Danny Cowley outlines his vision of how Lincoln City can produce their own talent | Vital Football

Danny Cowley outlines his vision of how Lincoln City can produce their own talent

Well that reaffirms what I thought after Danny and Clive's interview.

That doesn't sound like someone who is about to leave anytime soon! Why on earth would they be putting in all this time and effort if they were looking to move on in the next couple of years.

I think people are panicking over nothing. I don't think the Cowleys are going anywhere just yet and may even see out their contracts which would be marvellous! Then they could sign a new Championship one or even a new Championship one before their contracts run out :grinning:

Well, that was a very encouraging read. I would also like to see the club giving pro contracts to the more promising 16 and 17 year olds to stop them being whisked away by the big clubs for peanuts if that is permitted under the rules. As wonderful as it may be for youngsters to be courted by Premier sides I do think there are times they would be better served staying with a club where they had a more realistic chance of progressing to be a pro footballer.

Fantastic. Fantastic. Fantastic. It’s really the only way for the Club to remain viable in the long term - and it’s the right way for a true Club to operate - to have youngsters (boys and girls) grow with it rather than be bought in to it later in their career. And off the pitch, the more this happens, the more inspiring it will be for the new generations of fans too.

With the success we’re enjoying, and the off pitch advancements being made, there has never been a better time to be an Imps fan! ⚽️?⚪

That was quite a humbling read to be fair. Neither of the Cowleys are under any obligation whatsoever as first team management to go anywhere near the youth set up. That they do and somehow find the time to 'fit' that in and have such passion for it is as clear an indicator to their integrity that you could wish to see.

Only one song we will be signing over the next few decades

"he`s one of our own" "he`s one of our own"

Good to hear structure for long term planning is in place to develop the kids and youths, let`s hope it bears fruit.

this should be a giant leap forward with the cowley boys on the case.

wouldn't be surprised if they were also drawing up plans for the temporary seating too. and would help build it themselves...

In view of the poor return of the youth system over the years,I would question the viability of developing the academy.Perhaps we would be better developing youngsters that have come from other local academies eg. Forest,Leicester ect. Remember about 40 years ago we had links with Sheffield and also the Lambton Boys club- we had quite a few players who made it in the professional game from those sources eg Phil Turner,Mick Harford.

I think many have a rose-tinted view of our academy, and they are expensive to run,even allowing for funding.There needs to be significant end product to justify the investment.Ellis Chapman may command a fee,but that has been an exception in all honesty

In view of the poor return of the youth system over the years,I would question the viability of developing the academy.Perhaps we would be better developing youngsters that have come from other local academies eg. Forest,Leicester ect. Remember about 40 years ago we had links with Sheffield and also the Lambton Boys club- we had quite a few players who made it in the professional game from those sources eg Phil Turner,Mick Harford.

I think many have a rose-tinted view of our academy, and they are expensive to run,even allowing for funding.There needs to be significant end product to justify the investment.Ellis Chapman may command a fee,but that has been an exception in all honesty
The youth system still runs separately to the Club, though?

The funding they receive presumably has to be spent within the Academy and can't be diverted into the first team and I'm also guessing that they still fundraise shortfalls?

I can't say that I've noticed any contributions from LCFC anywhere in recent years (since 2012-ish?).

We've also started bringing in from other academies. Wasn't Adebayo-Smith released by Watford's system?

Think we're bringing in a lot of players from other clubs , one of the recent yth sides won a national cup and pretty much every player has been released , not so sure of constantly playing premiership clubs away from home is benefitting players either ,

We've also started bringing in from other academies. Wasn't Adebayo-Smith released by Watford's system?
No, he had unsuccessful trials with Watford and Cambridge. He actually came through an organisation called EastSoccerBase in London.

There is a lot of movement between academies. It isn't true that players remain at the same club all the way up to 18 when a decision is made on whether or not to offer a professional contract. Many players have been through two or even three academies by the time they become a professional. Many go through two or three academies before joining Tesco.

On the positive side, what that gives us is the ability to attract these floating (rejected) players from top academies because we have good facilities and a good set up to offer them.

As Harry suggests, quite how effective any academy system can be is open to question.

I think Harry and I (amongst others) have been banging on about the youth system for about 20 years.

I get the community aspects but there has been very little product.

I think that's the point. Danny and Nicky are trying to move it on to a different level. While we were non league we were always going to struggle. This new found success should help bring in better youth players and coaches.

Success breeds success and hopefully a good academy will start bearing fruit.

The fact that Nicky coaches the u8s is unreal. I sort of would have been with notty and Harry before but interesting if we're having a bit more of a proper crack at it, especially the aggressive recruitment at lower age groups.

No, he had unsuccessful trials with Watford and Cambridge. He actually came through an organisation called EastSoccerBase in London.

There is a lot of movement between academies. It isn't true that players remain at the same club all the way up to 18 when a decision is made on whether or not to offer a professional contract. Many players have been through two or even three academies by the time they become a professional. Many go through two or three academies before joining Tesco.

On the positive side, what that gives us is the ability to attract these floating (rejected) players from top academies because we have good facilities and a good set up to offer them.

As Harry suggests, quite how effective any academy system can be is open to question.
And Ellis fits in with Harry's model too as we got him after he had initially been with Leicester's academy but wanted to come home.