the London night out analogy was a good one from Rose, but fair play to him for the strong message he has delivered. Huge kudos for Raheem Sterling too for the way he is speaking up against racism.

I loved this spot on commentary from Sterling in December when talking how the gutter press reported a white kid (Ben Foden) and a black kid (Tosin Adarabioyo) both buying houses for their mums.

“You have two young players starting out their careers – both play for the same team, both have done the right thing, which is buy a new house for their mothers who have put in a lot of time and love into helping them get where they are,” wrote Sterling. “But look at how the newspapers get their message across for the young black player and then for the young white player. I think this is unacceptable, both innocent, have not done a thing wrong but just by the way it has been worded.

“The young black kid is looked at in a bad light. Which helps fuel racism and aggressive behaviour. So for all the newspapers that don’t understand why people are racist in this day and age all I have to say is have a second thought about fair publicity and give all players an equal chance.”

This is not long after the press called Sterling "sick" and other disgusting comments for having a gun tattoo'd on his leg. His response was "When I was 2 my father died from being gunned down to death. I made a promise to myself I would never touch a gun in my life time, I shoot with my right foot so it has a deeper meaning."

I do think the press and the governing bodies of football have to have a long, hard look at their passive tolerance of racism and get their act together. It starts there and we also need fans self policing and being completely intolerant to other fans being racist.

Good post mate! I’m so sorry for Rose. I think he’s a great player. Can someone explain to me why people call other human beings just like them such malicious things? I can understand opposing supporters trying to shout things that put our players off but lowering themselves to this level is weak and smacks of them being full of fear.

It HAS to be punished though. The FA must punish the club. Make the clubs root it out. If they don’t, big fines! When they hurt financially they’ll soon take notice. Peer pressure from their own fans will stop the idiots, especially when there are big penalties like losing points. A reporting Procedure by fans , a hotline for telling the authorities could work. Report them by seat number.

To me we are still at the dawn of the age of enlightenment. So haters hate hiding behind group think and lazy dehumanizing rhetoric to other. There is only one species man. The rest is just guff dreamed up to control. Jihadist, homophobes, racists, separatist. Haters end of. If we don't end ourselves we will one day put grow them. Till then this battle has to be fought.

He's really starting to get on my tits, I'm 100% behind him regarding racism. But I would make two points, the first is he is undoubtedly financially secured so if he is so fed up with it then walk away.
Secondly, to equate the fines imposed on countries to what he spends on a night out in London says all I need to know about the character of the man.
The sooner he's gone the better as far as I'm concerned, the man bangs on about politics in football. Does he really believe politics does happen in offices and factories up and down the country, he's absolutely clueless.

I have seen some horrendous bullying at the work place. Far more abusive than some chanting from the stands.

He clearly doesn't understand the real world because if he did he wouldn't be doing all these interviews the way he does.

We all agree Racism needs to end but his interviews are not the right way to do it. He isn't intelligent enough to get his point across without pissing millions of fans off.

I think it is illuminating that so many are overlooking the substance of these comments and making it about Rose and his character. One bloke on the radio was effectively blaming him for the Serbians throwing rocks at him.I think more focus on the environment we are asking these young men to ply their trade in is long over due. Football and societies problems needs to be addressed with bravery and real commitment.
Spurdon I was born in London but my parents are from Jamaica, I was brought up in Walthamstow in the sixties and early seventies where skin heads were roaming the streets, my brother, sister and myself had to plot our route to school to avoid them. Danny Rose I suspect has had to endure a fraction of the abuse we were subjected to, any abuse is too much. But quite frankly for him to pretend that his life is in tolerable because he's subjected to racial abuse on a football pitch while earning £100k a week to me says something about his character, compare that to way he deals with it to Sterling. IMO he could do so much to combat racism, but every time he open his mouth it stinks of poor me.

IMO he could do so much to combat racism, but every time he open his mouth it stinks of poor me.
That I agree with 100%.

Unfortunately, when he's verbally on a roll in an interview, he often utters things that can be easily taken out of context. Diplomacy and tact have never been his strength. No doubt we'll hear from him again when he's had a chance to review his comments.

In principle, I acknowledge what he saying and it's about time the authorities did more than give lip service.

Spurdon I was born in London but my parents are from Jamaica, I was brought up in Walthamstow in the sixties and early seventies where skin heads were roaming the streets, my brother, sister and myself had to plot our route to school to avoid them. Danny Rose I suspect has had to endure a fraction of the abuse we were subjected to, any abuse is too much. But quite frankly for him to pretend that his life is in tolerable because he's subjected to racial abuse on a football pitch while earning £100k a week to me says something about his character, compare that to way he deals with it to Sterling. IMO he could do so much to combat racism, but every time he open his mouth it stinks of poor me.

