👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman | Page 16 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman

Yes, but it's a funny old game. But it was much more fun watching us play in the 86 point season.

However, there was a feeling of destiny in the season we made the CL. And as Gary will eventually agree with, Pochettino blew it.

Disagree, given how long some players had played without a proper break and the injuries that followed, I think he got us to over-perform.

Gary is right.

Poch signed a load of crap. Imo that was his downfall.

He kept giving tripe like Lamela and Sissoko new deals when they should have been given away for peanuts.

Along the way he lost his ability to sign the right players at the right time.

Poch signed a load of crap. Imo that was his downfall.

He kept giving tripe like Lamela and Sissoko new deals when they should have been given away for peanuts.

Along the way he lost his ability to sign the right players at the right time.

I knew he'd let go to his head when he made his infamous comments after not signing anyone saying that he'd had to 'school levy on transfers on when to buy and when not to'...

I backed him then as I believed he must have known what he was doing - as it turned out, he even looked like he did as he waited to get his two top targets (N'dom and Loco) and we spent nigh on £100 mill....

But their inability to come and hit the ground running did for him.

Regards Levy rating:
3/10 for managerial and player appointments...not prepared to invest in players such as Grealish hurts a lot we had option to buy Bruno went for cheaper and payed for it. Poor decisions cost us then and now.
10/10 for investment in training facility and stadium, we are envy of many many clubs which also fuels their desire to turn us over at home. Morale needs serious injection of destroy all who venture onto our turf!
Levy should let manager select player and pay the fee...no option to consider....

The way I rationalised it in the end was ask a simple question "Was Poch's eleven better than opposition's eleven on any given day?".

I therefore removed all the different layers of complexity that existed between the chairman, the manager, budgets, players attitudes, injuries etc and come to the conclusion that 80-90% of the time Poch had a better eleven than his counterpart. Was he winning or even drawing 80% of the time? Absolutely not. That simple formula worked on Jose as well.

The second thing I did was come to the conclusion that it's OK if multiple people are to blame. Levy was definitely in the blame corner of this conversation as much as his manager, Poch. His running of football operations has been horrendously bad at times.

The saddest part of this is that, like Poch, Levy also needed action taken against him years ago and it didn't happen. Even now, he thinks he's qualified to run football operations, long after Poch was fired. That is the biggest crime at the football club and where more blame should and will continue to go.

Those who remember would have seen me writing over 5 years ago that the club was outgrowing Levy's leadership capabilities in the football world. 5 years later and I'm still waiting.

He imploded. There isn't any doubt that Levy's operating habits influenced that but Pochettino did not deliver when it mattered. Ever.

And that has continued at PSG.

nah Disagree again.

You're too focused on blaming anyone other than the context and the players.

No. I am focussed on the individuals who took the responsibility and were paid extremely well to get results. You know as well as I do how critical leadership is.

You're getting lazy, I know what you mean, but you're not putting much meat on your bones when you're making a point...!

:fish::innocent:

Daniel has certainly achieved a lot over the past few years. He's helped raise the profile of the club, however more still needs to be done. He's also taken a few risks along the way, although unfortunately they haven't quite worked out as hoped.

I've voiced my concerns regarding his judgement in the search for our new head coach, but i'm feeling more confident now & for good reason. In times of crisis he has always come through when it matters most. With that in mind i'm going to follow Ex's lead & sit back until he makes an announcement. I'm confident that he'll do what's best for the club.

Daniel has certainly achieved a lot over the past few years. He's helped raise the profile of the club, however more still needs to be done. He's also taken a few risks along the way, although unfortunately they haven't quite worked out as hoped.

I've voiced my concerns regarding his judgement in the search for our new head coach, but i'm feeling more confident now & for good reason. In times of crisis he has always come through when it matters most. With that in mind i'm going to follow Ex's lead & sit back until he makes an announcement. I'm confident that he'll do what's best for the club.

He's taken risks in a way that would never have done anything else rather than increase his own personal equity. I actually have no concerns about Levy becoming a billionaire from Sky subscribers, season ticket holders and all those revenue streams that grow his personal stake. However, the quid pro quo has to be that us fans get something in return i.e. trophies. He hasn't got long left before the pitch forks come out from the fans in my opinion. We have been getting further away from the vision for about 4 years under his stewardship and it needs to come together.

