Danny Cowley Interview | Page 2 | Vital Football

Danny Cowley Interview

Nothing really new although Danny partially reframes decision to leave as a joint one to generate compensation. Yes, the board did plan for that, as everyone knew they would leave eventually. What I did learn is that the Cowley's gave the board a financial wish list, I would reframe it as an ultimatum in terms of the budget when Huddersfield came calling, the board rejected it and all parties agreed that comp would be the way to go, as not enough money at that point to finance a future promotion on those terms. The virus puts all this into a new context and probably places us is in a better position than some in League one. However it all depends when the 2020/21 season starts and when this one is terminated.

. I’m sure the ‘hatred’ is tongue in cheek and/or Twitter nonsense.
Now I have yet to listen to this so I’m only going by what other people are saying was said, but sounds like it went a lot further than tongue in cheek so to say

Bit like the old days hearing him speaking, nothing we didn't know or have guessed generally, the saga of the Training Ground last summer and presume the poor pitches annoyed them, their urgency and ambition late summer didnt match the Clubs financially, though spoke very well of Clive. Their contracts were a depreciating asset compensation wise to the Club and said their decision to leave suited everyone. Dont think all the supporters would agree with that ! Their children had taken some stick at school but being three teachers in the family surely that would have been predictable.
Hortins questions were not very probing again and little follow up.

Last edited:
Good interview, quite a lot as expected but still like to hear those highlights from his perspective. That 3-2 victory at Forest Green, the League titles, The Cup Run, getting to Wembley. Great times for us all.

Hard to know if the training ground problems and the financial prudence were reasons or excuses for leaving. Probably a combination, coupled to a new challenge at a higher level and a serious increase in wedge. Best for all parties as it turned out.

They still have a house in Lincoln, and love the place, his missus particularly. Was he out on his bike today In the City?

Well worth a listen for those who did not hear it live. But now it’s upwards and onwards for the Imps, under Micheal Appleton.

With the success they had They were always going to be on the radar of bigger clubs however long term i think Michael appleton is going to be better for the club, The biggest gripe i had with Danny was his whinging about budget yet you can not knock what they achieved as they left a career that was secure to go to a potential minefield , I hope they go on to better things not so sure huddersfield will be long term as im not sure where they stand financially.

Quite a good listen but i wish Hortin wouldnt include what he presumes is the answer as part of each question. A fair enough technique for probing something out of young media shy footballers, but Danny is quite capable of thinking of his own answers.

Good interview, quite a lot as expected but still like to hear those highlights from his perspective. That 3-2 victory at Forest Green, the League titles, The Cup Run, getting to Wembley. Great times for us all.

Hard to know if the training ground problems and the financial prudence were reasons or excuses for leaving. Probably a combination, coupled to a new challenge at a higher level and a serious increase in wedge. Best for all parties as it turned out.

They still have a house in Lincoln, and love the place, his missus particularly. Was he out on his bike today In the City?

Well worth a listen for those who did not hear it live. But now it’s upwards and onwards for the Imps, under Micheal Appleton.
One of his highlights the 3-3 v Aldershot, not often that is mentioned

I will probably listen to it at some point. During his time at Lincoln, I listened to every single press conference etc and I did actually learn quite a lot listening to him.

Clive's interview is worth a listen as well.

Nothing in DC's interview that we hadn't already figured our ourselves and if there was a way to keep them then we could have done but ultimately they wanted too much, too soon, which isn't a criticism, it all just came to a natural end. We all know what sort of money is at the top of L1.

Really enjoyed listening to the interview. The departure was a great bit of business by the club in hindsight. Along with Toffolo joining them in January, the amount of money for the Cowleys and Toffolo in the circumstances football now finds its self in, could be very important.

To have your kids coming home from school in tears and what sounded like your car and house targeted, is complete madness, especially considering what they did for the club.

Really enjoyed listening to the interview. The departure was a great bit of business by the club in hindsight. Along with Toffolo joining them in January, the amount of money for the Cowleys and Toffolo in the circumstances football now finds its self in, could be very important.

To have your kids coming home from school in tears and what sounded like your car and house targeted, is complete madness, especially considering what they did for the club.
YOu only have to spend five minutes on FB to know LCFC has as many bellend supporters as other clubs

YOu only have to spend five minutes on FB to know LCFC has as many bellend supporters as other clubs
Sadly this is true, and includes those who think it is funny to put out messages on social media saying that an away game has been cancelled knowing full well that it hasn't. Why do that to your fellow supporters?

Totally agree, that money as you say could be the difference in The Imps surviving the current predicament whereas other clubs may not?

As for reports of targeting his home and upsetting his children, well that is absolutely sickening and unforgivable 🤬

I still think that someday in the future (maybe 5 or perhaps a decades time) they’ll return, a bit like Buckley did at Grimsby or Murph did here? 🤔

Totally agree, that money as you say could be the difference in The Imps surviving the current predicament whereas other clubs may not?

As for reports of targeting his home and upsetting his children, well that is absolutely sickening and unforgivable 🤬

I still think that someday in the future (maybe 5 or perhaps a decades time) they’ll return, a bit like Buckley did at Grimsby or Murph did here? 🤔

The Cowleys probably gave me the best three years in my 60 years of supporting the Imps, and of course you fool yourself into believing they were as committed to LCFC as I always was and will be. They moved for ambition and money, ( to Lincoln and away from Lincoln you could argue ) multiples of what they earned at City and especially as teachers, but at Lincoln they were 'the Club' and their reputation in and around the City was rightly fantastic, their families loved being here we are told. We all knew really that they would move on eventually, but I do wonder whether to a bigger Club, wealth, has made them any happier ? Lincoln has a habit of drawing people back and do wonder if we have not seen the last of them. Probably wishful thinking on my part !!
UTI.

Eddie Howe?

The Cowleys probably gave me the best three years in my 60 years of supporting the Imps, and of course you fool yourself into believing they were as committed to LCFC as I always was and will be. They moved for ambition and money, ( to Lincoln and away from Lincoln you could argue ) multiples of what they earned at City and especially as teachers, but at Lincoln they were 'the Club' and their reputation in and around the City was rightly fantastic, their families loved being here we are told. We all knew really that they would move on eventually, but I do wonder whether to a bigger Club, wealth, has made them any happier ? Lincoln has a habit of drawing people back and do wonder if we have not seen the last of them. Probably wishful thinking on my part !!
UTI.
Their families still love it here (maybe not so much the abuse), I did hear from the horses mouth (shouldn't refer to a lady that way I know) they had no intention of moving