Danny; "it's a shock!!"... | Vital Football

Danny; "it's a shock!!"...

Spursex

Alert Team
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/tott...so-close-to-manchester-city-liverpool-chelsea

Danny Rose 'surprised' Tottenham so close to Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea
10:15 AM
  • Ben Pearce
Danny Rose has said he is surprised that Tottenham are so close to the Premier League leaders, and he feels it is encouraging that they are competing at the top without yet producing their best form.

Spurs, who lost back-to-back fixtures in September, have won their last three. But those victories have come against Brighton, Huddersfield and Cardiff, and Saturday's narrow 1-0 home win over the league's bottom side was indicative of some unconvincing displays.

Rose was therefore surprised when he emerged from the dressing room and discovered Tottenham were only one point behind the leaders -- a gap that has since widened to two points after Chelsea's 3-0 win at Southampton was followed by a 0-0 draw between Liverpool and Manchester City.

"It's a shock," he said. "I knew if we won we'd go third but I didn't realise we'd only be a point behind.

"In some ways we have to be happy with that. I spent a lot of time on the bench last season and I got to watch first-hand how well we can play. I still think we're a bit off that at the minute. Saturday was another ugly win and we have to learn how to kill teams off. We should have scored three or four, easily.

"At the same time we have to be frustrated. The defeat to Watford was very frustrating -- it was a game we should not be losing. The loss to Liverpool, it was probably the right result. It's mixed emotions but we can't complain about where we are now."

Winning while playing below-par has often been a hallmark of great teams and champions, and Rose insisted his side has the quality to maintain their position.
"I do think we're a great team," he said. "It's hard to say it's the sign of champions because we haven't won anything yet.

"But it's a great sign and I'd rather win ugly than lose playing brilliant football. Points are all that matters right now. Hopefully when we get back [from the international break] the performances will come.

"History says under this manager that October, November and December is when we are very strong, and we look forward to it when we get back.

"It literally is just a matter of time [before the performances come]. It doesn't help that we have a lot of injuries at the minute, so it's hard for people to get a run in the team.
"Once we get a few more injured players back and get a consistent team out there on the field, I'm more than confident the performances will come."

Rose has been called up to the England squad for the UEFA Nations League clashes with Croatia and Spain, but his involvement is in doubt after he limped off in the 88th minute of Saturday's match against Cardiff.

"I've just got a sore groin," the left-back said. "Hopefully it's nothing too serious. I'll meet up and England will assess it."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ng-as-tottenham-target-top-form-a3956246.html

Danny Rose warns rivals that winter is coming as Tottenham target top form

Click to follow
ES Sport

danny-rose-061018.jpg

Getty Images

ES Football Newsletter

or register with your social account

I would like to receive news and stats from the Premier League, twice a week by email
Already have an account?

Danny Rose insists it is only a matter of time before Tottenham’s performances match their results after Saturday’s 1-0 win over Cardiff equalled their best-ever start to a Premier League season.

While Arsenal and Chelsea both scored sublime goals in stylish victories this weekend, Eric Dier’s scrappy eighth-minute strike was a fitting winner against 10-man Cardiff. Dier swept home a loose ball from five yards after Davinson Sanchez’s header was blocked — and that was as good as it got for the hosts, who missed a flurry of chances either side of Joe Ralls’s straight red card for a cynical hack on Lucas Moura after an hour.

The unconvincing win moved Spurs to 18 points from eight matches but they are yet to play anywhere approaching their best this season and Mauricio Pochettino said his side “needed to improve a lot”.

Pochettino, who was even unimpressed with the performance in the 3-0 win at Manchester United in August, has become obsessed with the difference between perception and reality — and if the perception is that his side are not playing well, the reality is that they are a part of a fledging five-team title race.

Rose was shocked to learn that they had moved to within a point of League leaders Manchester City before they drew at Liverpool yesterday, but the left-back warned Tottenham’s rivals it will not be long before they hit top gear.

“I knew if we won we could go third but I didn’t realise we’d only be a point behind. That’s a shock,” Rose said.

“We have to be happy with that because I spent a lot of time on the bench last season and I got to watch how well we can play.

"I still think we’re off that at the minute. Cardiff was another ugly win — we have to learn how to kill teams off. We should have scored three or four, easily.”

Told that winning ugly was often the sign of champions, Rose added: “I think we’re a great team but it’s hard to say it’s a sign of champions because we haven’t won anything yet. But it’s a great sign and I’d rather win ugly than lose playing brilliant football. Hopefully when we get back [from the international break], the performances will come.

“History says under this manager that October, November and December is when we’re very strong and we look forward to it when we get back. It literally is just a matter of time. It doesn’t help that we have a lot of injuries.