He's taken risks in a way that would never have done anything else rather than increase his own personal equity. I actually have no concerns about Levy becoming a billionaire from Sky subscribers, season ticket holders and all those revenue streams that grow his personal stake. However, the quid pro quo has to be that us fans get something in return i.e. trophies. He hasn't got long left before the pitch forks come out from the fans in my opinion. We have been getting further away from the vision for about 4 years under his stewardship and it needs to come together.
I'm fully aware of his riches, whether they're deserved or not is another argument for another day.

He doesn't come across as much of a risk taker in my view but he's been forced into a situation as events have unfolded. Mourinho & the Super League are testament to that & neither worked out as planned. Think about it for a moment, to be included in such an elite group, he needed a head coach to match the club's vision. JM was supposed to be that man.

As you're fully aware things didn't work out for the best, & for a multitude of reasons. I'm not going to condone his actions with regards to the Super League fiasco but there was certainly a lot more going on behind the scenes than many of us were made aware of.

As you say, i reckon we need to take a step back & regroup, until such time we can compete with the big 4 on an equal footing.

Last edited:
I'm fully aware of his riches, whether they're deserved or not is another argument for another day.

He doesn't come across as much of a risk taker in my view but he's been forced into a situation as events have unfolded. Mourinho & the Super League are testament to that & neither worked out as planned. Think about it for a moment, to be included in such an elite group, he needed a head coach to match the club's vision. JM was supposed to be that man.

As you're fully aware things didn't work out for the best, & for a multitude of reasons. I'm not going to condone his actions with regards to the Super League fiasco but there was certainly a lot more going on behind the scenes than many of us were made aware of.

As you say, i reckon we need to take a step back & regroup, until such time we can compete with the big 4 on an equal footing.

I agree with all of this....except taking a step back. Time to launch, and find a way to do it. Everyone is reeling. We can surge ahead of some and start catching up to others.

I know how I would do it. Especially if I considered myself a steward of the club, which Levy does.

I agree with all of this....except taking a step back. Time to launch, and find a way to do it. Everyone is reeling. We can surge ahead of some and start catching up to others.

I know how I would do it. Especially if I considered myself a steward of the club, which Levy does.

what would you do?

what would you do?

You and your naffing make work projects. You should have replaced Corbin. :rofl:

Right now, I'd talk to Maple Leaf Sports Enterprises about investing in the club on a purely financial basis. 30% Ownership Private Placement.

That'd give you at least 300 million. Take out the government loan and we are back on a prepandemic footing. That would put me in a position to quickly rebuild my own equity position and pummel some of the competition.

I'd also tell UEFA to naff off and tie them up in court for 10-20 years. I strongly believe the European courts are going to find UEFA doesn't have a leg to stand on and may have to pay reparations.

Last edited by a moderator:
You and your naffing make work projects. You should have replaced Corbin. :rofl:

Right now, I'd talk to Maple Leaf Sports Enterprises about investing in the club on a purely financial basis. 30% Ownership Private Placement.

That'd give you at least 300 million. Take out the government loan and we are back on a prepandemic footing. That would put me in a position to quickly rebuild my own equity position and pummel some of the competition.

I'd also tell UEFA to naff off and tie them up in court for 10-20 years. I strongly believe the European courts are going to find UEFA doesn't have a leg to stand on and may have to pay reparations.

The only part I disagree with is going to court with UEFA, their legal standing is unquestionable, like it or not they'd be fully backed by the Sports Court in Switzerland and the Court of Human rights and the EU - why do that when you know you pay a small fine and put this behind you for good?

As you know, I didn't understand why the private investment/placing didn't happen, I suspect now that the upfront payment of up to £300 mill isn't going to happen, they'll be looking at this all over again.

I was interested to read that a maverick hedge fund has advanced Inter Milan $275 mill with the caveat that if they miss a financial heartbeat he'll take over the club by default. Hence why Inter despite winning the title there will now slash salaries and spending...it's Chinese owners don't have another penny to put in and my guess is the club will be back up for sale again pretty soon.

- My point is there is still a huge appetite for PL debt and investment in the US as it reflects quality, so I expect to see us tap into that sooner than later...