I think it's irreverent mate. And whattaboutry is unhelpful. The racisn of the past was covert and appalling but then as now, nobody should have to endure one drop of abuse at work for anything as foolish as skin colour or sexuality. I don't care what folk think of Rose personally, and ditto what he earns is an irrelevance. As a black man he has every right to talk about his experience, whoever it upsets, or however many people don't like it. He is not in a popularity contest. And its intresting the revisionism being done on Sterling a reviled hate figure who represented everything wrong in the game to a civil rights champion. Why? Because a few journalist sat with him and dug beyond the image the papers created for him.Now he is a good guy, not a gangsta wannabe. We don't know Rose or Sterling be mindful of the meat the media feeds you it's often poisoned. To quote a man whose name escapes me...Fake news?

The racism angle I understand and it's a problem that needs stamping out. There are ways to highlight it perhaps better than implying his job sucks because of it and he can't wait to get out of it.

A few idiots chanting he should be able to rise above, he is better than them and they don't deserve his time or thoughts.

Its a disgrace that this racism is still going on within football. It is also a massive problem that young black men are killing each other on the streets because they are so disillusioned with life, they have no value on the life of others or their own. This is the sad state of society right on our wonderful new stadiums doorstep. The disparity between the two is stark. A glistening state of the art stadium with millionaire footballers inside while outside the people carry knives to kill each other with.

While I sympathise with what Danny has experienced, there are far more grave things going on that perhaps he should be talking about or prioritising before he weighs up his own problems.

I think it's irreverent mate. And whattaboutry is unhelpful. The racisn of the past was covert and appalling but then as now, nobody should have to endure one drop of abuse at work for anything as foolish as skin colour or sexuality. I don't care what folk think of Rose personally, and ditto what he earns is an irrelevance. As a black man he has every right to talk about his experience, whoever it upsets, or however many people don't like it. He is not in a popularity contest. And its intresting the revisionism being done on Sterling a reviled hate figure who represented everything wrong in the game to a civil rights champion. Why? Because a few journalist sat with him and dug beyond the image the papers created for him.Now he is a good guy, not a gangsta wannabe. We don't know Rose or Sterling be mindful of the meat the media feeds you it's often poisoned. To quote a man whose name escapes me...Fake news?
I hear what you are saying, and I certainly wouldn't have brought his earning into it. If he hadn't made that really IMO obnoxious comment about his spending on a night out in London.

He's highlighting his experience. Unfortunately, for the average individual who experiences these things, this doesn't usually happen.

Danny is Danny. Gotta be honest, he gets more latitude from me these days for various reasons.

Football, in general, doesn't do enough. If it did Danny wouldn't be spouting off.

He's highlighting his experience. Unfortunately, for the average individual who experiences these things, this doesn't usually happen.

Danny is Danny. Gotta be honest, he gets more latitude from me these days for various reasons.

Football, in general, doesn't do enough. If it did Danny wouldn't be spouting off.
I agree football doesn't do enough, but IMO the onus is not on football but on each and everyone of us. Until right thinking people stand up and call out anyone they hear making these comments it will not change.
I started watching spurs in the sixties, in the seventies I would be the only black face in the crowd. Many around me were not happy with the racist chants, but unfortunately didn't feel they could say anything for fear of violence. That atmosphere IMO has changed, we need say that is not acceptable and call a Stewart. Believe if this started it would soon end.

For a person that has suffered from depression, I wonder if he's ill-advised on his handling of interviews and content? He did spout off about 'his worth' in his last year's rant. Shame, as we all agree he makes a lot of valid points, but imo, does lack guidance on how to get maximum exposure, without attracting adverse attention.

For a person that has suffered from depression, I wonder if he's ill-advised on his handling of interviews and content? He did spout off about 'his worth' in his last year's rant. Shame, as we all agree he makes a lot of valid points, but imo, does lack guidance on how to get maximum exposure, without attracting adverse attention.

What's interesting about Rose is that you have 2 things going on at once.

The first is racism. The colour of someones skin is totally irrelevant but you still get the wankers who say and do racist things that we can quantify as predujuce. Clearly he experienced that again recently on international duty.

The second is way more subtle though. That's mental health and I've felt for a while that Rose has been a sufferer of that. I think he openly admitted his depression prior to the Wold Cup. I'm no expert but watching Rose's prior interviews implied to me that his brain was so scrambled that he wasn't talking totally compos mentis. What you then see is a different type of societal prejudice in the way fans reacted to him. He was given no slack in certain quarters.

I'm also guessing that when Rose is running up that left wing and suffering from racism, it's a whole lot tougher to deal with based on his mental fragility. His words suggest "fight" but his commentary about finishing his career and going low profile are "flight".

Whilst I get the arguments about his generational wealth and lifestyle compared to other victims, that doesn't mean to say that he is achieving happiness. I feel for him and agree with you that less media exposure is a good way to go for him.