Dalian Atkinson dead | Page 2 | Vital Football

Dalian Atkinson dead

Calvin Plummer - 15/8/2016 12:38

Here is a better way to remember him:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15q1lu_dalian-atkinson-goal-wimbledon-2-aston-villa-3-premier-league-3-10-92_sport

This goal is one of the absolute best.
:14:

Pope John XXIII - 15/8/2016 13:54

Woanz - 15/8/2016 13:28

Redandwhite82 - 15/8/2016 12:56

Calvin Plummer - 15/8/2016 12:35

Southern red - 15/8/2016 11:42

Very sad news...I'm disgusted by some of the early reports making it black man dead etc

It's sad news no matter colour/race/religion....

It is sad news no matter what but there are a disproportionate number of black victims in police custody.

It's not as simple as that.

Perhaps a disproportionate amount of black people end up in police custody. Perhaps this is because black people have less opportunity in life and live in poorer areas, perhaps they then turn to crime.

Anyone who thinks the police go out to kill and black person or want to kill a black person in custody is quite simply bonkers.

It's not that they want to its that they don't take appropriate action that they otherwise would. I don't want to use the same example again but if any of the white players that Atkinson played with at Villa were involved in an incident the po po would be far less likely to taser & if they did they'd be straight over with the medical care. Things have improved greatly but there is still regular enquiries into police racism. They may well have been perfectly right in this situation as the usually are but there are many examples of being wrong that make people suspicious of them.

This is why you have q black lives matter campaign last few weeks have seen further Stephen Lawrence evidence requests, anniversaries of previous police deaths & now this. The overt racism seen in America is obviously not happening here but the dismissal of protests by some was nothing short of shameful.

No, it's not.

I have every right to disagree with a protest if i wish. I can disagree with a protest without dismissing the cause.

As with all things forest, it's easy for you to sit there when you are no where near Nottingham and pontificate about things that affect the lives of those who do live here.

And as with all things forest, you are just hot air Woanz. You don't lift a finger for forest and call it a crusade. What are you doing for the black lives matter cause other than supporting a protest you didn't even see in a city miles away that had no effect on you.

And in fact, you aren't even supporting the protest. You just used it as a diversion for an argument you were losing. Its a good job people of colour have better advocates than you, or things will never change

As for your argument about tasering... How do you know?

Surely it depends what the suspect is actually doing rather than their skin colour.

Police taser someone when they feel under threat or to stop a suspect getting away.

If a white footballer made them feel threatened then yes, I would expect them to do exactly the same thing as it is self preservation.

Do people of colour get stopped more? Apparently so. It's difficult to know why this is. It might be their perception is of a 'type' of person that is dodgy, and that might be based on experience and partly informed by race. I have no idea whether statistics support that perception or not.

But we don't want a situation where police are scared to stop a suspect because they are black and they are afraid of being hauled over the coals if they are wrong

So people are stopped disproportionately but the tasering is done fairly? That makes complete sense....

Maybe you should think about what is being said rather than having a ridiculous fixation on winning & losing? Then maybe you'd sound less petty, childish & stupid.

Pope John XXIII - 15/8/2016 12:12

Woanz - 15/8/2016 12:01

makes some of the rather crass comments about the black lives matter protest seem all the more ignorant and stupid now.

RIP

As crass as using the death of a footballer as a platform to have a go at another poster because you lost an argument weeks ago?

That level of crass you mean?

I personally don't know who Atkinson is, nor do I know the facts.

But it's a tragedy in the sense that this is an accidental death whichever way you look at it. Tasers are not meant to kill, although of course they can. I'm going to wait for the facts before making this into something that it might well not be and others should do the same.

All lives matter.

Surprised you didn't know who he was Pope .
Have you got any basic knowledge of football ? :19:

Anyway a real tragedy .
R.I.P.

Woanz - 15/8/2016 14:09

Pope John XXIII - 15/8/2016 13:54

Woanz - 15/8/2016 13:28

Very sad news...I'm disgusted by some of the early reports making it black man dead etc

It is sad news no matter what but there are a disproportionate number of black victims in police custody.

Perhaps a disproportionate amount of black people end up in police custody. Perhaps this is because black people have less opportunity in life and live in poorer areas, perhaps they then turn to crime.

Anyone who thinks the police go out to kill and black person or want to kill a black person in custody is quite simply bonkers.

It's not that they want to its that they don't take appropriate action that they otherwise would. I don't want to use the same example again but if any of the white players that Atkinson played with at Villa were involved in an incident the po po would be far less likely to taser & if they did they'd be straight over with the medical care. Things have improved greatly but there is still regular enquiries into police racism. They may well have been perfectly right in this situation as the usually are but there are many examples of being wrong that make people suspicious of them.