“Once we get back, we get a few more injured players back and get a consistent team out, I’m more than confident the performances will come.”

Spurs were without five senior players on Saturday and Rose joined the walking wounded after limping off in the 87th-minute with a groin strain.

The defender will be assessed by England’s medical team when he joins up with the squad at St George’s Park this afternoon.

Rose added: “I’ve just got a sore groin. Hopefully, it’s nothing too serious. We’ll have to wait and see how it settles down over the next few days. I’ll meet up and England will assess it.”

Meanwhile, Tottenham’s England youth international goalkeeper Alfie Whiteman has signed a new contract until 2020.

"I've just got a sore groin," the left-back said. "Hopefully it's nothing too serious. I'll meet up and England will assess it."

I think it's bloody stupid for him to be allowed to even join up with England. He's gone on about injuries in the squad, so why take risk?

"History says under this manager that October, November and December is when we are very strong, and we look forward to it when we get back."

Therein lies another problem that needs rectifying. I don't see such issues with Ar$enal who seem to be scoring for fun. Yes, I know, the WC!

"The defeat to Watford was very frustrating -- it was a game we should not be losing "

Yep, Bournemouth put 4 past them at the weekend!

Words of wisdom continue to gush from our Danny . Not having to use his Google button over the summer has probably caused it to stick and not work but it would hardly be beyond the realms of a ten year old to work out our points tally if we won on Saturday . Makes you wonder what world he lives in . Ha ha

I think it's bloody stupid for him to be allowed to even join up with England. He's gone on about injuries in the squad, so why take risk?

"History says under this manager that October, November and December is when we are very strong, and we look forward to it when we get back."

Therein lies another problem that needs rectifying. I don't see such issues with Ar$enal who seem to be scoring for fun. Yes, I know, the WC!

"The defeat to Watford was very frustrating -- it was a game we should not be losing "

Yep, Bournemouth put 4 past them at the weekend!
He uses the word " hopefully" far too much for my liking .
You are so right CS , there is no way he should be joining up with the England squad to be assessed . That is absolute madness . Still ,it's par for the course with him . Nothing is how it should be when it comes to Danny Rose

WW, I have no idea what our medics get paid for. They can't fix injuries and encourage playing when injured! May be we should get Matinez's opinion on Rose seeing he had a lot to say about Vert's injury.

Then Poch said about Dele....he needs to be smarter in managing his injuries.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-says-dele-alli-must-be-smarter-with-injuries

I guess being smarter is a bit too much to ask of Danny!

In my opinion, a very good interview from Danny. Once again, refreshingly honest. Remembering that Liverpool got off to a perfect 6 game start, it's great news that the points gap has closed and we're in touching distance. I think we're all surprised to be honest as we haven't looked the business yet.

I love Danny's fighting talk that we're the team to beat in Oct-Dec. He also talks about the entire group rather than himself. I wouldn't want it any other way.

In my opinion, a very good interview from Danny. Once again, refreshingly honest. Remembering that Liverpool got off to a perfect 6 game start, it's great news that the points gap has closed and we're in touching distance. I think we're all surprised to be honest as we haven't looked the business yet.

I love Danny's fighting talk that we're the team to beat in Oct-Dec. He also talks about the entire group rather than himself. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Don't think he will ever make a club spokesman or ambassador but I agree with you on the fighting talk which is to be admired

I'm not sure if we can pull him, isn't he obligated to go and be assessed?I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the rule was if he played in the club game before the international break he has to go.

I'm not sure if we can pull him, isn't he obligated to go and be assessed?I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the rule was if he played in the club game before the international break he has to go.

It all depends on what the clubs medics say and get agreed to by an 'independent' doctor - although in reality these days it;s just a conversation amongst the England and club peers.

Luke Shaw is out of the England squad if we dont pull Rose we are idiots.

Personally, I would have made Shaw report back to the England camp on Saturday morning and be assessed whether he can make a flight to Seville for the Monday game. It doesn't sound like a massive injury, more of a knock. He did report to the England camp though so they must be happy that he isn't fit to play on Friday evening.

As for Rose, I'm a little surprised that he hasn't pulled out. He apparently had the same issue after the Huddersfield game and groin strains need rest. Ashley Young will no doubt be looking at his phone every 2 mins for the next couple of days !!!

Danny...keep your mouth shut and concentrate on staying fit and returning to your former glory.

I too however, am amazed that we are where we are given we're yet to get out of 2nd gear........as long as we have more gears to go!

Danny kept out of training with England today. He also highly rates Winks saying England could have done with him at the WC.