dan burn | Page 2 | Vital Football

dan burn

Disappointed as a supporter that Dan has moved on, however absolutely chuffed that he has got the opportunity to join a premier league side. Really nice guy, very genuine person, could not happen to a better fella. Good luck Dan and hope you are a great success. Thanks for all the great memories.

To the ones on here who are knocking both Dan and the club, shame on you.

How many of you, given the opportunity to better yourselves, would turn down such a great deal. How many would turn down a promotion and say "thanks boss but I'm not going to take that big pay rise and the opportunity to go to a better job". Not many I would wager.

If Whelan had offered the lad a nice improved three year contract last January I'm sure the lad would of signed it,then Brighton would have had to shell out double the £4 mill to get him .
Same old same old from Whelan,I bet he's gutted no one has come in for Powell the money grabbing get.

You cant understand the vitriol tell you what a guy wont sign new contract with us if one was put forward anyway then signs for a prem club wants o come back feck that let the c@nt go lets play our own before playing a 2hat like burn boo him oh ill boo the 2hat

If I could understand this post I might reply.

always been a supporter of big Dan from the first time I saw him in the friendly against Man U. Yes he was a bit raw then but I saw him improve as the seasons progressed. I saw a touch of big Ron Yeats in him that great centre half from Liverpool during the Shankly era.
Best of luck Dan, with luck and hard work on your side you can go far.
Reading some of the comments I come to the conclusion that some of these guys would not recognise a good potential Centre back if he bit them on the arse.It is a good bit of business on Brighton side, I hope there is a sell on clause for I expect this lad to move in the future for a much higher fee.

I’m seeing a pattern with some Latics fans.

- Slag a player off when he signs.

- Slag the club off when said player is linked with a move.

- Slag the player off when he leaves.

All we can ask from our players is to contribute to our success on the field. And contribute a healthy profit when they eventually leave.

For me this is the best bit of business any team has done this window. £4 million with the chance for him to stay and let the new defenders bed in until January. Add to that the fact that it gives us the money to buy Windass and we have held on to Powell. Finish that off with the surplus being used to offer Powell an extended contract and that would be perfect.

Not much left to spare now Oscar. Windass 2.5 million. Garner 1.25 million.
No arguments with that either. Give Will a bit of competition up front and two big lads giving us another option up front.

Neither of these strike me as negative signings. In fact it gives the impression that Cook is going on the offensive with attack being a priority.

With us now having 6 loan signings and only 5 match day squad loan slots available, and barring a major disaster with Kipré, I reckon Dan Burn will be playing with the development squad once he's back from injury.

Mighty Bongsman said:
So why on earth are Brighton signing him? In case they get relegated?If they do then surely there are other defenders of that quality about who they could sign next summer. Surely they have to think that he's good enough for them now but if so then why loan him back for a few months instead of pitching him in to the 1st team squad straight away? Is there that much money in the top flight these days that strugglers such as Brighton can afford to splash £5mill on a back up player in case of injuries & suspensions or in case they get relegated?

Not much left to spare now Oscar. Windass 2.5 million. Garner 1.25 million.

a bit left feeld and awey from being abuot dan burn but.

what mighty b has said and your obversateon on the money it brings back to me the talk i were having lately abuot how the money in footy is being despersed. the questeon that keeps popping up is have it become just one big internateonal money laundering machine. i meen £71mil for a goalkeepr to chelsea. money for pleyers that a cuple of yeers ago would have been seen in the 100s of thousands not these milleons. and so much of it going abroad an all. its the lower clubs that suffer.

now we have mb making a point about a club that realy shouldnt be able to aford the luxury of a £5mil purchase like this then loaning back as they do unless there are other motives like tax or savings in future ect. brings up so many questeons

Totally agree with your observations about the money in football Brick. It has certainly made the game more mercenary and loyalty from and to clubs and supporters seems a thing of the past for many. That's the problem with allowing broadcasters to dictate the terms and flood the game with cash, we don't get people like Whelan investing in their local clubs any more, overseas investors are becoming more the norm. Clubs used to be the pastimes of wealthy local businessmen who "played" at it, now there is so much money at stake that there is no room for sentiment and the clubs are now regarded as vehicles for furthering other intentions.

Its a total shame, but its all part of the modern world we live in.

Cook says Burn broke his foot. Could still only be a couple of weeks. But with these things he only needs another bang and it could go again if he returns too soon.

Interesting comments from Cook about Burn. Effectively stating that whilst he wanted to move to a top flight club he recognised it didn't allow us time to find a replacement and so a compromise with this loan was reached to keep everyone happy. Seems a lot more professional approach from the club, as in recent times they'd have just took the cash and run without any consideration for the consequences. Nice to see Sharpe finally learning from past mistakes.

If Whelan had offered the lad a nice improved three year contract last January I'm sure the lad would of signed it,then Brighton would have had to shell out double the £4 mill to get him .
Same old same old from Whelan,I bet he's gutted no one has come in for Powell the money grabbing get.

But the thing was we were already in talkover talks in January and in L1 with Dan Burn likely still on Championship wage something like 10k a week and looking for more to sign on for longer. We were very hopeful of going up but there was still the risk of us missing out in the second half of the season and we were already losing loads of money due to the size of our wage bill. We were in no position to put the 15k+ Burn probably would've been after into a contract offer at the time due to circumstnaces.

Also if we did give that to Burn at the time then we'd also have to have offered all the other lads in the same boat the same type of deal so you may end in up L1 with a takeover in flux and then you've just put an extra few mill on your wage bill. If We didn't go up that would've killed us, if we did go up it would still need subsidising by rich owners and we know Whelan wasn't going to do that anymore but the potential new owners hadn't agreed to buy the club yet. I know the argument could be but it means we can sell them if that happens, but what if we can't shift them, plenty of clubs sign up players on good money but then find the player wont leave as none of the clubs in for them will match their salary. Giving the new lads contracts at that point would've been quite risky from a financial point of view. I'd still liked to have done it but it's easy to say as a fan it's harder when you are Sharpe and Jackson and you are trying to keep the finances in check in a division where there is zero money.

If we were comfortably in mid table in the Championship at the time and the takeover already done then I'd 100% agree with you, but in this instance I fear we've been victims of bad timing and as frustrating as it is I think our hands were tied.

I think Burn has all the tools to succeed in the Prem, but I get a funny feeling that he may end up back here again in the not too distant future. All the best to him.

I think that this deal is a good one for Brighton, for Dan Burn and for ourselves - they get to see him play at a higher level, Dan gets regular football to prove himself to his jew club and we get to keep the player, with a bit of cash to reinvest in a new Central Defender in January.