This is why you have q black lives matter campaign last few weeks have seen further Stephen Lawrence evidence requests, anniversaries of previous police deaths & now this. The overt racism seen in America is obviously not happening here but the dismissal of protests by some was nothing short of shameful.

No, it's not.

I have every right to disagree with a protest if i wish. I can disagree with a protest without dismissing the cause.

As with all things forest, it's easy for you to sit there when you are no where near Nottingham and pontificate about things that affect the lives of those who do live here.

And as with all things forest, you are just hot air Woanz. You don't lift a finger for forest and call it a crusade. What are you doing for the black lives matter cause other than supporting a protest you didn't even see in a city miles away that had no effect on you.

And in fact, you aren't even supporting the protest. You just used it as a diversion for an argument you were losing. Its a good job people of colour have better advocates than you, or things will never change

As for your argument about tasering... How do you know?

Surely it depends what the suspect is actually doing rather than their skin colour.

Police taser someone when they feel under threat or to stop a suspect getting away.

If a white footballer made them feel threatened then yes, I would expect them to do exactly the same thing as it is self preservation.

Do people of colour get stopped more? Apparently so. It's difficult to know why this is. It might be their perception is of a 'type' of person that is dodgy, and that might be based on experience and partly informed by race. I have no idea whether statistics support that perception or not.

But we don't want a situation where police are scared to stop a suspect because they are black and they are afraid of being hauled over the coals if they are wrong

So people are stopped disproportionately but the tasering is done fairly? That makes complete sense....

Maybe you should think about what is being said rather than having a ridiculous fixation on winning & losing? Then maybe you'd sound less petty, childish & stupid.

Why doesn't it make sense?

Tasering in an individual situation is done based on the situation.

Are you suggesting that police deliberately taser black people who show absolutely no threat just because they are black and they don't like them?

If you are stopped by police and do absolutely nothing wrong, present no threat at all, cooperate fully, what do you think your chances of being tasered are? Pretty low I would say- 5% at most if police mess up.

Is that higher for people of colour in the same situation? I don't know and you are guessing if you claim you do.

Police are far from perfect and there are without doubt racist elements. Deal with scum of all races enough everyday and it's going to create prejudices and some of those no doubt become racial. It's wrong, but at the same time we cannot afford to tie our polices' hands.

You should take some of your own advice. I disagreed with the protest in Nottingham, which you were no where near. I don't disagree with the cause and never said I did. You trying to play the race card when you were getting battered in an argument about football was truly disgusting.

Getting battered? Dearie me it's nice to see you declaring yourself the clear winner, that's a guarantee of victory right there.

Nice use of the word scum as well. Don't quote my posts anymore your boring pontificating is dull but this argument for arguments sake no matter what the subject matter is truly disgraceful.

I guess it fills your 6 weeks holiday though.

Woanz - 15/8/2016 14:32

Getting battered? Dearie me it's nice to see you declaring yourself the clear winner, that's a guarantee of victory right there.

Nice use of the word scum as well. Don't quote my posts anymore your boring pontificating is dull but this argument for arguments sake no matter what the subject matter is truly disgraceful.

I guess it fills your 6 weeks holiday though.

YOU brought it up. A three week old argument that I had forgotten about and you bring it up in your first post on an RIP thread about a footballer- the circumstances of whose death you know NOTHING.

Have a word with yourself.

Don't get high and mighty over my use of the word scum you hypocrite. It's not like I haven't seen you use words like that before, plus some other choice ones about the people of a certain city in the north west and their recent court case.

And I'm back at work now but no kids so plenty of time if you are really desperate to argue with me some more

Actually it is as simple as that, when comparing like for like crimes, if the criminal is black he is three times more likely to be tasered than a white criminal...

Eye witness reports the police kicking him on the ground.

If that was Andy Townsend, Matt LeTisser or Nigel Winterburn the same would've happened & the reporting would be exactly the same.

Also tops off..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/dalian-atkinson-shot-three-or-four-times-as-he-lay-on-the-ground-claim-eyewitness-a7192441.html

Yeah because if that was Dennis Irwin, Mark Hughes or Tony Cottee that'd certainly have happened.

Dearie me.

very difficult subject matter.

When one genuinely has no class/colour/race/sex prejudice then it's hard to swallow when there are movements 'defending' a particular race/creed/colour/sex.

Sad, it feels like 1983 over there, from here, to me... :(